Back pain after dancing

Shivany

Hi! I have being practicing Bellydancing for over 1 year now but lately a have being feeling a really strong back pain after I dance. Does anyone know why is this happening and how to avoid it? I would hate to have to stop dancing.

shiradotnet

Hi! I have being practicing Bellydancing for over 1 year now but lately a have being feeling a really strong back pain after I dance. Does anyone know why is this happening and how to avoid it? I would hate to have to stop dancing.

Have someone who REALLY knows what they're doing check your posture. In particular, make sure you don't have a swayback posture, since that can lead to back pain.

Kashmir

There could be something physically wrong - if it is persistent consider seeing a doctor.

If it only happens when you dance it may be a posture problem (many people have good posture when standing but lapse when dancing or when tired) - or it maybe trying moves beyond what you are ready for. Many belly dance moves need good, automatic ab control - that is the core abs automatically switch on and corset your back.

There are also some moves which are just plain bad for you.

What has changed? Are you dancing more often? are you dancing with more force? are you working on new moves? (especially ones that extend the lower back)?

Yame

If you're having serious pain, consult with a doctor. We can't diagnose you. But we can possibly give you some idea of what could be happening, if you could be more specific about what's going on.

Where is this back pain, exactly? Does it feel sharp, or dull? Is it mild or severe, or does it vary? How long after dancing does it start (right away, a few hours, the next day?)? How long is it there before it goes away? Is it there all the time, or only when you do certain things? If the latter, which things? Is it muscular, skeletal, something else?

What moves have you been practicing? How often do you practice them? What changed in your practices or life between the time before you had pain, and when you started feeling pain? Have you ever felt this before? Have you ever injured your back before? Do you have any back problems?

kaza26

the dance it self cant harm your back...its bad posture and wrong done movements that doing the problems..you should check with yourself where you go wrong!

Greek Bonfire

Are you warming up first? Many times if you don't do a proper warmup, your back will ache. Same thing after dancing, doing proper stretches afterwards. If that's not it, please check with a doctor.

Maysoon

yes the same thing happened to me it may be like Greek Bonfire mentioned about warming up properly. I noticed when I started to do core exercises such as pilates or yoga the pain went away slowly and now I'm okay!