Is tribaret an established style or something else?

hikari_no_yami

The definitions I've seen vary, but is it a true style, mix of stuff, or just costuming related? How can you tell if a performance is "tribaret"? In case anyone is wondering, I did recently buy a DVD on it.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Did you get Carrie Kohnya's dvd? What did you think of it? I have considered getting it. I think she's a great dancer and I was curious about her perspective on the "tribaret" thing.

For years I think it was mostly a costuming term. Similar to "glitter tribal" or "Glamour tribal." Now I think it is referring to a dance style, but I haven't seen anybody attempt to define (successfully) what "tribaret" is AS A STYLE. Time will tell, I guess.

Yame

As far as I know, "tribaret" is used to describe the style of dancers who have some cabaret influence in their tribal, or some tribal influence in their cabaret, or who freely mix and match and fuse both together. It is also used to describe costuming style that mixes both aesthetics.

So I think it's a general description and not an established style. One person's tribaret might look totally different than the next person's, depending on what kind of tribal they do, or what kind of cabaret, and how they mix them together.

This dance is so varied, not everything can be neatly classified. The best we can do is to just attempt to describe it as best we can.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Anybody up for posting Youtube clips on what they consider "Tribaret" style looks like?

I know Ansuya is often mentioned in "Tribaret" threads, but I don't really see her general style blending the two that much. Sure she uses some Tribal movements and arm stylizations, but her overall look (to me) is uber-cabaret. Her costuming, on the other hand, could arguably be called Tribaret.

ana_bat

I consider Tribaret to be a flexible means of classifying a style of belly dance that might use Tribal as its base (ie in posture, movement, and costume), but is purposefully mindful and expressive of certain Cabaret embellishments, movements, expressions and over all nuances. The same I believe can go for someone who uses Cabaret as their base.

Funny this was brought up as I've been trying to define the term for myself. I think my own developing style is something like tribaret with contemporary fusion influences. Yup! This is a toughie to clearly define. Belly dance is so large and fluid and can mean something different from one person to the next.

Lara

Tribaret reminds me of (note I did not say IS) what we used to just call belly dance around here. We didn't know Turkish from Egyptian from fantasy, or maybe some of us did & just loved putting it all together anyway. We had a fascination with all things "ethnic" while still being bitten by the glitter bug to various degrees. It was reflected in dance as well as costuming, and also in the music available at the time. Melting pot belly dance more than a conscious fusion. I feel like today, tribaret says, yes, we know the distinct styles and can do them if we want to, but we also ENJOY that melting pot excitement and are doing this as a conscious choice. I don't see it as a fusion as much as a dance creole since its not 2 distinct, recognizable forms blended, but a pinch from here and a dash from there, but even so, it is definitely developing its own distinct aesthetic as trends evolve.

hikari_no_yami

Tribaret reminds me of (note I did not say IS) what we used to just call belly dance around here. We didn't know Turkish from Egyptian from fantasy, or maybe some of us did & just loved putting it all together anyway. We had a fascination with all things "ethnic" while still being bitten by the glitter bug to various degrees. It was reflected in dance as well as costuming, and also in the music available at the time. Melting pot belly dance more than a conscious fusion. I feel like today, tribaret says, yes, we know the distinct styles and can do them if we want to, but we also ENJOY that melting pot excitement and are doing this as a conscious choice. I don't see it as a fusion as much as a dance creole since its not 2 distinct, recognizable forms blended, but a pinch from here and a dash from there, but even so, it is definitely developing its own distinct aesthetic as trends evolve.
This is what I like about it, the appearance and its variations. But it seems to delve deeper than just that, which brings on my question. I tend to have a lot of questions though :redface:

chirel

Could you people give some links to videos or pictures. I tried to find some, but I'm still quite confused about what tribaret even looks like.

hikari_no_yami

Did you get Carrie Kohnya's dvd? What did you think of it? I have considered getting it. I think she's a great dancer and I was curious about her perspective on the "tribaret" thing.

For years I think it was mostly a costuming term. Similar to "glitter tribal" or "Glamour tribal." Now I think it is referring to a dance style, but I haven't seen anybody attempt to define (successfully) what "tribaret" is AS A STYLE. Time will tell, I guess.
Yes, I did and I love it. My only complaint is that it goes a bit fast, especially on the intermediate moves, and I'm still a beginner. I could keep up though.

Jane

What's the difference between Tribaret and Tribal Fusion? Take away the costume and they look like the same dance to me :confused:

ana_bat

Well said Ariadne! It would have taken me paragraphs to say what you said. I think you defined it pretty well.

Ariadne

When I first became interested in BD I didn't even know there was more then one style. I dived in and and tried to learn as much as I could. My first resource was Shira's site, thanks Shira. A huge part of my research though was just trying to figure out what all the styles were, how they differed, how they were similar, and just what did and did not inspire me. Considering how much reading and how many video's I've watched to get to where I think I understand now I am never surprised when someone has the exact same questions.

In the case of Tribaret when I first became interested in BD it attracted me because I loved the combination of Tribal attitude and the grace of Oriental. That changed over time but I still enjoy a nice Tribaret performance.

Jane

Tribaret is a fusion of ATS/ITS and Oriental BD styles. Tribal Fusion has infused "world dance", hip-hop, and industrial.

Wait wait wait! I'm still confused! I thought American Oriental was a mix of Turkish and Egyptian belly dance/American Jazz and ATS/ITS was a mix of American Oriental and Flamenco and Northern Indian? So isn't ATS/ITS already world fusion? Is it only Tribal Fusion after you add in the hip-hop and industrial?

My head hurts :confused:

Ariadne

My head hurts :confused:

:lol: Yeah that's understandable.

I thought American Oriental was a mix of Turkish and Egyptian belly dance/American Jazz
Modern American Oriental has an American Jazz influence. The Classic/Vintage American Oriental was a mix of styles depending on the city and makeup of the local immigrant population.

ATS/ITS was a mix of American Oriental and Flamenco and Northern Indian?
With costuming and music also influenced by Northern Africa.

So isn't ATS/ITS already world fusion?

ATS/ITS tends to stick to traditional sounding music. It is also a style that has been clearly labeled and outlined as to what is and is not a part of it.

As I understand it World Fusion is a music/dance classification that usually has to do with merging of both traditional and modern styles from multiple countries. Music labeled World Fusion will often have synthesized instrumentation mixed in even when the styling is traditional.

Like World Fusion, Tribal Fusion is a blending of traditional and modern dance from multiple countries through layering additional styles on top of the ones Tribal (ATS/ITS) has already established.

Is it only Tribal Fusion after you add in the hip-hop and industrial?

It is Tribal Fusion when you take Tribal style dance, turn it into a solo style, and then fuse additional dance/music styling into it. Hip-hop and industrial are just the most obvious additions, fusing Indonesian dance or using Baltic music is also popular right now.

hikari_no_yami

My head hurts too now xD Do you have to take Tribal Fusion classes in order to be a Tribal Fusion dancer? ATS is understandable, but this seems different.