Do you think this song will work for Zar ritual dance?

Lanah

My dear colleagues and stars,

Do you think this song will work for a Zar ritual dance? One of my egyption bellydancer friend mentioned that this song represents a Zar and called "eddoor eddoor", thanks for your opinions in advance. The link in here:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Lanah I've moved your post to music as the Chat About this website forum is more for techie stuff.
~Mosaic

steffib

My expertise is more in Turkish, so I may show ignorance here, but the linked clip does not strike me as a zar at all.

As a general point, though, those who practice trance and ritual dances feel strongly that zar is not to be messed with.

Ibrahim Farrah (who has done a lot of travel and research) has a fantastic DVD of a sensible, educated stage adaptation. Here is an article by Yasmin Henkesh - Yamin tells of the Zar for the Gilded Serpent It has a link to her CD with great booklet. However, I know that out of sincere concern, she refuses to sell the CD to a dancer who is only interested in some music for an oriental dance performance, it is a fantastic educational resource. And, another article by Yasmin: Zar

khanjar

I would have to ask for what purpose other than curiousity, because if it is someone is seeking to monetize a ritual belonging to another culture, one might find one might come up against some opposition, as with many, certain things that exist within the culture of interest are no go zones through the very real fear of offence.

indrayu

I enjoyed the song, but couldn't see from the clip much connection to a ritual. Perhaps the characters were just referring to it?

I have the CD refeerd to. It's excellent. I agree with the others, stay away from other people's significant cultural practices if you are not actually a real participant.

If the hair-tossing aspect is what appeals to you, have you studied some of the Khaliji styles? That can be more accessible, social/performance dance to popular music.

But to many people, hair-tossing is not just a dramatic performance device. In some cultures, not just zar ritual, it is only done as part of a spiritual practice. They might not say anything to you, but some audience members may feel uncomfortable or even offended.

I like a good hair toss myself, but there are considerations worth respecting.

Aniseteph

I enjoyed the song, but couldn't see from the clip much connection to a ritual. Perhaps the characters were just referring to it?

I guess it was referring to the character in white who appeared to be needing help at the start and was then dancing at the back.

I agree - tricky ground. Without knowing what you are doing you at risk of mistaking a lighthearted or funny song about something serious for the real serious thing.

If someone is performing a ritual/trance dance for a theatrical presentation I want to see authentic and educational, or openly made-up and entertaining. Authentic and entertaining is a tricky line to walk. YMMV but I'm not comfortable watching someone getting genuinely tranced out in an entertainment context.

Yame

This music doesn't resemble any zaar music I've heard, so I'd say it's probably not appropriate for a staged zaar ritual.

With that said though, your friend is probably onto something. The clip appears to be portraying a zaar. The woman in white is trancing out until she passes out at the end, while people drum around her (although from my understanding zaar rituals are usually done by mostly--if not only--women). I don't understand Arabic, but if the song is about what is happening in the clip, it could easily be about zaar.

But there is a big difference between a song that is about something and a song that is appropriate for something. For example, there are many American songs about belly dance... rock songs, hip hop songs, etc. Belly dance may be the theme of these songs, but that doesn't make this music "belly dance music," it doesn't make it appropriate for an authentic belly dance performance. Same thing would likely apply here.

So this song may be appropriate for a tableau that is ABOUT zaar. There is a big difference here... in the clip, zaar is being mimicked or parodied, but not being shown in a believable way. A song that holds no similarity to music that would be used in an actual zaar ritual would likely not be appropriate for a staged zaar.

Last edited:

Lanah

Ibrahim Farrah (who has done a lot of travel and research) has a fantastic DVD of a sensible, educated stage adaptation. Here is an article by Yasmin Henkesh - Yamin tells of the Zar for the Gilded Serpent It has a link to her CD with great booklet. However, I know that out of sincere concern, she refuses to sell the CD to a dancer who is only interested in some music for an oriental dance performance, it is a fantastic educational resource. And, another article by Yasmin: Zar[/QUOTE]

Gorgeous , thank you so much for that, very rich resources...Of course i agree with culture and beleives are something not to play with, but I would like to hold a Zaar at my place to my girlfriends and myself and looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represent a traditional Zaar so i can use (even it has no strong drums for the Hadra in it). Thanks for links, love u :*

Lanah

I would have to ask for what purpose other than curiousity, because if it is someone is seeking to monetize a ritual belonging to another culture, one might find one might come up against some opposition, as with many, certain things that exist within the culture of interest are no go zones through the very real fear of offence.

Sweety, the purpose is to hold a Zaar at my place for my girlfriends and myself so we can enjoy our time with something different, deep and to bring ourself the healing of our tiredness. Thus , I'm looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represent a traditional Zaar so i can use (even it has no powqerful drums in it)

Lanah

I have the CD refeerd to. It's excellent. I agree with the others, stay away from other people's significant cultural practices if you are not actually a real participant.

