Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the video and thought it very sweet. It showcases varying levels and the students/performers look like they are having a wonderful time. I loved the pink costumes

As I said before, use this time to find a new teacher you resonate with. I understand your predicament in that it's not easy to find a teacher nearby, but where there's a will.... ;-) And really, a class, the teacher, the syllabus and even the students all play a part in how you feel and whether it's your cup of tea. I went to a school which was terribly cliquey (which I will one day write more about) but rather than complain, I got off my proverbial and looked elsewhere, even when I thought the search was futile and voila, I found a wonderful teacher who taught the exact style I was looking for.

So my advice is to let go and move forward. You'll eventually find the teacher who you are meant to find.
    Last edited by Habiba; 05-07-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Appalling spelling of a particular word! It was late at night (my excuse at least!)

Post Thanks / Like

If she was the only teacher in town and I wanted to pursue my bd studies (with or without her), I wouldn't write that letter because you'll never know how she will react on it. Sometimes it could be useful to have a good and polite tone with your present 'enemy', as things could change in the future and she may be a useful resource for you in the future.

Forget about the choreography and concentrate on some of the elements in it, such as specific moves and/or combinations. Choreographies may not be the right thing for you right now, but learning how moves are combined to go with the music will still be valuable for you on your future dance path even if you prefer drills at the moment.

As you are still early on your dance path, learning from youtube and videos are ok, but you really need feedback on your technique to be sure you won't get youself bad habits. If you cannot find anyone else offering live teaching in town or nearby, or you will not work with the current teacher at the moment, try online tuitition such as private skype lessons with someone else. There are more and more dancers offering this now.

ETA: (Didn't we have a thread about skype lesson providers previously?)
    Last edited by Daimona; 05-07-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

As I've been reading this topic I can't help but think of a thread I started a while ago on " the 8 most important lessons?". When a person decides to take up belly dancing the starting experience can be crucial in whether the person continues or not.

Shanazel is on the money by pointing out the teachers side as it can be a difficult task trying to keep everyone satisfied. With the majority of the class at a more advanced level the instructor has to go with more advanced concepts for their sake.

It looks like there are unsolvable issues that have brewed up between instructor and student in this case.Maybe it can be used as a learning tool.

A hint for instructors might be to talk with the Newbie before the start of the session and explain to them that there are more advanced students and that it might seem very complex at the start. Give them one or two basic moves to focus and work on each week that they can practise at home. Encourage them to try and keep up as best as they can through the majority of the class time but also assure them that feeling clumsy and confused at the start is normal (I hope that's right as that's the way I felt when I started).

At the end of class just ask how they made out and again assure them that with practise it'll all start to fall into place. Just a small amount of encouragement can go along way.

I'm finding out that there is a lifetime of learning that goes with bellydance and that there can be a lifetime of enjoyment from it. Shake off this first experience and find a different class or start to learn at home by yourself.

P.S. I too have had the benefit of a Shanazel lecture. She means well and is trying to help you (and others who are reading this) become more self reliant.

New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Issues with my teacher?

Hi Starling, I was wondering, how do the other students feel about her, and have they taken this beginner course with her more than once? If so - it isn't quite a beginner class, but maybe you could speak with one of them about practicing together sometime or asking them about one particuliar partof thte choreo before class or after? Of course if the class is really cliquey, then perhaps it isn't a good fit for you - also does the teacher teach at other venues and does she do privates, sometimes one or two private lessons can make a real difference - one in both getting to know each other. Just a couple of thoughts from someone who has been the absolute newbie in a beginner class that wasn't really one (as some of the ladies have taken the same beginner course for years) - as there are different levels of beginner class. If you do have a private lesson have in mind a specific idea of what you want to practice. Hope this helps. It's also possible that she is just bored with teaching or isn't a good teacher. which sometimes unfortunately happens. Creaks
    ps one other thing, just sort of listen and observe how she interacts with the other students and how they interact with her, things they say before class or when leaving the class, you can learn a lot by these observations
    Last edited by Creaky Old Dancer; 05-07-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: had another thought

Post Thanks / Like

I've been following this thread with some interest, as I am a teacher at a rec center. I just wanted to point out that many teachers do prepare their classes for student recitals at the end of the year, before summer break. Perhaps this is the situation you have found yourself in?

Many teachers (myself included) videotape class choreography or combinations and post them to a private YouTube channel so students can access them outside of class. Smart phones with video cameras make this really easy to do. If you have a smart phone, perhaps she would let you videotape a few drills or basic movements for your own personal reference as a study aide.

Anyway, hope you don't give up on the dance just yet. You say you are older, out of shape and have always felt disconnected from your physicality, so you have to be very patient and give yourself time to absorb the basics. I understand your frustration with a choreography class. I hope you will try speaking directly to the teacher before or after class rather than writing a negative letter to the rec center. I'm not sure that a letter will improve her teaching or your dancing.

