Myra Krien's Anatomy of a Hip Circle

Yame

Great review. You made this DVD seem interesting... otherwise I never would have been interested in a DVD that appears to be only on hip circles.

I am not familiar with this dancer. Is she Egyptian style? Would you say her movements have that ooey-gooey, internal, Egyptian quality to them? Would you say this DVD helps you achieve that quality? If so, I may consider getting it.

atisheh

Great review. You made this DVD seem interesting... otherwise I never would have been interested in a DVD that appears to be only on hip circles.

I am not familiar with this dancer. Is she Egyptian style? Would you say her movements have that ooey-gooey, internal, Egyptian quality to them? Would you say this DVD helps you achieve that quality? If so, I may consider getting it.

Yeah, the title is really a misnomer, though there are a lot of hip circles. Krien also does tribal, but I would say that the way she performs the movements on this video are closer to Egyptian than to anything else. The whole video is about using obliques, psoas, and glutes to drive the movements, and she'll have you shift your focus to different muscles during the same move (say, a maya) to make you aware of them. I think it would be very good training for Egyptian. And since Egyptian just excites me more than any other form of bd, both to watch and to try and work towards, I was very happy to find this vid.

That said, it's worth noting that the other two vids repeat about half of the material. They're about an hour long each, so each has about half an hour of unique material. Unless you're swimming in money, I would find the video that best fits your interest/level and just get that one. I haven't yet watched the new sections of the others, but when I do I'll try to give a detailed description on my blog, as there's not much out there on them.

teela

Although it appears that certain materials are repeated on each DVD, this set seems to build on the previous DVD. Anatomy works on being the foundation, the traveling hips builds on the foundation with inside out circles, amis and then the actual traveling hips. The sexy hips volume takes time to discuss what things to look for such as where does the circle start, does it got from left to right, right to left, etc and has 11 hip circles most of which I have never seen. I admit, I like her use of a live drummer in it.

atisheh

Although it appears that certain materials are repeated on each DVD, this set seems to build on the previous DVD. Anatomy works on being the foundation, the traveling hips builds on the foundation with inside out circles, amis and then the actual traveling hips. The sexy hips volume takes time to discuss what things to look for such as where does the circle start, does it got from left to right, right to left, etc and has 11 hip circles most of which I have never seen. I admit, I like her use of a live drummer in it.

Thanks for this comment. I haven't yet worked with or watched through #2 and #3. I did think #1 was very dense with material, drills, etc. But the videos are confusingly advertised -- another reason I'm glad to have worked with them.

teela

Up to now I watched it but today I did the technique section of the Anatomy DVD and it is a great drilling DVD. I loved it that I got a couple things out of it that will help me do my hip circles a bit better and I learned a couple new variations so that is terrific. These three DVD's will take me a long time to work through.

atisheh

Up to now I watched it but today I did the technique section of the Anatomy DVD and it is a great drilling DVD. I loved it that I got a couple things out of it that will help me do my hip circles a bit better and I learned a couple new variations so that is terrific. These three DVD's will take me a long time to work through.

I think that's exactly right. Right now I don't even feel the urge to move on from Anatomy, but rather to do Anatomy quite a bit, and often. I love that it's a compact practice -- that I can do it in an hour, or even in two half-hour sessions. And I think to really pick up what she's teaching will take some dedicated practice.