If the hair-tossing aspect is what appeals to you, have you studied some of the Khaliji styles? That can be more accessible, social/performance dance to popular music.

But to many people, hair-tossing is not just a dramatic performance device. In some cultures, not just zar ritual, it is only done as part of a spiritual practice. They might not say anything to you, but some audience members may feel uncomfortable or even offended.

I like a good hair toss myself, but there are considerations worth respecting.

So glad that you liked it gorgeous, and I did too.... In fact, I'm far away from criticising anyone's culture or beleives but I'm only looking to hold a Zaar at my place for my girlfriends and myself so we can enjoy our time with something different, deep and to bring ourself the healing of our tiredness. Thus , I'm looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represents a traditional Zaar so i can use it (even it has no powqerful drums in it). But obviously all of you guys do not see at appropriate for this type of ritual

Lanah

I guess it was referring to the character in white who appeared to be needing help at the start and was then dancing at the back.

I agree - tricky ground. Without knowing what you are doing you at risk of mistaking a lighthearted or funny song about something serious for the real serious thing.

If someone is performing a ritual/trance dance for a theatrical presentation I want to see authentic and educational, or openly made-up and entertaining. Authentic and entertaining is a tricky line to walk. YMMV but I'm not comfortable watching someone getting genuinely tranced out in an entertainment context.

Yes gorgeous, they wqere held a Zaar and beated their drums to the woman in white to dance, but in thier owqn way. In fact, I'm about to hold a Zaar at my place for my girlfriends and myself so we can enjoy our time with something different, deep and to bring ourself the healing of our tiredness. Thus , I'm looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represent a traditional Zaar so i can use (even it has no powqerful drums in it)

Lanah

This music doesn't resemble any zaar music I've heard, so I'd say it's probably not appropriate for a staged zaar ritual.

With that said though, your friend is probably onto something. The clip appears to be portraying a zaar. The woman in white is trancing out until she passes out at the end, while people drum around her (although from my understanding zaar rituals are usually done by mostly--if not only--women). I don't understand Arabic, but if the song is about what is happening in the clip, it could easily be about zaar.

But there is a big difference between a song that is about something and a song that is appropriate for something. For example, there are many American songs about belly dance... rock songs, hip hop songs, etc. Belly dance may be the theme of these songs, but that doesn't make this music "belly dance music," it doesn't make it appropriate for an authentic belly dance performance. Same thing would likely apply here.

So this song may be appropriate for a tableau that is ABOUT zaar. There is a big difference here... in the clip, zaar is being mimicked or parodied, but not being shown in a believable way. A song that holds no similarity to music that would be used in an actual zaar ritual would likely not be appropriate for a staged zaar.

Gorgeos, I gree with you all the way, they were held a Zaar and beated their drums to the woman in white to trance, but in thier owqn way. In fact, you are right "A song that holds no similarity to music that would be used in an actual zaar ritual would likely not be appropriate for a staged zaar" but I'm actually more about to hold a Zaar at my place for my girlfriends and myself so we can enjoy our time with something different, deep and to bring ourself the healing of our tiredness. Thus , I'm looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represent a traditional Zaar so i can use (even it has no powqerful drums in it)

Lanah

My expertise is more in Turkish, so I may show ignorance here, but the linked clip does not strike me as a zar at all.

As a general point, though, those who practice trance and ritual dances feel strongly that zar is not to be messed with.

Ibrahim Farrah (who has done a lot of travel and research) has a fantastic DVD of a sensible, educated stage adaptation. Here is an article by Yasmin Henkesh - Yamin tells of the Zar for the Gilded Serpent It has a link to her CD with great booklet. However, I know that out of sincere concern, she refuses to sell the CD to a dancer who is only interested in some music for an oriental dance performance, it is a fantastic educational resource. And, another article by Yasmin: Zar

Gorgeous , thank you so much for that, very rich resources...Of course i agree with culture and beleives are something not to play with, but I would like to hold a Zaar at my place to my girlfriends and myself and looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represent a traditional Zaar so i can use (even it has no strong drums for the Hadra in it). Thanks for links, love u :*

khanjar

Sweety, the purpose is to hold a Zaar at my place for my girlfriends and myself so we can enjoy our time with something different, deep and to bring ourself the healing of our tiredness. Thus , I'm looking for deep and powerfull drum beats for my ritual so I was wondering if this song represent a traditional Zaar so i can use (even it has no powqerful drums in it)

Well sweety , if you were of the culture that uses this ritual you would know what music to use, but if the purpose of using Zaar is for something different amongst friends and not as a potential money spinner, well, I only hope you know what you are doing, but if it is deep drums you seek, look up on youtube Meran- zaar- en Colette