New Online Teaching Format, Opinions?

Amulya

Suddenly there are these online workshops/classes popping up that are basically an online video you can purchase for a week or so and then it's gone.

What do you guys think? As a teacher? As a student?

As a teacher, would you rather do this than make a DVD instead? And why?

And students, wouldn't you prefer to have a DVD you can watch at home as often as you want and not worry it will be gone after a week?

Darshiva

As a teacher it seems like too much work for too little reward.

As a student, I would much rather either do skype (which approximates a live class in a lot of respects) or have the dvd. Live streaming has turned me off a few instructors I've been looking into online classes with because - for example - if I'm sick for a week, I'm out my money. There's much more to it than that but I'd rather just buy a dvd or organise a private lesson (physical or skype) than go with the live streaming model because I won't get my money's worth from it, no matter the cost. Even if it's free I'd still go to vimeo or youtube for lessons because at least I can recap them later on if I need to!

Last edited:

teela

I know I've stated in other threads that I much prefer purchasing the DVD rather than using online classes because my internet is rather unstable and can go down for days at a time. Even when its up, I have periods where it slows down to a crawl or fades in and out all night. I can only do things that use a fair bit of bandwidth between 10PM and 6 AM which are not the optimum times to view and use an on-line dance class. Furthermore, when I have the DVD, I can go back and review it as much as I desire.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am totally not interested in online classes, live in person classes, or DVDs that you can return to whenever you wish. I suppose an online class is an alternative for anyone who is out of reach of a class, but other than that I honestly don't see the point.
~Mosaic

Amulya

I prefer DVDs too, you can use them for years on end :) Skype lessons don't seem to bad to me when you have a good connection and good web cam.

Darshiva

At least with the skype model you're still getting real-time technique correction, which is very important.

I find it very hard to learn only from video, so one week with a video I've paid for before it disappears is going to frustrate me no end. I do hope that if the model doesn't die a death that at least makers will still sell full-price dvds along side them because otherwise they've lost me as a customer. And those of you who have seen my ever-growing collection know just how much weight that comment has!

Habiba

There was a streaming video I was tempted to get (because of the topic) but I'm busy and don't like that fact that after one week, it will be gone. DVD or forget it.

teela

I've been giving this some thought and I can see a possible use for renting the on-line lessons if there is also the DVD copy available. It could give a potential customer a chance to see if the material is something they want to add to their libraries. A way of previewing all the material first. I know that sometimes, youtube clips do not give the whole picture.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Who has the videos only available for one week?

Actually, can we list who is now doing online video instruction? I know we had a thread on it before, but there are a lot more players now.

Sirène

Who has the videos only available for one week?

Actually, can we list who is now doing online video instruction? I know we had a thread on it before, but there are a lot more players now.

I'm sure they're not the only place, but RaqsTv.com has 1-week rentals. Those I don't mind because they are about $7 each, and most are also available on DVD. I think it's a nice way to sample something without the commitment of full price.

However, just last week RaqsTv also released Zoe Jakes' Workshop "Train Like a Pro." The rental period is longer — your choice of 1, 2 or 3 months — however the price is steeper, $30, $40 and $45 respectively. It is only available as a video stream, and it will not be made available as a DVD or download.

My feelings on the matter are in the other thread.

teela

Outi's is one I would love to have on DVD. I would pay a bit more to get it on DVD but as its only on streaming video, I am out of luck

Habiba

Outi's is one I would love to have on DVD. I would pay a bit more to get it on DVD but as its only on streaming video, I am out of luck

Me too. I would have bought it straight away.

Why is this mode of delivery becoming so popular? What's the benefit for the producers?

Darshiva

Not having to pay for graphic art or physical media (dvd, cases) and printing. It reduces the overheads somewhat meaning that most of the profits go to the teacher instead of paying for the physical product & distribution and associated costs.

Habiba

Not having to pay for graphic art or physical media (dvd, cases) and printing. It reduces the overheads somewhat meaning that most of the profits go to the teacher instead of paying for the physical product & distribution and associated costs.

Thank you Darshiva. As a consumer, I really don't see the benefit at all. It seems a much poorer model so I won't be buying into it.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Oh DUH!!!! (face palm) Of course! Raqs TV.

Now I understand what you guys are talking about. I didn't realize there was some video content that was not available for purchase. THAT really rubs me the wrong way, especially if it's drills or something you would definitely want to repeat over and over again. (I mean gosh, how many times have I practiced to Ranya Renee's Baladi dvd? At least 100, no kidding.)

It's nice to "rent" a dvd to see if it's something you'd want to purchase if the price was super expensive (like the Zoe Jakes 4-dvd set -- I'd want to rent that first to see if it was something I even wanted to CONSIDER owning in my library.) But if the retail price is under $20, I'm more likely to just buy it and then resell it for half of what I paid for it (not unreasonable) if I don't care for it.

I have done some subscription-based online video classes, which change every month or every week, and most of those I like. It keeps the content fresh, just like a new class every week. And the ones I subscribe to aren't THAT expensive. But I really do prefer dvds or at least downloadable content I can keep. It is not unusual for me at all to grab an old 15-year old VHS tape and decide I want to practice with that for a while. But maybe I'm in that weird minority of "information hoarders." :)

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Bhuz TV offers downloads of their content. You can get the class instantly (or for the time it takes to download:)

https://www.bhuz.tv/

edited to take out suggestion of potential violation of TOU.

If you film your own butt practicing along with what's being taught, is that ethically wrong?

Last edited:

teela

Aziyade: I was thinking of something like making a copy of the streaming video but then I was struggling with the ethical question of if I am renting the streaming video and I make a copy via whatever method, is it stealing" I am thinking since this is such new technology, this may be a gray area.
I've seen the Bhuz stuff and want a couple things but again, its the issue of the internet I run into.