Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

For the OP alot of great ideas have already been posted and I have used some of those myself.

I used a different method recently. I knew the dance in chunks but for the life of me I kept mixing up the chunks. The dance was to my favourite song El Hantour so I knew the music backwards for some reason this was not helping me get the chunks in the right order.

So I got some large sheets of paper and in note form (decipherable only by me I'm sure) I wrote the dance in large writing and stuck it to the wall. Then I identified the patterns or shapes in the choreo e.g. If the chunk of the dance formed a T shape or I shape on the floor I drew that too.

Then I got different coloured highlighters and highlighted all of the repeated bits, or very similar bits in a matching colour.

While dancing I could look at my wall and see the blocks of colour and the shape and it was enough to jog my memory without breaking the flow.
    It worked! Once I had it I then focussed on the most troublesome chunks and only practiced the transitions between these bits.
    I had four choreos to perform that week and I think my brain needed all the help I could give it.

ETA: I forgot to mention I think you are already doing this with drawing patterns, but try adding colour. As a school teacher we were told to use colour to help our students as the brain likes/pays attention to colour.
    Last edited by Bast; 06-30-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Useful stuff thanks Shira, but I keep forgetting most of what I seek is to be found on your website. Am thinking next lesson am taking my old DV camcorder and record the entire piece and there break it down into my patterns.
    Khanjar, I have a terrible problem with short term memory, and this is exactly what I do. If your teacher doesn't mind, record your classes, that has been a tremendous help for me. That way, I can use the video at home to help remember the moves, and if I'm in the video frame, I can also see what problems I may be having, and what I need to improve on.

Aziyade's suggestions are also important. You need to know your music inside and out. Eat it, sleep it, live it, breathe it. I have 3 mp3 players and a smart phone, and guess what kind of music they're all full of? xD I take my music wherever I go, and listen to it every chance I get, even in my sleep. This habit payed off immensely in my class this past week. Our teacher usually does a "freestyle dancearound" at the end of the class right before the cooldown. Usually it's Shakira or Christina howeveryouspellhername, and that always makes me unhappy. -_- But last class, she played Hakim's "El Wala Wala," and I nearly leaped for joy! I know all the musical phrases, and if I knew Arabic, I could practically sing it! I danced in time to the phrases, and my teacher noticed, and said, "VERY goooooood!"

Play the music in your car, on your work breaks, whenever you take a walk, EVERY MOMENT YOU GET THE CHANCE! You'll be amazed how the music gets into your brain and body!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    There are a couple of articles on my web site with advice on how to remember choreography.

Here's one I wrote: How to Learn Choreography

Here's one Arabella wrote: Hints for Remembering Choreography
    Arabella has some VERY good advice in here! I have found, personally, that hearing the music over and over again and thinking through what to do helped immensely with choreo; and, it is even MORE helpful when planning an improvised performance. (No, that is *not* an oxymoron.)

And, the singing of steps does wonders. There is a marvelous dancer named Miraj, now based in Florida, who teaches this way. I still remember her steps, and even about 1/4 of a choreo she taught ~5 yrs ago, because she sang it the whole way through as she taught it. In fact, she stated that she used patterns / combos of movement over and over with her troupe, calling them (and calling them out) the whole time they danced together, so that the troupe could learn a new choreo VERY quickly because there were established patterns with standard names that could be "plugged" in to music to create fabulous numbers.

Sigh, Miraj, if you are out there, come back to Virginia -- I miss you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has already posted great ideas - you will just have to figure out what will suit best for your learning style. For me, it helps a lot if I break down the music into chunks. I could know the music inside out, but sometimes when learning a new choreograpy I map the music out. This way the sequence that already exists in my unconcious part of brain will make more sense to me, and it is easier to "attach" choreography to it.

Post Thanks / Like

inspiration,focus,dedication,repetition

repetition is the mother of skill

do the work!!!but make it into play

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12