Confused over move names.

Aniseteph

It helps if teachers plant the seeds of "I call it this but you might find other teachers/ schools using different words" in class fairly early on. Also for workshop teachers to be very aware that relying on their own terminology might confuse some students. The Egyptian FTBB and no labels system has advantages!

Duvet

In my post I mentioned 'original' jewel, and 'new' jewel. This was in relation to my own learning history, not to any idea of who popularised/named the move. I hope that didn't cause misunderstanding :). Is a 'jewel' the same as a 'jewel of the Nile', and which one in my learning history does it bear resemblance to?

Jane

In my post I mentioned 'original' jewel, and 'new' jewel. This was in relation to my own learning history, not to any idea of who popularised/named the move. I hope that didn't cause misunderstanding :). Is a 'jewel' the same as a 'jewel of the Nile', and which one in my learning history does it bear resemblance to?

I always called the half horizontal hip twist move a jewel of the Nile, jewel for short. I wonder if your original jewel is what I learned as a jazz box or jazz square.

Duvet

I always called the half horizontal hip twist move a jewel of the Nile, jewel for short. I wonder if your original jewel is what I learned as a jazz box or jazz square.

I think it was a jazz box, (the Turkish Cabaret teacher had a jazz trained background) only it was wider in the strides, and, I think, incorporated hip circles, but it was sooo long ago now, its probably best left forgotten.

Tammyraks

Since I started out in the Salimpour style, I used the names that Jamilia Salimour used for years, then when I got into Egyptians style, I relaxed a little what things were called:D.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Tammy, have you noticed a difference in Jamila's teaching lately, (or people at the school teaching her format) compared to what it was in the 70s? I was talking to Aida al Adawi about it, and she noticed a big difference (and I think she preferred the 70s style.) lol!

Tammyraks

Don't really know, I learned that style in the early 90's. I did have the videos/ dvds from the 80's though. I did take one of Suhaila's workshop in the late 90's, I thought I was going to die, that day. But as for Jamila, I don't know. Is Jamila still teaching?

Tammy, have you noticed a difference in Jamila's teaching lately, (or people at the school teaching her format) compared to what it was in the 70s? I was talking to Aida al Adawi about it, and she noticed a big difference (and I think she preferred the 70s style.) lol!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

She WAS teaching one Saturday a week (down from every Wednesday, I think.) And she teaches one day on the weeklongs, but I think now it's mostly Suhaila or one of the other teachers teaching her style at the studio. Jamila doesn't travel anymore.

Tammyraks

That is pretty amazing that Jamila is still teaching, due to her age:). I admire that.

She WAS teaching one Saturday a week (down from every Wednesday, I think.) And she teaches one day on the weeklongs, but I think now it's mostly Suhaila or one of the other teachers teaching her style at the studio. Jamila doesn't travel anymore.

LadyLoba

Reading over this thread...I remember how confused I was when I first became interested in bellydance..over the names of the moves. I think it helps to understand that different people are going to call them different things, but stick to one person's terms at first...and then as you learn, you can branch out. You'll start to recognize moves and realize that this move that is called "Y" here is what you know as "Z."

Having moves named isn't absolutely necessary, but I found it helped me a lot with my practice notes (the ones I should still be keeping). It's just lot easier to write "try a figure 8, omi, then belly pop" combination or "bicycle hip needs work" than to try to describe the move.