Hearing Criticism

Duvet

Do you feel the bellydance community should be more open about its real feelings about a dancer's ability? Are we just too eager to say 'you were brilliant' in the hope that they'll say the same about us. Is there a level of fear or shame about saying, 'actually, you weren't that good, but well done for trying.'?

Do your teachers give constructive feedback, or do they just give encouraging platitudes to make sure you keep paying next term? Is this just giving people the wrong messages about the level of skill required to dance (let alone to bellydance)? If you teach, how do you give feedback? Do you give any? As a student/performer, do you like to hear the negative comments just as much as the positive?

Jane

Do you feel the bellydance community should be more open about its real feelings about a dancer's ability?

It depends. Overall, I think the technical bar is higher than it used to be. Other skills have fallen by the wayside though. Should we give unsolicited feedback to any dancer we see? No. Can we discuss public performers with each other? Yes, we should. Should critics critique honestly? Yes, it's their job. Should teachers correct? Yes, it's their job too.

Are we just too eager to say 'you were brilliant' in the hope that they'll say the same about us. Is there a level of fear or shame about saying, 'actually, you weren't that good, but well done for trying.'?

There is a lot of ego stroking in the student and hobbyist communities. I think that's fine. Not much of that in professional venues and I think that's fine too.

Do your teachers give constructive feedback, or do they just give encouraging platitudes to make sure you keep paying next term?

My first teacher never gave us much feedback at all. It was follow the bouncing butt while she danced and students figure it out as they go. I asked once how I was doing and she told me, "Well you aren't very polished." When asked for specifics I could work on she said she didn't know. Not helpful. I don't think she cared if her students stunk or not. She wanted to run through the routines she learned at workshops for exercise and have her students pay for the studio rent. And yeah she told me that point blank, and yes she's still teaching. So much baggage from this teacher :(

Is this just giving people the wrong messages about the level of skill required to dance (let alone to bellydance)? If you teach, how do you give feedback? Do you give any?

I give individual feedback and also group feedback when everyone is doing the same thing. I go around and stop at each individual person and check them and give them their corrections. I also tell them what they are doing right so they can keep doing it. I don't believe in blasting people with negativity and neither do I believe in false compliments. Being a mean teacher does not make you a better teacher. My students know that there are spring and winter student recitals in appropriate venues. I also tell them that dancing in public for money is a privilege, not an automatic promotion, and that if they are interested they can come talk to me and I will help them get started. I usually mention it's an average of three years of belly dance.

As a student/performer, do you like to hear the negative comments just as much as the positive?

I get them from time and there are times I deserve negative comments. My dancing is not fantastic one hundred percent of the time. Sometimes I'm just not in the zone or tired and people who have seen me at my best know when I'm not dancing up to my ability. When I have a new teacher critique me, sometimes I find bad habits have crept into my dancing because I'm teacher-less. I listen to what they say, and when they are right, I try to fix it. It's times like that when I have to put on my big girl panties and deal with ups and downs. I don't like the negative comments, but truth helps as long as it's meant to help and not hurt.

I have gotten some pretty stupid and intentionally hurtful comments too. I ignore those.

Shanazel

She wanted to run through the routines she learned at workshops for exercise and have her students pay for the studio rent. And yeah she told me that point blank, and yes she's still teaching.

:shok::shok::shok:

Well, at least she is honest about what she is doing and why. :rolleyes: I wouldn't call her a teacher, though. Frankly I hope there is a special place in the hereafter for mean teachers right next to dog kickers and child abusers.

If I am blown away by a dancer's brilliant performance, I tell her/him. If the performance was considerably less than stellar I politely keep my mouth shut unless specifically asked for feedback at which point I either sandwich a criticism between a couple of compliments or demur from answering all together, claiming lack of expertise in whatever particular style the dancer performs.

My students pay me to teach them to dance but there is no reason on God's green earth I can't teach them without stripping the skin from their nerves every time they need to make a change. All it takes is one compliment ("You almost had it that time, Maggie May! Good for you!"); one criticism ("The reason you aren't getting it is because you consistently lock your knees."); one encouragement ("Keep at it, kiddo, because I know you've got it in you.").

Darshiva

In the classroom I usually find that it's not so much that they're doing the move wrong, but that they're doing the wrong move. So I compliment them (sincerely) on getting the move down so well without my help and then walk them through the move we are doing.

Pleasant dancer

:

If I am blown away by a dancer's brilliant performance, I tell her/him. If the performance was considerably less than stellar I politely keep my mouth shut unless specifically asked for feedback at which point I either sandwich a criticism between a couple of compliments or demur from answering all together, claiming lack of expertise in whatever particular style the dancer performs.

Absolutely agree. And if you do really like something, or someone has improved greatly, do tell them, and say what you liked and why. Positive comments are wonderful, as long as you mean them.

Sophia Maria

I've taken classes from 3 teachers over the past 3 years--I've had one consistent one the whole, and the two other teachers on and off. One of the latter two teachers was my short dabbling in tribal fusion. The dabbling itself was very interesting for me, but I was very disappointed with the teacher, and primarily because she treated me like I was amazing. I'm not :lol: I showed her the piece I was working on for my teacher back home and when the music stopped she was just gushing with compliments...It was disappointing because I want to grow. I want to learn. I know I'm not nearly at the level I want to be at yet, and even when I reach that point, I will always consider myself in training.

So when I got home to my regular teacher and showed her the piece, I was very happy to hear a list of criticisms after the music ended. She's an extremely positive person, but at the same time, when she sees potential she wants it to grow, and she doesn't try to butter you up.

Coming back to your original question, yes, I like to see high standards in dancers/teachers. I feel like it might be pointless to try to actually regulate...and honestly it may come down to passing your own judgment on your teacher. Fortunately, because of the internet, there are a lot more resources now for one to find a lot of info, bd videos, and opinions from other dancers. I don't really feel like my answer is helpful, but I'm not sure if I have a logical solution to this kind of problem...