Building my own exercise routine

chirel

Elsewhere I just confessed that I've been mostly using Neena and Veena basic belly dance work out video (because it was the closest thing to my level when I started two months ago - my level being flat on my back in bed...). Since i've added technique drills and improvising to music. I start my routine with a warm up and some moves that are supposed to mobilize the thoracic spine (they really work!). I end with streches. I do this six days a week, and I also do ashtanga yoga and pilates nes a week both.

Now my problem is this. I started with a 10 minute work out (I was really in a bad shape) and I've kept adding things to my routine so that now it's mostly an hour and 15 minutes. I don't really have time for a longer routine most mornings, so now I need to change something if and when I want to add new moves or anything. I don't feel I'm quite ready to go without N&V yet :D I need the familiarity of their workout most, I think. So I think I should split my routine somehow instead of trying to fit all kinds of moves in the same routine. Any suggestions? I'm afraid that my brain will freeze if I try doing different things on different days. I feel like the regularity is the thing that's keeping me going. (I've never been able to exercise every day for two month in a row. So this is a first!) If I change too much, I'll lose my motivation or the routine that keeps me going. So, please help me figure out a way to take the next step without losing my path.

Salome

Administrator
One option is don't change anything yet. If you are still getting something out of the program you are using and it is still motivating you, keep it up. When you start to get bored, don't feel challenged etc. make some changes then. It doesn't mean you need to get more complex. It could mean another basics from a different teacher with different approaches, information, application etc.

teela

Have you looked at some of the WNDY ones? Love potion, luscious and Hard Candy. They come with workouts that are in sections focusing on specific move combinations and have tutorials. Best of all, the price is not bad. You might want to check them out. If you can't do the moves, you can focus on the tutorials.

chirel

Salome, of course you are right :) I'm just the kind to think too much beforehand. I'm not in a horry to change anything, but Id like to make the transition a smooth one, that is, I don't want to change too much at the same time and it's hard to see what I could change.

One thing I just realised is that I could try to find a beginner choreocraphy on Youtube and try to learn that. Do any of you have any ideas for good ones (or ones I should avoid :D )?

Teela, thanks for the tip. I'll check those out, but I don't have much money and with no credit card it's quite a hassle to order anything overseas so for the time being I prefer what I can find on Youtube or in the local library. (And I found a suitable class that will start in two weeks, so I'll have a teacher then too. So no worries.)