Dance Question

Indigo Shimmer

I'm not sure you could classify this dance as belly dance or even Middle Eastern. I guess its more folkloric. But I found this clip on U-Tube and I love it and want to do it, or something like it -------SOMEDAY! ( When I'm halfway good! )

Russian gypsy practice video - YouTube

Are different dances copyrighted??? Could you get in trouble for copying someone else's dance????

Indigo Shimmer

Darshiva

It's lovely, but it's not bellydance.

Be inspired by someone else's choreo, but don't use it without permission and credit.

Kashmir

I'm not sure you could classify this dance as belly dance or even Middle Eastern. I guess its more folkloric.
Definitely not "belly dance" - or Middle Eastern folkloric. Whether it really is "Russian Gypsy" folkoric I'd leave to those who know the style better. However, I would suspect a heavy dose of ballet character dance rather than actual Rom dance style.
Are different dances copyrighted??? Could you get in trouble for copying someone else's dance????
Yes. I believe, by publishing or performing a choreography you have rights to the copyright. The style is not copyrightable - but unless you study a style from several different sources it is hard to work out what is characteristic of a style and you are likley to stray into copying someone's choreography.

Indigo Shimmer

As I have said in my first posting, I was pretty sure it couldn't be classified as belly dance but I thought I would run it past the pros first!

But one thing I have noticed since I started dancing is that I really, REALLY like dance, ALL dance, any kind of dance. I never knew that about myself. I love the music in this ( even though I have no idea what they're singing about! ) the moves are so graceful and fluid, even the stomping and so THAT'S what you do with one of those big skirts! I can't wait to get mine so I can play around with it! And no, I'm not planning on copying it. I was just curious. Sometimes I play devil's advocate to learn something and this was one of those situations. Now I know!

Indigo S.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Russian "Gypsy" Dance Romani

From Laurel Gray's channel.

Comparing it to this, the originally posted video looks legit, as far as cultural authenticity. Laurel has said before that Russian (and former Soviet) Roma dance looks much different from Turkish Roma, which is what we usually think of when we think "Rom Dance." The dancer in the original video is Russian, and seems to have a good pedigree as far as training. I like the style :)

Indigo -- look up "skirt dancing" on Youtube. You'll get tons of ideas! And the shawl is usually called a manton in Flamenco, so if you search for flamenco manton dance you'll get more ideas for manipulating it :)