Thread: First Workshop

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Workshop

How long had you been dancing when you attended your first workshop? What was the topic? I'm just wondering when I should start. I'm wondering if anything that isn't labeled for beginners would be for more experienced dancers?

Post Thanks / Like

I attended my first workshop at a big event were several workshops were given, when I had been dancing for about a year. It was a short workshop, like 1.5 or 2 hours only. It was a beginner's zills workshop, which was absolutely fine with me because I only had had one zill lesson so far.

I think if you're not sure if the workshop is suitable for you, just e-mail the instructor and ask if it's suitable for someone who has been dancing for (x) months. I did that when I wanted to attend a shimmy workshop, but unfortunately that one was canceled

However good luck with your first workshop, I'm sure you'll find something!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sstacy - I think I'd been dancing about 9 months or so and I went to an event with several workshops, making sure I picked the lowest or general experience levels. There was a live tabla one, a baladi choreo, one veil, and probably another one but I can't remember! Some were not too out of my league, some were, er, a bit of a challenge , but I learnt plenty, had fun, and didn't stand out as a complete misfit newbie . Glad I went.

Anyway I agree with Moon - if in doubt contact the organisers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sstacy123 View Post
    How long had you been dancing when you attended your first workshop? What was the topic? I'm just wondering when I should start. I'm wondering if anything that isn't labeled for beginners would be for more experienced dancers?
    I had been dancing a year and a half, and wouldn't have attended the big-name workshop if it hadn't been a gift. If in doubt, contact the organizers and talk to your teacher. And trust your gut about what you're prepared for. My gut told me I would be out of my depth...and I was right. I knew more about my weaknesses than my teacher did.

I recently attended another workshop, and it was "walk-in" level. I wouldn't have needed any prior bellydance experience *at all* to absorb the material. It wasn't labelled for beginners, either.

Do keep in mind that workshops are not like regular classes. Most teachers realize that the students come from all different backgrounds. They'll throw a lot of at you in a short period, and hope that you retain enough of it to make you happy with the experience.

Just pick a workshop that interests you, and remember that *no one* masters everything presented in a workshop. Bring a notepad if you are a taking-notes kind of girl, wear a non-jingly hipscarf, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I was dancing(studying) about nine months when I attended my first workshop with Suzanna Del Vecchio. Our troupe was performing at the show late that day. Since we were preparing for the show, I bought two of Suzanna's videos and began practicng before the workshop. Boy let me tell you, I found her videos very challenging at first, but by the time we attended the workshop, I really felt at ease with her teaching methods and style of dance.
    I agree with finding out about the level of instruction offered but also buy/rent a video of the teacher's style. Especially if it's someone you really admire. This way you may be able to absorb more and enjoy yourself.
    When you are at the workshop, take notes and ask questions privately. No matter what level you are when you walk in you will attain a higher level of dance when you walk out
    Yasmine