Private Lessons?

gypsy

I'm happy with my teachers and the classes I am taking, (although sometimes it's so crowded there is no room to do the floor stretches!)
But I'm starting to wonder about private lessons-at least in the future.
Does there come a point for a serious student when private lessons are necessary/more beneficial to become the best dancer you can be?
Is it common for an advanced student to take them?
Or is it just as well to take the advanced group classes and some workshops?

khanjar

Do what you feel is right for you.

I started with a course of ten private lessons, I learned quickly then went on to classes where I learned more slowly, but it is in my mind to seek more than the weekly one hour class, to what end, I don't know, but for the present, because I enjoy learning this dance and have new ideas that need to be addressed where in class there is not much possibility of that, but cost is always a concern, so for me, I have to be patient and watch out for workshops and such which might go some way to answering my specific needs.

But when it is I get into employment, then more options will become available to me.

gypsy

So you learned quickly with the private lessons? If you get more out of them then it would be worth the extra cost I guess. Cost if definetly a factor for me too!

khanjar

I learned much quicker with private lessons, in fact nearly the full repertoire the class was learning I learned quickly and well in only ten hours, then I joined the class and became static, just practising and practising but with some combinations and choreos so we learned how it all fits together.

Yes, private lessons are beneficial, but what one also has to consider is why, what is the aim apart from getting better, are you to be a solo dancer out on your own, or do you like the group thing, if the latter then learning privately prevents the group interaction, but there is also the possibility that at the speed a group or class learns what one has learned privately can be undone.

But with groups of dancers do you dance as a group, or do you dance on your own within the group, myself, I tend to try and adopt the latter principle, because I know if I rely on others for the cues, then, I will mess up as I am being lazy and letting others do all the work and if that happens, then comes the question; why dance at all.

Darshiva

Private lessons can be quite beneficial. Choose your instructor carefully, paying attention to their preferred style and how it fits in with yours. If you can, get a good look at any footage you can find of them performing, it will give you an idea of their style and will also give you ideas for private lesson topics.

Always book a private lesson with a clear idea of what you want to learn, that way you will get the best use of your instructor's time.

You may get value from taking a private lesson with your existing instructor (particularly if you are having issues with a particular move, etc) but I feel that you will benefit more from private lessons outside your comfort zone. Find someone with that something you want in your dance and book a private lesson with them.

Last edited:

indrayu

I've had private lessons trying to fix aspects of technique that needed an expert eye and were taking longer than time available in class to improve on. Not with a view to being professional, just being the kind of person who, if doing something at all, wants to do it as well as I can.

Maybe it has just been my bad luck, or the small cities and towns I am usually in, but I don't feel I've had value for money yet. Even after going for teachers whose style was what I wanted and whose students I have seen are very good, and specifying what I wanted from the lesson, it has mostly gone like: "I'd like to work on X, which I feel is Y at the moment" "Ooh, yes, you could do this... or this..." as the teacher goes swirling off around the studio. When they pause near me, there's my chance to say, "Looks good, now can you watch me try?" So they stop for 5 seconds, watch a bit then carry on dancing "Like this... then you could do this.... or this...."

Then there was the one who took me through what could have been a class lesson focusing on one aspect. After about 45 minutes I asked for feedback and she replied "I haven't really seen you dance yet."

:wall:

I persist in believing that there are teachers out there who actually teach, and am at this minute waiting on a call with a lesson time.. waiting for 2 days now, what do you think my chances are?

Don't let me put you off. Many have had very helpful private lessons, and you may well have a great experience. If not, you're not alone :)

Darshiva

Where abouts are you Indrayu? If you can afford a trip to the Goulburn Valley region, I can guarantee you that I'm definitely the opposite of what you've experienced. If you're in Victoria, I can recommend some excellent teachers*, in most areas, who will give you the one-on-one focused instruction you crave. Outside of Victoria, I haven't much experience with instructors but if we're lucky I may happen to know one close enough to you to be worth pursuing.

*follow the bouncing butt instruction annoys me, so I won't send you to an instructor who does that for privates if I can possibly avoid it.

Last edited:

Daimona

Then there was the one who took me through what could have been a class lesson focusing on one aspect. After about 45 minutes I asked for feedback and she replied "I haven't really seen you dance yet."

:wall:

Ouch.. Next time you have a private you have to ask for feedback in the beginning of the lesson, if you don't get it automatically - maybe even if you ask before the lesson.
IMHO getting feedback to improve in a particular subject of dance is all a private lesson should be about.

The more specific you are ("I want to work on this choreography from class X" or "I've got trouble with 3/4 shimmies" , "I've lost to many classes and need a private lesson to catch up" etc), the easier it will be for the teacher to give you what you want.

If the teacher know you and your dancing, it is easier to be more vague ("could you teach me some cool combos?" or "from what you've seen me do, what do I need to work with to become a better dancer?").

I persist in believing that there are teachers out there who actually teach, and am at this minute waiting on a call with a lesson time.. waiting for 2 days now, what do you think my chances are?

Take a private lesson on skype with Darshiva instead (unless you can do it live, of course). :)

indrayu

Thanks, Darshiva. I live at the other end of the country, but usually make a Christmas visit to family in South Aus. Other than that, it's expensive and time-consuming visiting "south", not to mention *winter* (OK, our Northern hemisphere friends are going "You call that winter??")

Take a private lesson on skype with Darshiva instead (unless you can do it live, of course).

Sounds like the way to go-but that would reveal the appaling state I've let my home get into, while I"ve been busy doing more interesting things :lol:

Darshiva

Re the house: you & me both!

I actually don't personally know any teachers in SA but I know people who do. If you like I can ask around the people I know to recommend a teacher that gives more interactive private lessons & does feedback & stuff. (I'll specify 'no following the bouncing butt, please') - this offer being for an Xmas gift to yourself, of course!

Habiba

I have decided to give group classes a rest for the time being and will only be taking privates for the next few months as I want to work as hard as possible on my technique. I find group classes are fabulous for interaction but I need more individual attention now.

The other thing I have factored in is time. The group classes offered by my teacher are in the evenings after work and don't end till late which tires me for the next day. I want to free up my evenings for practice and use the weekends for classes.

If you are hoping to get onto the professional route to eventually perform solo in restaurants etc. do you think foregoing group classes and going private is the way to go?

Daimona

If you are hoping to get onto the professional route to eventually perform solo in restaurants etc. do you think foregoing group classes and going private is the way to go?

The most important thing if you want to go pro is to practice, practice and practice - every day of the year making the best out of what you've got hoping for this to be enough for becoming and being a pro.

It doesn't really matter if you do it in a group class or mainly in private sessions as long as you practice a lot in between classes.

Darshiva

It'll be a while before I'm down south again, so no rush. Thanks again :)

One of the ladies I contacted got back to me. I have a name (and a facebook presence). Keke Hadjandonis teaches egyptian style in the Adelaide area and has offered to help:

I am a teacher who teaches egyptian style so she can contact me about private lessons and I can also put her onto the school where I teach, if there are any special holiday classes, hope that helps :)

Best of luck with your future dance studies, Indrayu.

Kashmir

Depends how much you are getting out of your current classes. With a good teacher and a class at the right level for you, privates are nice but not necessary until you want to start doing solo work (assuming your class does not cater for this - I did know of a group class which led students through their solo development very well - but most concentrate on technique and learning choreographies or general improvisation)

For a private class you need a specific goal. You should let the tutor know what this is in advance. And to get the most out of it you should then go off and work on it in your own time.

Most privates I have had have been very useful. I've only had one dud where the "teacher" couldn't teach (she had been performing for some time but had no idea what a teacher did) and her knowledge was very limited in the area she said was her strength (Middle Eastern styling).

Jameelah

I know this a bit late....

Google Belly dance arabesque in South Australia. Shamira is a faboulous teacher and does private lessons. She is a classical dancer, caberet is her style.

Regan or Rania is mainly tribal and does amazing tribal fusion. (she's been taught by Rachael Brice)

If you don't want private lessons you can do drop in lessons and lessons run 6 days a week all through the day and night.

They also have event regulary too.

xxx Jameelah

indrayu

Thanks,Darshiva. Keke is a new name to me, so I'll try and make contact next time I'm there (usually over the Christmas holiday period, when others are away on holiday too)

Thanks Jameelah. The school you mention has some good holiday programs I've done.

I've had some privates with well-known, respected names but honestly been a bit disappointed. Thorough knowledge, good technique to demonstrate and clear instructions are what you expect from a respected name; for a private lesson, you also want an hour of personal attention to attend to specific issues. That's why you wanted the private lesson and are prepared to pay half a normal term's fees!

Still needing a teacher's undivided attention to help fix my wobbly turns (very hard to see what you're doing wrong while turning!), I decided that a stable, balanced turn is common to many dance forms. The legs and torso are probably, in most cases, doing much the same in the act of turning, it's what comes before, after and around that make it recognisably one dance form or another. So I recently had a private lesson with a ballroom dancing teacher. What a difference! She watched me like a hawk the whole time, I couldn't move a muscle without her noticing something. An instant expansion of my understanding of the moving human body, and instant improvement in some awkward moves in choreographies.

I wouldn't go outside the bellydance realm for help with BD-specific moves such as shimmies, but her expertise and trained eye (she has also been an athletics coach) was just what I'd been hoping for.