Belly dance is a small community, even on-line, I find it's best to avoid drama and creating hard feelings, if at all possible. You have legitimate concerns that should be addressed with the teacher. The rec center folks probably don't know much about teaching a belly dance class. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dunyah; 05-07-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I did indeed take my outline and a pencil, but it'll be a while before I can learn dance steps and run to the back of the room to write and back to dance, especially as often as she changed and re-changed the steps…
    A hint: you don’t write down every change at the time the change is made. After class, you grab your notes and write down the final steps in a way you can understand them. This is where you grab the teacher or a savvy student if necessary and say, “Okay, do I understand this correctly?”
    My teacher covered each step for three to five minutes, period, and for whatever reason, I'd get home all excited to practice, and I'd have no memory of what we did in class… I kept telling her I couldn’t possibly learn to dance in one hour a week, so every week I asked if she'd thought of a way I could practice between classes. It didn't have to be a DVD or Youtube. As I said, I'm practically a professional learner.
    To quote my high school history professor (a brilliant man): "Do you wish to be fed facts like a baby bird is fed grubs or are you willing to incur discomfort in order to learn?"

How did you practice between classes when you were getting your degrees? I always reviewed the material from class and if I was particularly interested I did independent research. (The most important thing I learned through higher education was how to look stuff up.) Write down the name of the step and see if you can find it online (I couldn’t find harem waltz but found camel, hip lift, and maya easily). You can take notes on the movements in words you can relate to (e.g. weight on left leg, right leg bent in front of body with ball of foot on floor and heel raised. Lift right hip.) If you have a cell phone that allows you to take videos, ask permission to record the movements.

P.S. I too have had the benefit of a Shanazel lecture. She means well and is trying to help you (and others who are reading this) become more self reliant.

Well, bless your heart and your generous nature, Big Jim. Consider yourself hugged. J
    Last edited by Shanazel; 05-08-2012 at 04:25 AM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starling View Post
    I did indeed take my outline and a pencil, but it'll be a while before I can learn dance steps and run to the back of the room to write and back to dance, especially as often as she changed and re-changed the steps.
    The pen and paper is for after you have the combinations in your body. That is, the order of the combinations - but you need to be able to do them first. Seriously, once a year I attend a weeklong with 8-14 different choreographies. If I stopped and tried taking notes at the start I'd never get any of them. Instead I concentrate on moving. Then if I really like something I'll list the combinations and any special notes in the break - and never before I can do each one.
    Quote Originally Posted by starling View Post
    That's the point I was trying to make with her. I kept telling her I couldn’t possibly learn to dance in one hour a week, so every week I asked if she'd thought of a way I could practice between classes. It didn't have to be a DVD or Youtube. As I said, I'm practically a professional learner. She could have recommended a book describing the specific steps we were learning, or she could have told me the style she teaches so I could look it up myself. As you said, harem waltz isn't in your vocabulary, and I've learned that people call different belly dance steps by different names and they all teach steps a little differently. And that was the problem I ran into when I tried to learn on Youtube.
    Belly dance doesn't really work that way - and you can end up doing more damage than good (using a book or YouTube). At this stage of your learning stick to what your teacher is teaching. First you need to learn the individual moves - the words. Go home an practice single words (a hip rock , a hip drop, a shoulder shimmy). Make sure you are doing each correctly. Once you can form words go for the phrases. The choreography is a paragraph - leave it for the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Starling, I don't know why I didn't think to ask this before! Do you have a cam corder (or even a digital camera that takes video)? If you do, and if your teacher doesn't object to it, in addition to your notes, record your class so that you can take it home and practice. That way, you can remember what you did in class, what your teacher's instructions were, and you would (hopefully) have any changes recorded for you to remember. Recording yourself when you practice at home is helpful, too, especially since usually at home, we don't have access to nice studio mirrors.

Just one thing: don't upload your class videos on YouTube. The other ladies in your class might not appreciate it, plus rival troupes (at least the ones without a conscience) might steal your teacher's/troupe's ideas or moves for any choreo y'all are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
    How did you practice between classes when you were getting your degrees? I always reviewed the material from class and if I was particularly interested I did independent research. (The most important thing I learned through higher education was how to look stuff up.) Write down the name of the step and see if you can find it online (I couldn’t find harem waltz but found camel, hip lift, and maya easily).
    Some moves do have weird names. Some names are common for the same moves, some may have a certain name, but end up being a different move entirely. @_____@ And then, some teachers or classes just get downright creative when we don't know what else to call something. For instance, in one of our dances, we have a combo of moves that are called thus accordingly: "Giving...I'm cute...Look at my tush...Jesus."

Don't ask...

Oh, shoot, I just read Shanazel's suggestion to use your phone camera...must learn to read all replies, must learn to read all replies!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 05-08-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You write something like that, then add "don't ask." Right. As if. I am officially asking, Farasha. If you don't tell me I am liable to dream about Jesus looking at cute tushes. You are talking about Jesus Martinez down the street, right? And all this time I thought he was a boob man.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Ummmmm, nope, we're talking about the Son of God here! xD

I'm not good at explaining moves via typing, but I'll try: The "giving" is where we extend our arms to the right corner, "I'm cute," we do a quarter turn (?) to the left corner, you hold your left hand to your cheek and extend your right arm to said corner, then you turn again one-quarter turn to the next corner counter-clockwise, stick out your right hip while holding the right hand to your cheek and extending the left arm ("Look at my tush"), then you finish by facing the back wall in a T or cross formation ("Jesus").

Of course, the last two, "Look at my tush, Jesus," could be taken two ways:

"Look at my tush, Jesus" (I have a cute tush! )

OR

"Look at my tush...JESUS!!!" @______@;;;

xD

Sorry Starling, thread hijack over! ^^;;;
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 05-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast