drilling vs technique

Ahava_Melantha

right now I am trying to not get dvds from ppl I don't like.

sadie - so skilled but leaves me cold
same for ava fleming.

right now I would love to expand my skillz but I'm not sure if I should be focusing on drills or technique?

should I expand myself to egyptian dvds?I would love some help and ideas thanx.

Kashmir

I'd suggest performance DVDs in style you think you might like. From there you might see aspects of your dance that you would like to work on.

Personally I don't see the point of drilling DVDs - if you want to drill - drill. The DVD won't give you feedback. Money is better spent on spmething to watch or learning technique or a particualr style.

Darshiva

Kashmir, it really does depend on how you learn. For some people, follow the bouncing butt doesn't work, so working from performance videos isn't going to be a reliable way of learning. This is why instructional dvds are popular - because (when they are good) the moves are broken down for you.

For those of us who like movement breakdown, I've been going through my dvds recently in terms of content. The best instructors in terms of breaking down movment (from my collection) are: Ranya Renee, Ava Fleming, Keti Sharif and Michelle Joyce. The best chaptering (in terms of being able to find the specific move or combination you want with a minimum of fuss) is provided by dvds from Cheeky Girls by a clear lead, followed by World Dance NY and IAMED - in that order.

Ahava, if you don't like movement breakdown, follow Kashmir's advice to the letter, she knows what she's talking about. However, if you do like movement breakdown, see if you can find dancers you DO like in the Cheeky Girls or WDNY catalogues because the chaptering of their dvds is excellent.

Last edited:

Kashmir

Kashmir, it really does depend on how you learn. For some people, follow the bouncing butt doesn't work, so working from performance videos isn't going to be a reliable way of learning. This is why instructional dvds are popular - because (when they are good) the moves are broken down for you.
I was thinking of two types of instructional DVD (the OP asked about drilling vs technique) - those that basically drill you through moves and those that teach through breakdown (often with little or no drilling - eg Shareen el Safy's DVDs). I don't see the point of having a DVD that just drills ie most of the time is spent with the student drilling a few moves.

To choose what technique she may want to follow up on I suggested performance DVDs - rather than learning technique through them. I agree - very few people can learn that way - and my own learning through follow the bouncing butt was with lots of repetition aimed at people learning - while most performance DVDs are ... performances.

Ahava_Melantha

okay, I haven't tried Ava fleming as of yet, and I probably won't unless I can borrow from someone else because I am sort of afraid shes gonna leave me just as cold as Sadie does or whatever.

I am a very visual learner and I actually have been able to learn moves and styles just from watching over and over and over again.

but on the other hand I need SOME drilling or else I just go all out of control. it keeps my bd practise more balanced.

and I do for sure LOVE ranya renee.

Ahava_Melantha

now the only problem is . . . some of my FAVORITE belly dancers are russians and I have NO idea how to get a performance dvd from over there lol

Darshiva

Go to google translate/babelfish, etc. Set to 'english to russian', type in the name of the dancer(s) you want to find as well as the word 'dvd' and press enter. Paste the results into your preferred search engine and you should hit upon some results.

Also, apologies for any trod on toes, I'm feeling quite incoherent & ill today and am often missing bits & pieces of posts. Makes for interesting, if sometimes obnoxious, replies.

Habiba

I have had the same query too - instructional or drilling. I do feel I learnt a lot from Michelle Joyce's "Drills Drills Drills" DVD as I was able to finally learn some of the moves that had previously eluded me by sheer repetition alone. So I'm rather fond of the drilling method for my learning style.

I'm also studying from Ranya Renee's videos and again, I do them every night sure enough, the difference in my dancing has been significant.

I could do the drills without aid - that is true - but I enjoy having a guide in front of me leading the way. As I become more confident, perhaps that will change.

Ahava_Melantha

one one point - I looked it up and no such luck for russian belly dance dvds. but I looked on a local facebook group and maybe a russian belly dancer can help me.

one 2end point, yeah I think they both can help. because I know how to belly dance but drilling does help me. leaving me to my own accord is dangerous, lol.