Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a great article about going pro from a well-respected dancer based in Florida: So You Want to Be a Professional Belly Dancer… | Carrara Nour | Belly Dancer for Weddings and Events in Orlando

Also, my apologies for being all b!tchy-sounding in my last post (or several) about youknowwho. It's a very sensitive topic around these parts, but we only have the best of intentions I try to tread carefully where I may, though.
    Last edited by BellyDancerJulia; 05-02-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellyDancerJulia View Post
    Here's a great article about going pro from a well-respected dancer based in Florida: So You Want to Be a Professional Belly Dancer… | Carrara Nour | Belly Dancer for Weddings and Events in Orlando

Also, my apologies for being all b!tchy-sounding in my last post (or several) about youknowwho. It's a very sensitive topic around these parts, but we only have the best of intentions I try to tread carefully where I may, though.
    thank you, and i agree that i'm not near ready....and its not that i'm 'a natural' that i think i could be ready in a year it is because i've been dancing quite a while every day. but i definitely understand where you are coming from and i am not saying after a year i'd jump in, obviously i'll reassess when i get there.

i think kalila is a good teacher, i can't say much about her dancing as i haven't seen her do much more than teach. i think the compliment is more that she's surprised that i haven't been to many classes and it is surprising to people for someone to have learned adequately without a teacher the whole way through. don't get me wrong, i've a LONG way to go, i understand this. i'm not trying to step on any toes...

i really appreciate all the input, again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by double_frick View Post
    thank you, and i agree that i'm not near ready....and its not that i'm 'a natural' that i think i could be ready in a year it is because i've been dancing quite a while every day. but i definitely understand where you are coming from and i am not saying after a year i'd jump in, obviously i'll reassess when i get there.

i think kalila is a good teacher, i can't say much about her dancing as i haven't seen her do much more than teach. i think the compliment is more that she's surprised that i haven't been to many classes and it is surprising to people for someone to have learned adequately without a teacher the whole way through. don't get me wrong, i've a LONG way to go, i understand this. i'm not trying to step on any toes...

i really appreciate all the input, again.
    I think that you've done a great job clarifying yourself and completely understand where you are coming from now much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Chiming in...
    I think you've received some very good advice here regarding covering up both with costume, accessories and make-up...
    Yes...I have nearly 20 tattoos and most are fairly well hidden by my costumes, look like henna or look like part of my costume!
    I never had an issue with any Middle Eastern client, audience or club owner regarding my tattoos...ever.
    But...and let me say this emphatically...my tattoos are very feminine and were placed in such a way that they LOOK like part of my 'fantasy costumed look'. I also held off getting quite a few until I "graduated" from working in local restaurants...Your chest piece...which rocks...is also very American, very 'in your face' edgy and doesn't go with the graceful lines of Egyptian style or Turkish cabaret...even American cabaret. SO...yes...you have to make some adjustments for it...It doesn't mean that you cannot HAVE a career, it just means that you have to make concessions to create that "fantasy" look that is yours and yours alone...you may lose some jobs, but...heck...you could lose jobs for almost any reason...so study well, study long and hard and make our community proud!
    Now...having said that...I want to address the deragatory words used to describe ink and the people who have ink...it is childish, unfair, uncalled for and bigoted. Knock it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gia al Qamar View Post
    I never had an issue with any Middle Eastern client, audience or club owner regarding my tattoos...ever.
    Born there? or in the States? Certainly in Sydney those born in Lebanon and who emigrated as adults find it very offensive.
    Now...having said that...I want to address the deragatory words used to describe ink and the people who have ink...it is childish, unfair, uncalled for and bigoted. Knock it off.
    Mmm, so hair removal is grooming but permanently defacing the skin is personal choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Afrit View Post
    Born there? or in the States? Certainly in Sydney those born in Lebanon and who emigrated as adults find it very offensive.

Mmm, so hair removal is grooming but permanently defacing the skin is personal choice?
    Ummm...what?
    My comments were about my personal experience as a pro dancer...in my decades performing, *I* have never had an issue.
    With regard to your odd foray into grooming and hair removal...I don't understand...at all. And your choice of the word 'defacing' tells me that you have far more invested in my personal choices than I like...
    Last edited by Gia al Qamar; 05-03-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    After a year, you will probably be ready for a student show or hafla. Give another 4 years or so (with a steady, suitable teacher) before hitting the paying gigs.
    In studying belly dance over the Web in the last eight years I have noticed quite accidentally two similarities between belly dancers and airplane pilots.

#1 Both require an extensive number of people in the background to enable them to do what they do.

#2 Both require a certain amount of time in practice before qualification, no matter how naturally one takes to it initially. [There are natural pilots, and there are average pilots who wobble and crash before getting it right.]

Emphasis in this case is on #2. Kashmir is right. Log your hours before you try to wear your wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Log your hours before you try to wear your wings.
    There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are very few old, bold pilots.

Post Thanks / Like

...my tattoos are very feminine and were placed in such a way that they LOOK like part of my 'fantasy costumed look'.
    This does raise a VERY good point. Of my whopping entire two tattoos, one cannot readily be seen at any time (nape of neck, covered by hair) - and the other was "engineered" to add to my costuming (lower back). Both display beauty - they're pretty.

If I had the "usual dude tattoos", it wouldn't work as well. In areas where a dancer might have problems with tattoos - s/he'll have far more if they're flaming skulls or somesuch ugliness, instead of something to enhance hir beauty.

Gia's tattoos enhance her beauty - as it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Gia's tattoos enhance her beauty - as it should be.
    Aw! Thanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456