Music recommendations? Variable tempo and a bit of drama

Daimona

Please help me with suggestions for music pieces which are suitable for dancing with isis wings;

Instrumental or with lyrics doesn't matter (as long as I may find a translation of the lyrics if present and the meaning of the lyrics is ok).

I love pieces that are both up-tempo and more calm; music with variable tempo is great.

And I would love the music to have some drama (the wings are huge, at least it feels like they are huge, and I need the music to have enough drama to use big movements).

I don't mind if it is slightly westernised or new age world fusion music. I usually prefer real ME music, but this is going to be for a group choreography and some of the members in my group would like something different than the usual stuff.
Preferably shorter than 5 minutes, but length is no big deal (I'm good at editing tunes if necessary).

I would be grateful for any suggestions you might have. :)

Last edited:

Darshiva

I like to use Zitarossa for a photo shoot, although I would never use it for public performance, because it's big & dramatic with lots of sweeping & swooshing. Makes it easy for me to do the big dramatic movements that make my photographer giddy.

Enta Omri is pretty good for wings too - nice big sound with lots of lilting flutters. Find a version you like and play with it. I've got a pop/club version and a very orchestral classical version I alternate between depending on my mood.

Beats Antique have a few good wingy pieces too.

Jane

Windows in the East by Ron Goodwin and His Orchestra. It sounds like an old "cast of thousands" classic movie- very large and dramatic. Ron Goodwin wrote film soundtracks. Very fun!

Farasha Hanem

I love Salma Ya Salama, not sure who the artist is, but it's available on iTunes. I've seen veil work on YouTube done to it, but I think it would make a great wing piece! :D

Daimona

Thank you very much Darshiva, Teela, Jane and Farasha!
I will check out all of these suggestions. :)

Shanazel

For the life of me, all I can think of is Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsokov, the part where it sounds like a storm is raging on the sea.

Daimona

For the life of me, all I can think of is Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsokov, the part where it sounds like a storm is raging on the sea.

Yeah, that would be the end of the 4th part where the ship is wrecked on the rocks IIRC. Beautiful music, but unfortunately none of the members in my group are strong enough in ballet to make it work well. ;)

Farasha: Several artists have recorded their version of Salma Ya Salama. Dalida's version has been quite popular.

Now on to listen to all of these.. :)

Yshka

Daimona, the is actual a bellydance-sort-of-version on Wash ya Wash 7 on Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade!! :cool: I only remember the intro off the top of my head but it might be nice... ;)

I also agree with the Ron Goodwin suggestion, and I know I've seen very successful wings to Aahat by Wael Kfoury!

Yshka

Yes that's the one!! Another nice one is Wel3et by Hisham el Hajj.

WOWZERS.... those are some wings!!!

teela

I think I heard there is a type of tape that can do the lighting looks instead of having to buy the long strands or tubes of it. If they do make the tape, that could be used to help create the lighted wings.

Farasha Hanem

I'd thought of that afterward; I remember someone posting a link to a site where you can buy the tape. The wings in the video are just...just wow! :D

Sorry, Daimona! :confused: I guess those wings are causing quite a stir... (yes, pun intended).

I also like "Entrance Of The Stars." I think it's by Paul Dilitner (sp?), and he wrote it for the Bellydance Superstars, but no reason why no one else can perform to it. :)