Talk me out of this.

hikari_no_yami

I have a tendency to run away with things at full speed. So naturally, when I get an idea, I've got to go with it. This, however, must not happen. Somehow I got it into my little head that I'm going to ask about joining one of the student troupes. My teacher just so happens to be the co-director of our cabaret student troupe. Even if I were to audition and join, I wouldn't be performing with them for a while. A while as in several months. I've only been taking lessons for about 4 months. So, I ask this as a favor, can someone slap me really quickly before I go ask my teacher like an idiot tonight? :pray:

Daimona

I have no idea what your idea is about, but if you want to be a part of it and know you aren't ready yet, write it down and present if for your teacher when you are ready to participate in it yourself. :)

ETA: By waiting a bit, you can also evolve and refine the idea, as you practice and become better yourself..

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Is it that you are going to ask to audition but aren't sure if it's too early and you will make a fool of yourself?

If so - easily solved - why not just ask your teacher how long it tends to take people to be at a good enough level for the student troupe? There's no harm in asking.

That way you show her that you are interested, and leave it open for her to say "great, why not audition for us?" if she thinks you are ready, or "typically x-months or so, maybe you'd like to think about trying out in a couple of months time" if you need to slow down a little!

hikari_no_yami

Is it that you are going to ask to audition but aren't sure if it's too early and you will make a fool of yourself?

If so - easily solved - why not just ask your teacher how long it tends to take people to be at a good enough level for the student troupe? There's no harm in asking.

That way you show her that you are interested, and leave it open for her to say "great, why not audition for us?" if she thinks you are ready, or "typically x-months or so, maybe you'd like to think about trying out in a couple of months time" if you need to slow down a little!
This is exactly it. I get overconfident and this would probably the result. Thanks a lot, I think I'll do that. That way, my question is worded more closely to what I really wanted to ask. :)

Aniseteph

You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out.

A little bit of overconfidence is no bad thing IMO, as long as you realise that you might need to tone it down at times. And I think we all go through phases of getting a bit ahead of ourselves and thinking "oh yeah, got this sorted now" then getting that reality check :shok: when we see some video or go to a challenging workshop. It's perfectly normal.

hikari_no_yami

My teacher told me that auditions would be next year, which doesn't really do me any good because by then my focus will be on graduation. The current student troupes are at an intermediate/advanced level, but they're planning on forming beginner/intermediate troupes fairly soon. As for performance opportunities, she mentioned this website that lists the different events and haflas going on around the state. My best bet is to perform in different student haflas (if they'll allow students who are not taking lessons at their studio) nearby as well as our own. So no troupes for now, I'm not quite ready yet anyway. Unless I formed my own...... ;) Probably not though.

PracticalDancer

So, you want to be in "a" troupe, not necessarily "that" troupe?

And, you have a lot of things going on in your life that may need to be prioritized against dance?

And, you have one, main teacher?

I would ask this question, "As my teacher and coach, what would you recommend I focus on if my goal is to join a troupe by [state a date here]?"

This way, the teacher a) knows your goals, b) isn't distracted by whether it is her troupe or another troupe, and most importantly c) can give you solid feedback and a development plan to improve your dancing.

Mind you, this will be a test of your teacher as well, for if he/she cannot clearly articulate what you need to improve your dance, then he/she will never really help you reach the next level.

And, it will be a test for you: for, if you cannot embrace this plan and continue to grow through it, then dance will be just something for fun and enjoyment vs. an art that you try to improve in. This is a very important thing to learn about yourself, because you will find that you need to invest very differently if your goal is the latter, and can get away with far less investment if it is the former.

Best wishes for you on your journey,

Anala