Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry, Starling, you had so negative experience! But I am glad you are planning to keep dancing. "Forgetting" to bring choreography notes and dismissing your questions are unacceptable. I would feel terrible as a student of a such disrespectful instructor!

Yes, there are o-line lessons and very good DVDs for beginners. I drill a lot at home with DVDs, my teacher emails us choreography notes and music. She also lets us to videotape her, so we can practice at home. I had a few bumpy moments with my teacher (more of a misunderstanding) in two years, but we talked and cleared it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iBellyDance View Post
    "Forgetting" to bring choreography notes and dismissing your questions are unacceptable. I would feel terrible as a student of a such disrespectful instructor!
    I don't think students should expect a written choreography. I do provide one for my beginner students - but only after I believe they have it in their body and in quite sparse detail - more a nudge than something you could learn it from scratch. This is because I believe written notes is not the way to learn dance. You have to experience it.

And I don't think I've ever been to a workshop where choreography notes have been handed out - and I've been to about a thousand hours of those with a range of teachers.

As for the questions - without going back to the start of the thread, I believe she wanted DVD recomendations. Was she willing to pay for the research time involved? Teachers don't use beginner DVDs and there is no reason why they should be familiar with them - unless there is something exceptional that has been flagged. You pay the teacher to appear in front of you for a certain time appropriately prepared for the course and specific lesson. Many teachers will give more of themselves but that isn't what you are paying for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starling View Post
    The egos, rudeness, defensiveness and petty dramas that others of you seem to enjoy from the safety of your keyboards is mystifying. Do you talk to people like that in real life?
    Oh, the irony...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starling View Post
    The egos, rudeness, defensiveness and petty dramas that others of you seem to enjoy from the safety of your keyboards is mystifying. Do you talk to people like that in real life?
    Yes, actually

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I am known for my daily doses of sarcasm, humor and education.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the feeling the OP won't be back in this forum.

It really is too bad when things like this happen. I know for certain that the people here are very kind and helpful, but there is only so much helping a person can do. In anything we learn, a person must be willing to do a little leg work of his or her own. Teachers can only do so much.

Ah, well.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I feel bad for the teacher. This thread is being discussed on FB and I'm pretty sure she knows what has been posted.

Over the years I've had students want me to videotape the combinations we are learning, or the choreographies. They want detailed notes on dances or on "how to do the moves." I don't mind doing it, but it's a HECKOFALOT of work and takes up a lot of time. And if I get ONE student out of 20 to say thank you, I consider it a win.

I have students ask for dvd recommendations all the time. I always direct them to Leila of Cairo's dvd, which goes over the basics over and over and over and over again. It's great for drilling, but yet when I ask some students how they are coming along with it, I often hear "I watched it and it was boring."

Perhaps I need to make a note in my recommendation email that WATCHING the dvd is not the point.

For years I gave handouts for each class. Now I give students time after class to write things down. For a lot of people, if it's not in their own words and in their own handwriting, they don't get anything out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I hope the teacher drops in and realizes she's got some support as well. It just takes one disgruntled student to make one's life miserable., especially with FB.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Issues with my teacher

Okay Shanie stop that I was going to post that. Yeah you never know when you're only hearing one side of a story. Creaks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iBellyDance
    I had a few bumpy moments with my teacher (more of a misunderstanding) in two years, but we talked and cleared it.
    . It's too easy to hear a passing remark and take it out of context or read too much into it. "Basics are boring" could be a serious teaching philosophy - worrying - or a flippant remark from someone who knows that they are important but is going to slip them under the radar with some choreographies. Until you get to know them more it's hard to tell if it's just that you aren't quite on the same wavelength.

FB - dontchajustloveit? (No).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast