Saalouni el Nas and Baeed Annak

HubicRuzz

New clip from this years Sydney Middle Eastern Dance Festival.

2 songs Saalouni el Nas and Baeed Annak.

Dancer comes out for the second song

indrayu

Thanks for posting this.

Beautiful music! In a slightly emotional mood tonight; this clip of (presumably) immigrants makes me think of homeland and generational changes. My father was a refugee and, for a number of reasons, I don't know a lot of his culture, but his father was a musician. For many others, maintaining culture is so important and immigrants from his homeland have annual cultural festivals etc.

On an admittedly picky note: the dancer obviously appreciates the emotion in the song. I just felt that here is an example of what someone wrote on another thread about hair-tossing. Once per performance is enough. (I'd stretch that to twice) Maybe understanding the words of the song would help me appreciate more what she is saying with her hair.

HubicRuzz

Thanks for posting this.

Beautiful music! In a slightly emotional mood tonight; this clip of (presumably) immigrants makes me think of homeland and generational changes. My father was a refugee and, for a number of reasons, I don't know a lot of his culture, but his father was a musician. For many others, maintaining culture is so important and immigrants from his homeland have annual cultural festivals etc.

Well the female singer and dancer are sisters. Their father is Palestinian. Kanoun player is a refugee from Iraq. The 2 drummers and male singer are Lebanese and the Violin player, Emad Nosir, is Egyptian and has played from Nagwa Fouad and Lucy.

On an admittedly picky note: the dancer obviously appreciates the emotion in the song. I just felt that here is an example of what someone wrote on another thread about hair-tossing. Once per performance is enough. (I'd stretch that to twice) Maybe understanding the words of the song would help me appreciate more what she is saying with her hair.

Not sure about that one. I hadn't noticed the hair tossing. I suppose I notice it more in Turkish style with lots of spinning around.

indrayu

Well the female singer and dancer are sisters. Their father is Palestinian. Kanoun player is a refugee from Iraq. The 2 drummers and male singer are Lebanese and the Violin player, Emad Nosir, is Egyptian and has played from Nagwa Fouad and Lucy.

Ah, no wonder the whole performance has such an authentic feeling! The singer and dancer are very lucky to have the opportunity for cultural continuity.

Do you have any idea how the performers feel about working with others originally from a geographically and culturally wide area? Easy? Enriching? Difficult but necessary? (There's not much live music where I live now, so I can't talk to local musicians about these experiences)

As for the hair, my feeling is that, unless it is a trance dance, it accents the high points in the music. Usually, music doesn't have many points of peak intensity, otherwise it would be exhausting. The dancer would know what she wants to accent, it's just that as a spectator who can only guess at the song's meaning, much of that is lost.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Oh I just love the song and music!! Do they have a cd? How I wish I could get music like that here....even though I have no clue what they are saying.

HubicRuzz

Ah, no wonder the whole performance has such an authentic feeling! The singer and dancer are very lucky to have the opportunity for cultural continuity.

Do you have any idea how the performers feel about working with others originally from a geographically and culturally wide area? Easy? Enriching? Difficult but necessary? (There's not much live music where I live now, so I can't talk to local musicians about these experiences)

Well what I do know is that these musicians have a good working relationship. The doumbek player is my drum teacher and I have played with these people in live music dance classes. Geography doesn't matter that much because they speak Arabic and share a love of Arabic Tarab music.

I would generally say though that from my observations, normally the Muslim and Christian Arab musicians tend to keep to their own groups.

HubicRuzz

Oh I just love the song and music!! Do they have a cd? How I wish I could get music like that here....even though I have no clue what they are saying.

Well supposedly there is an album of tarab music in the works but that was 2 years ago. Not sure if it will ever get completed.