good drilling dvds

Ahava_Melantha

I just wanted to drill dancing moves or combinations to expand my skillz and just for days when I can't bring myself to dance improv or choregraphy - something to work on.

and no i haven't checked it out. I will thanx. gotta love cheeky girls, lol.

Sirène

All three of these are great for drilling, though the focus differs:

• Belly by Sandra Vol. 2 — this is what I would consider the more well-rounded of my suggestions; it's an instructional but there is an option for extended practice in the menu
  • Aziza's Ultimate Bellydance Pratice Companion — the crappy camera work makes it look very amateurish, but the actual content is very good
  • The Bellydance Shimmy Workout — it doesn't drill the arms, but your legs will BURN :dance:; of the three, I find this one the most fun

From what I remember, Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah also has killer drills, but it's no longer in my collection. It lacked a "fun" factor that I desperately need if someone is going to torture me. :lol:

Yame

I have to second 2 of Sirene's suggestions.

Belly by Sandra Vol. 2 — I don't have this DVD, so I can't comment on it

Aziza's Ultimate Bellydance Pratice Companion — Very, very good practice companion. I used this one a few times and once I was sick of the video, kept using the actual content for my own drills for about a year. My favorite parts are the hips section, chest section, and shimmy drill. This one is unique from any other DVD or class I've had in that she drills diagonal movement for each isolation. Aziza's instruction is a lot of fun.

The Bellydance Shimmy Workout — I'm not an impartial observer since I am in this DVD, but it's a very good shimmy drill and workout. This one will really get your heart rate going. Sarah's instruction is fun, high energy, and ecouraging so this really keeps you going and pushing you through the workout.

I'd also recommend Rachel Brice's Drills and Yoga DVD, she drills a few isolations and there are 15, 20, and 30 minute options (or is it 15, 30, and 45? I don't remember...) so you can choose them depending on how much time you have. Each isolation is drilled for a few minutes with a lot of focus on technique and muscle engagement. This was the first DVD I used and I credit it for my clean isolations. I used it for months and months, but eventually got sick of it. It's not as fun as the others, and the music is monotonous and repetitive. But the content is very good.

Piocca

I can only comment on the Shimmy Workout and Rachel Brice's DVD (I assume Yame means the Serpentine one?) as I don't have the others. I would recommend them too! I use them if I don't feel like making up my own practice routine (as you said improvising etc.). Even if I don't actually watch them while practising I use the concepts for "lazy days" ;)
I also like the yoga sections on the Serpentine one and particularly the cool down on the Shimmy DVD :dance:
I think they are both structured well and easy to follow. For me the Shimmy DVD is more fun, but Serpentine features drills for every body part.

Daimona

I second (or third?) Aziza's Ultimate BD Companion as well (how could I forget that one?).

I don't like Rachel Brice's Yoga, Isolations and Drills: A Practice Companion (but I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't like yoga, so it may explain why).

Ahava_Melantha

okay thanx. I have the shimmy workout. and I don't do it all at once. I usually do the warm up and then one or two shimmy drills a day. It is fun . .. . usually i can't make it lol. it DOES kill my thighs, lol. :D

I will check out the other.

Yame

I can only comment on the Shimmy Workout and Rachel Brice's DVD (I assume Yame means the Serpentine one?) as I don't have the others. I would recommend them too! I use them if I don't feel like making up my own practice routine (as you said improvising etc.). Even if I don't actually watch them while practising I use the concepts for "lazy days" ;)
I also like the yoga sections on the Serpentine one and particularly the cool down on the Shimmy DVD :dance:
I think they are both structured well and easy to follow. For me the Shimmy DVD is more fun, but Serpentine features drills for every body part.

I was actually referring to the one Daimona says she doesn't like. I'm not a huge fan of yoga either (I like some yoga stretches, but not so much sun salutations and warrior poses) but I did it all anyway and really liked the drills. Maybe it would be better without the yoga, but one can always just do something else while she does yoga.

Serpentine is good too, but I've never done the full thing. I like that she drills the movements with traveling steps, and I was using it for a while, but I find that those movements with those traveling steps aren't really applicable to me since my style is so different from hers. I'd rather drill something I'd actually use...

But it does have a lot more content, a lot of which I can't review since I haven't done it. I love the 30-minute shimmy drill on this DVD. When I was doing it I'd end up doing my own thing and not following her instructions completely, but it was nice to use them as a guideline and they really do keep you going.

Last edited:

Piocca

Oh, I understand (too fast conclusion (don't know the right word :confused:)). Then I don't have the DVD you were referring to...

Okay, I have already been doing yoga before I started bellydancing hence the yoga sections on the Serpentine DVD are a nice variation (I've been doing it rather for relaxing and gentle stretching than being able to do fancy yoga poses anyway).

Serpentine is good too, but I've never done the full thing. I like that she drills the movements with traveling steps, and I was using it for a while, but I find that those movements with those traveling steps aren't really applicable to me since my style is so different from hers. I'd rather drill something I'd actually use...

I feel familiar with this. I modify some parts of the drills, but I like her instruction as a guideline. But as I don't have any comparison to a DVD in Oriental style I can't tell how usable it is in comparison. Also there are no (or not much) combinations (except the Tribal Fusion Choreos) and the drills are rather simple (no complex ones), so maybe it's not the right one in this case...

Birdlight

I can say that Serpentine is very good for drills, you will really feel like you've worked some deep muscles as well. It also has a nice combinations section with combo's from two different choreographies, you could just do combos or learn the whole routine for either.
If you want drills that feel a bit more like dancing the Luscious/Love Potion/Hard Candy series are good fun.

Haven't done the shimmy workout one, quite fancy that, but as i'm waiting for about 3 dvd's at the moment, I shalll have to resist!

Ahava_Melantha

the shimmy workout has a nice warm up and cool down and 6 different 5 min shimmy drills. I aim for 2 a day. it pushes you lol. really good.

Now I'll have to try one of these other drilling dvds.