Atéa's instructional videos

chirel

I just came home from the library with two videos by Atéa (they really are VHS-tapes :D ) One is Belly dance -Slow Moves and the other one is Fast Moves. Any experiences on these two? Or the third one, I suspect they might have that too.

(And sorry if there already is a topic for these, I tried searching, but my search skills are really bad.)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Wow - blast from the past!!!

Those videos are from the early 80s. So they look a bit dated in terms of costuming. The technique is good, but on one of her videos she goes over "history" which isn't good. Your basic "goddess dance" kind of thing. Just ignore that, the hairstyles and the costumes (unless you like a not-quite-vintage look.)

chirel

Thanks for the hints. I don't know why I didn't think to look at Shira's reviews. Too new to this all I think.

And I don't mind the eighties look. It can be quite entertaning ;) but I just might mind the finnish dubbing though. it's usually hideous :D since we mostly use text translations.

chirel

I watched the Slow Moves the other day. The choreography seems very dull and simple, but I suppose there's pedacogical value in doing dull and simple things first :)

The instruction was a bit confusing, but that might have been because of the Finnish voice-over. The person doing it had a nice reading voice and style, but the translation was very old fashioned using words and frases no-one has used in speech for the past thirty or forty years :D

The dresses vere, how do I say, interesting and entertaining (actually I really liked one of them) and the hair-dos were downright scary. There's at least one performnce wich choreography I'd like to learn.

And the 10+ years old VHS-tape worked fine :)

Outi

The Finnish dubbing is hideous! I don't think that they consulted any Finnish dancer when they came up with the translations.

You can watch them, but I think that there is so many better options for you :)

chirel

Well, the Fast moves one was dead and mostly showed green frame with the soundtrack. Not much use to anyone.

I have a bit of a thechinal problem as my laptop DVD-drive is sometimes dead and my DVD-player almost always shows the picture green (I hate to watch it). Some of the days Youtube freezes complitely...

The VHS is normal color at least, so that's why I liked the idea of these old videos. But at least the other tape is too old.

jenc

Try adjusting the scart lead between the dvd player and TV - sometimes colour change means it's come loose