Tight quadratus lumborum

chirel

Hi,

I just found out that my quadratus lumborum is really tight on the right side. I can see a clear difference on my waistlines on both sides and I feel this annoying sloght tightness on my right side at almost all times. I discovered a strech for it by accident and the muscle felt like a piece of wood instead of muscle. I looked up other streches and will get a massage for it of course, but what I'd like to ask here is this: Is there some belly dance moves (for a beginner) that are especially good for releasing this muscle? Are there moves that I should avoid while I have this discrepancy?

shiradotnet

I injured my quadratus lumborum in a car accident many years ago, before I started belly dancing. My situation was complicated by the fact that I had scoliosis (curvature of the spine), which you might possibly also have since you said you can see the difference in your waistline. (You'd need a doctor to diagnose you to be sure.)

My quadratus lumborum has always particularly appreciated rib cage circles and figure 8's. Actually, just about anything that requires mobility of the hips will make my quadratus happy - lifts/drops, circles, etc. It likes shimmies a lot, too because shimmies can help release muscle tension. My quadratus loves it when I belly dance regularly, at least 1-2 times a week, and it gets angry if I take a month or longer break.

If your quadratus has been this way a long time, a simple massage might not be enough to tame it because the fascia may have become rigid/congested. You may want to choose a therapist who offers myofascial release, and it may take a number of treatments over time.

chirel

Oh wow, thank you for this answer :) I'll start practising those moves soon :)

Actually a doctor has checked my spine (and overall pisture) about ten years ago. He didn't find scoliosis nor difference in leg leght. All he mentioned was that I have a weak spot at my lover back and a tight spot at my upper back (at about T12) if I remember correctly. I think I've managed to build up muscle strenght to support my lover back and recently I've been working on my thoracic spine, finally. (Yes I'm a bit slow and it took me this long to realize that I like to move and be active :D )

I'm low on money, so I'm not sure I can manage a special therapist... unless I can talk the student health care to arrange a time for one. So for the time being I'll have to make do with streches, mobilization and massage.

Last edited: