Definition of shimmy

Outi

Hey, I understand more Finnish than I thought: got Facebookissa right off! It would be cool to speak a language with all those double i's and little dots over the a's. English is so boring when it comes to accent marks.

Actually they are not accent marks, they are letters.
Ä as a in cat.
Ö - you don't have it.
Swedish has them also.
Estonian which is the same family group as Finnish have more things, so that would be even more fun for you :)

chirel

Thanks Outi :) My teacher also mentioned 'sahaus' when I showd her the things I've started to assosiate with the word. Is this also shimmying? Or have I understood something complitely wrong?

Daimona

@Outi: When will your instructional DVD be out? :)
(And why not make a voice-over track for the Finnish market? Meissoun made her DVD on Lebanese style in 7 languages!)

@Chirel: "Sahaus" (sawing in English), could it be the core-driven see-sawing lateral articulations where the hips go up and down she is talking about?
If so, yes, this could be a shimmy as well (see http://bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/11369-how-many-shimmies-there.html-thread for more ways to shimmy).

Last edited:

chirel

Daimona, sounds like the same thing. I know there's a million eays to shimmy - hence this thread :D And I think I've read all existing shimmy-threads. At least I tried :D

Shanazel

Actually they are not accent marks, they are letters.
Ä as a in cat.
Ö - you don't have it.
Swedish has them also.
Estonian which is the same family group as Finnish have more things, so that would be even more fun for you :)

A personal favorite is the Danish letter o with a line through it. My husband says it means "You can't pronounce this letter."

Daimona

A personal favorite is the Danish letter o with a line through it. My husband says it means "You can't pronounce this letter."

This one? ø Ø
(we've got it in Norwegian as well - as well as the letters "æ" and "å")

Ahem, sorry for being way off topic - just to bring us a bit more closer again:
An expression for someone who sees a shimmy for the first time wondering what the dancer is doing to produce the shimmy could be "Øh?!?"
The dancer making it for the first time, but without understanding how he/she does it would say "Æææ!!" and the expression for finally getting it explained would be "Å!"
:D ;)

chirel

Well, I study both finnish and nordic languages (mainly swedish) at the university, so I don't mind a bit of linguistic off-topicness at all. :)

But I do think that the vowel combinaton in "heard" is prety close to ö. But maybe it's just my finnish accent.

Daimona

Well, I study both finnish and nordic languages (mainly swedish) at the university, so I don't mind a bit of linguistic off-topicness at all. :)

But I do think that the vowel combinaton in "heard" is prety close to ö. But maybe it's just my finnish accent.

Agree on "heard" and ö (the Danish/Norwegian ø is a bit sharper and more related to the French "bleu" in my ears, if that makes sense - I'm not a linguist myself). I just created a new thread in the off topic section for those who want to continue the linguistic debate: The language thread - Belly Dance Forums

Shanazel

When I was about seven, my friend Sandy and I used to pretend my grandfather's pickup bed was a stage; we'd stand on the tailgate and sing "Shimmy Like My Sister Kate" at the top of our lungs and jump around till the whole truck rocked.

Oh, good lord, that was fifty years ago, and I'll bet we can still sing the whole song. :lol: