Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aziza of Cairo - my current obsession

Love, love, love this dancer. She one of my favorites of today's dancers in Egypt. Clean, heavy hips; juicy, effortless moves.

Aziza of Cairo - Mejance - april 2012 - YouTube

Last edited by Mosaic; 06-20-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Embed video

Post Thanks / Like

I like her as well. She controls her energy really well, there is total intention and energy into every movement. Really refreshing.

Post Thanks / Like

She's great, I hadn't seen that video, thoroughly enjoyed it!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me why some dancers choose the same stage name of other dancers;i.e this Aziza, Aziza the American bellydancer and Aziza mor saidi from Brazil, there is even an American dancer called Shakira.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlieL View Post
    Can someone tell me why some dancers choose the same stage name of other dancers;i.e this Aziza, Aziza the American bellydancer and Aziza mor saidi from Brazil, there is even an American dancer called Shakira.
    I'll try. These names have been in existence for a long time, and there are a lot more dancers than names available. If each name were used only once it would result in increasingly outlandish made-up names.

From a thread on Tribe a year or two ago I gathered that it is bad etiquette to deliberately copy the stage name of a established dancer performing in the same area, but otherwise it's okay.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be sort of like asking why parents would name their kids a name that already exists. Why name your child John, when there are so many other Johns out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    That would be sort of like asking why parents would name their kids a name that already exists. Why name your child John, when there are so many other Johns out there?
    I,ve been specific, i meant STAGE NAME, OR ARTISTIC NAME not given names, take this for example, Saida is the stage of the famous Argentinian dancer, but her real name, that is HER GIVEN NAME is Veronica Helou but there is a dancer who know that Saida exists but decides to use Saida as the dancer name, you got me now?

Post Thanks / Like

I,ve been specific, i meant STAGE NAME, OR ARTISTIC NAME not given names, take this for example, Saida is the stage of the famous Argentinian dancer, but her real name, that is HER GIVEN NAME is Veronica Helou but there is a dancer who know that Saida exists but decides to use Saida as the dancer name, you got me now?
    I got you the first time. I was making a comparison. Ask yourself why people name their children names that already exist. It's the same answer to a slightly different question. But since you can't figure it out, let me answer for you:

1. People use names they like. Sometimes, these names are common, sometimes they are not.

2. You can't make up a new name for every person that is born, or even for every performer that is out there. Hence, repeat names are bound to exist.

Why would you name your kid John? Or Charlie? Because you like the name. Because you like the history or meaning behind the name. Likewise, why would a dancer name herself Aziza? Because she likes the name, or the meaning of the name. Why does it matter that there are other Azizas out there? Most names (real names OR stage names) are already "taken" anyway.

BTW the American belly dancer named Shakira was already out performing professionally under that stage name long before Shakira the singer became famous in the US. You are making a wrongful assumption that every dancer who has a name that is the same as someone more famous than they purposely "copied" the name. A dancer can't possibly know every single name that is out there. Even if you try to be original, there is a chance someone out there already has that name, and there is a chance that other person could become famous.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few Salomes' out there, maybe not as many as Azizas' but still I can answer from my experience... Salome is my grandmothers given name and when I was a baby dancer my mom decided on that name for me as my dance name. I love the name, I love that it is part of my grandmother and that my mother chose it for me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    There are a few Salomes' out there, maybe not as many as Azizas' but still I can answer from my experience... Salome is my grandmothers given name and when I was a baby dancer my mom decided on that name for me as my dance name. I love the name, I love that it is part of my grandmother and that my mother chose it for me...
    Another example; why a new pop singer would choose Madonna or Lady Gaga as her artistic name? In my country a musician chose Chayanne as his artistic name and the Puerto Rican singer sued him because he chose his stage name knowing him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast