Eyes closed?

khanjar

No, I thought better of it, as I was under the influence at the time, but now a bit more awake, I can try again ;

I noticed something regards this dancing I struggle so with, it feels better with the eyes closed and I understand this could be because like an ostrich if I can't see others watching I am more comfortable with myself and by being comfortable, I can do it with ease and yes, actually feel the music.

Oddly also my spatial awareness is better when I can't see my surroundings and I can't see myself putting limbs in the wrong places at the wrong times.

But I know I have a load of self confidence issues which really do not help with me learning this dance, or anything really where I might be in the spotlight so to speak, for it is my history that I have always preferred to exist in the back ground away from the attention of others and reject praise when it is given, but that is about denying oneself any chance of success, so part of the reason I do this dancing, is to improve my self confidence and awareness.

And this always springs to mind when I wander down familiar paths ;

Our Greatest Fear by Marianne Williamson

But anyone tried it, eyes closed and find what they do actually flows ?

Last edited:

BigJim

This post takes me back a couple of years. We were in Minnieapolis and I was able to catch an intensive class with Cassandra..Her studio was on the 3rd floor of an older building on Hennepin Ave. The dance floor is slightly narrow but long with mirrors on one side and windows overlooking the street on the other. No Air conditioning and it was warm. After warmup she started drilling us by leading to the other end... the rest of us following in pairs. Down and back.. down and back... the combinations getting progressively harder and harder....

I was all in to keep up and eventually took a break so got to watch a down and back....here came Cassandra, effortlessly gliding across the floor and that's when I realized she was dancing with her eyes closed...

A humbling moment in the presence of greatness...

P.S. No, I can't dance with my eyes closed... I would fall down... Jim

BigJim

This post takes me back a couple of years. We were in Minnieapolis and I was able to catch an intensive class with Cassandra..Her studio was on the 3rd floor of an older building on Hennepin Ave. The dance floor is slightly narrow but long with mirrors on one side and windows overlooking the street on the other. No Air conditioning and it was warm. After warmup she started drilling us by leading to the other end... the rest of us following in pairs. Down and back.. down and back... the combinations getting progressively harder and harder....

I was all in to keep up and eventually took a break so got to watch a down and back....here came Cassandra, effortlessly gliding across the floor and that's when I realized she was dancing with her eyes closed...

A humbling moment in the presence of greatness...

P.S. No, I can't dance with my eyes closed... I would fall down... Jim

Duvet

Thanks for reposting your thoughts, Khanjar.

Yes, I often find it more comfortable to dance with my eyes shut. I used to do it a lot when I started out. I find I connect to my body and the music better as I shut out the outside world and can concentrate on my inner feelings and connections. And I also can't be distracted by what others are doing, or possibly looking in my direction. I feel more myself, more enrapt, and less embarressed, even when on my own.

However, seeing this done by others can make me feel I’m intruding on their own private communing, and IMO can look self-indulgent and pretencious in a performance, although conversely, when done right, it can help the audience connect in the moment when they see how intense the dancer is responding to the music.

For that reason I've tried to train myself out of it. Hiding is not something you can do in this dance, so hiding with your eyes shut doesn't get you very far. I find I want to share what I'm doing, and connect with others while I'm connecting with myself. Shutting my eyes stops that interaction.

It is also not very convenient for dance classes as spatial awareness is often lacking in other students, and whilst I can be aware that someone is dancing near to me, others might not, and with my eyes shut I cannot be aware when they are being unaware of me.

But dancing in private, on my own - yes, I still do sometimes shut my eyes and relax into the dance.