Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning one thing at a time, or variation

okay, I was thinking about adding some new dvds to my collection and working on them. but then a friends said to work on only one thing a time.

the thing is, one of the things that I work on, usually at least once or twice a week, is beledi. but if I focused on beledi to master it, I think might take years and years and years.

so can I still add others to my repertoire?

usually, in the past what I did was at least one day was baladi, one or two days was choreography and another day or so was drilling with a few min of shimmy drills and improv almost everyday.

what do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it'll take years to get beledi - or any other style. I don't think that means you can't add some other stuff into the mix. But if you spend one of those two days on something else the first task will take twice as long

Post Thanks / Like

I find that if I work on one thing at a time, I get bored & don't finish it. Why not see if you're up to the challenge? In the worst case scenario, she's right & you already have another thing to work on when you're done with the current topic. (although is anyone ever done studying beledi?!)
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that beledi can take years - and I also feel that if you take time off from something, you can actually find you have developed during the time off.

Another consideratino is that if you work on some technique that is of general use to your dancing

Post Thanks / Like

thats exactly my meaning. a dancer never really quits being a studen. so I think I'll continue beledi and take a day or so to study other things also. and I don't think it'll really take that 2x as long because one of my favorite new improv songs, it follows beledi percussion style. so . . . i think it will still help. thanx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    I find that if I work on one thing at a time, I get bored & don't finish it. Why not see if you're up to the challenge? In the worst case scenario, she's right & you already have another thing to work on when you're done with the current topic. (although is anyone ever done studying beledi?!)
    No, ever - nor do I want it to be

Post Thanks / Like

I think it helps to do a bit of something else and see a bigger picture. For a start it helps if you get bored or stuck (leaving it for a little while is better than frustrating yourself), and you get a better feel and understanding for what makes one style what it is when you've watched and worked on different styles. It's good to have something to compare and contrast with.