You know you are a bellydancer when....

miss_shimmy

:) you catch yourself doing chest raises to the rythm of the printer
:) when you buy new clothes,you ask yourself if you could dance in them also..

over to you....

Kiadorin

When you find yourself calculating your expenditures by the price of dance videos (Pay 1/4 of an IAMED to spend 2 hours in the movie theatre on Friday night? Pfffft.).

Last edited:

Shanazel

You know you are a belly dancer when you have more coins on your costumes than most people have in their pockets.

(Of course this may only be true for old-style American cab dancers- so many others have gone for beads!)

You also know you are a belly dancer when you seriously consider taking out a loan to travel cross country to a speical workshop.

Sara

Lmao!

When you sneak out of college to go to dance classes.

And when you stretch and make nice arms movements to finish it off.

Ariella

-When you look through your normal scarf bin to find things that look like they could be turned into hip scarves(I've found some gems this way!)
-When you have a routine that goes with the sound of you brushing your teeth
-When you have more arabic music than anything else, and play it constantly despite rampant complaining from friends and neighbors
-You've been caught shimmying while thinking in the middle of a business presentation

Yshka

Sara said:
When you sneak out of college to go to dance classes.
Ariella said:
-When you look through your normal scarf bin to find things that look like they could be turned into hip scarves(I've found some gems this way!)
-When you have more arabic music than anything else, and play it constantly despite rampant complaining from friends and neighbors
:D me too, me too!

You know you're a bellydancer when....
- after class you hear a song playing somewhere in the background, and immediately perceive it as ME though it's not.
- you don't show up for college and a day later first thing classmates ask is: were you dancing again??
- you find yourself arranging your dance supplies much more neatly than your other stuff.
- you buy any scarf just because "it might also look nice around your hips".
- when someone asks for your favourite song, first thing comes to mind are Arab classics...
- you pick the most ME sounding ringtone you can find for your cellphone.
- first thing you do in a music store is checking the world-music section for any bellydance'able music.
- first thing you do when paycheck comes in is decide how much you'll spend on dance-related things (and go over it when actually spending:D )

belly_dancer

www.montereycountyweekly.com/issues/ Issue.01-04-2007/cover/Article.cover_story_4 -
check out above article.... found in area paper...
right on thread!

Kharmine

...You know more about old Egyptian dance movie stars than you do about Brad and Angelina.

...When you climb stairs you find your hips moving in a figure 8.

...You buy cheesy vintage record albums because you recognize dancers like Morocco, Samia Gamel and Mona Said on the covers.

...You seriously consider placing a tattoo where it will move in a delightful way

Suhad

find yourself doing a 3/4 shimmy as you walk down the road because the hispanic with the BIG stereo has mariachi music with a good beat playing...when you find that you have an audience at the gas station because what started out as MENTAL going over that new drum solo becomes PHYSICAL without you realizing it...when you choose your work shifts based on whether it conflicts with A. dance class or B. workshop dates.

Zurah

You know you may be a wee bit obsessed...

… when a clerk of your favorite music store greets you and informs you there are new things in the World Music section without you even asking.

… when you play regular music, your friends and family ask why aren’t you playing any ‘snake music’ (my father’s term).

… when nobody says anything about the odd hip drop standing at the kitchen counter.

… when you realize you just can’t do the ‘sensible’ civilian look for certain occasions anymore – i.e., when you feel the need to finish off your dress slacks with an ethnicky belt.

Is anyone else guilty of any of these?

Safran

:dance: when you find sequins hidden inside the keyboard of your work computer

:dance: when before all your trips (work or holiday) you fish the internet for workshop options on the spot

:dance: when you keep checking back at orientaldancer.net at least four times during the regular working day :D

Shanazel

If your children look at you in alarm and say, "Don't dance, Mom!" whenever a song with a good beat comes over the grocery store music system- you might be a belly dancer.

If you wear shoulder length sparkly earrings to work and wonder if they might be a bit subtle- you might be a belly dancer.

Sara

I got one...

If you accidentally write about historical debates concerning belly dance in your history essay cause your minds on BD

(Luckily I noticed and deleted it, and the bit about Noel Edmunds too lol)