Private Lessons?

Kashmir

I've had some privates with well-known, respected names but honestly been a bit disappointed. Thorough knowledge, good technique to demonstrate and clear instructions are what you expect from a respected name; for a private lesson, you also want an hour of personal attention to attend to specific issues.
Names as teachers or dancers? Many people see a great dancer and expect s/he will make a great teacher. Often just the opposite is the case as many good dancers started as good dancers many things that ordinary people struggle with they do naturally.

But even then sometimes privates go wrong. I heard of someone who did a private with a dancer who was known as a teacher. She got them doing basic drills and looked out the window most of the time, smoking. Problem was she was a good teacher - for advanced dancers - she had no interest in people still struggling with what she thought were basics (and many people on this forum would call intermediate - or even advanced) - other than their money.
That's why you wanted the private lesson and are prepared to pay half a normal term's fees!
Yes, I charge half a term for an hour. It is still way below an hour with other dance forms - the Ceroc teacher here charges double what I do. Then I discovered a friend who is a PT charges 4x my rate!

And think about it. That hour includes studio hire, travel, setting up & packing out and possible preparation for the teacher. And in my case, as I'm a independent contractor, I can get double that rate working IT for an hour.

indrayu

But even then sometimes privates go wrong. I heard of someone who did a private with a dancer who was known as a teacher. She got them doing basic drills and looked out the window most of the time, smoking.

:shok:

I don't feel so badly done by now.

gypsy

From the responses here I gather most people DON'T take private lessons. I am surprised actually, since they can be so beneficial. I suppose my instructors could tell me if there is any worth in me trying one and at what point.

Daimona

From the responses here I gather most people DON'T take private lessons. I am surprised actually, since they can be so beneficial. I suppose my instructors could tell me if there is any worth in me trying one and at what point.

As long as you have the fundings and self control to work hard in between the lessons, having privates instead of following regular classes is fine.

BUT if you don't have the fundings for a lot of private lessons OR don't have enough self control to work hard in between to digest the information you get in the private lessons, most people would probably benefit as well from regular classes (and perhaps take a private lessons once in a while when time/money permit it).

Jameelah

Private lessons are beneficial if you arent getting enough out a class. or you want to learn something specific.
I know a few ladies who take private lessons a couple a year for different reasons. I think if you find an awesome teacher and can afford the private lessons then go for it.

I would love to take more private lessons but Its a combination of time and money and a 6 month old! But I do get to two advanced lessons a week so thats better than nothing.:D

gypsy

My teacher charges $75 per hour for private lessons, but a regular group class with her is $18 for 2 hours.
I'm trying to figure out if the extra cost is justified by the value of the private lessons.
Do people become superb dancers without any private lessons?

Jameelah

My teacher charges $75 per hour for private lessons, but a regular group class with her is $18 for 2 hours.
I'm trying to figure out if the extra cost is justified by the value of the private lessons.

um to me that sounds expensive for private lessons. But maybe thats where she covers expenses not so much in lessons.

My school charges $40 an hour (last I knew) and $90 per term (10 classes)

Ive never taken a private lesson alone, had a group troupe private lesson once. While Im not a superb dancer, I do solo performances, shows Haflas etc.

So I say private lessons certainly benefit a dancer but will not necessary make you professional. Many students study at home, film themselves to watch later and ask lessons during class.

Dont take private lessons unless you want to. the benefits are so varied that it depends on teacher and student. But plenty of people become great dancers with out them!!

Kashmir

Is that your goal? To become a superb dancer? Except in rare instances, I would be suprised if a superb dancer came out of just normal group classes. I'd expect they would also do lots of workshops with good teachers and lots of practice and some private classes. Possibly some cross training, too. Oh, and they probably need some natural talent - and possibly exposure to dance and/or Middle Eastern music very early in life.

Do the private class if you want to - and can afford it. Do one to start with and work on the material. Then re-assess whether it was worth it or whether you want to try another teacher. So, sad that Cassandra is now out of action she was a really good teacher (I did both group classes and private classes with her and every minute was top quality).

da Sage

um to me that sounds expensive for private lessons. But maybe thats where she covers expenses not so much in lessons.

It's because the teacher that gypsy is talking about is internationally known (Cassandra Shore). It should be expensive. ;) Private lessons can be had in all price ranges; it depends on what the student is looking for.

Cassandra has recovered from her surgery and has returned to teaching dance. We are very lucky to have her as inspiration and as a teacher in our local community.

Last edited:

Jameelah

It's because the teacher that gypsy is talking about is internationally known (Cassandra Shore). It should be expensive. ;) Private lessons can be had in all price ranges; it depends on what the student is looking for.

Ok that is why she charges more. :D

Kashmir

It's because the teacher that gypsy is talking about is internationally known (Cassandra Shore). It should be expensive. ;)
Yes, I'd paid $75 for a private with Casssandra - well worth the money. A rare example of someone who can dance very well and teach very well.

Jameelah

I'll have to google her in case I ever get a chance for a lesson. I'm assuming shes in USA??

Ive been lucky with my teacher, she too can teach and dance really well. She recenty retired from professionally dancing and now teaches because she loves it. She sold the studio to another teacher also which I think too the stress from teaching now she just loves it and it shows in her dancing.