Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What would your dream belly dance event be?

    Hey all, this is my first post in the forum. Don't worry though, I've been visiting it for years for advice

    I started a belly dance student organization at my university in Milwaukee, WI. Every semester we are given grant money for events, and it can be quite alot if we do it right.

    So, pretending as if the sky is the limit, what would be the 'ultimate' event you would like to attend? And by 'event' I mean a weekend-long experience of workshops and shows.

    Our student organization is ATS/Tribal but personally I would like to see some diversity regarding the talent we bring in. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Jess; 06-25-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Trying not to look like I'm promoting my event...I'm just looking for ideas

  2. #2
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    So, pretending as if the sky is the limit, what would be the 'ultimate' event you would like to attend? And by 'event' I mean a weekend-long experience of workshops and shows.
    Evening shows that people have to audition to be in that feature professional dancers. Okay for these to feature a variety of dance styles.

    Two tracks of workshops, opposite each other - one for newer dancers, one for more experienced dancers.

    A "festival stage" which any event participant or troupe can sign up to dance on.

    A "lecture room" featuring lectures by leading dance researchers. If you do it right, the same person could do a lecture at one point in the weekend, and do a dance-oriented workshop at another time during the weekend. That way, you can save on travel expenses.

    Some sort of "social time" such as a cocktail party when participants can gather to socialize with each other, or maybe an after-party following the evening shows.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow, Shira, I am a little starstruck....I go to your website all the time! Now, back to business

    I really like the idea of a cocktail party and lecture room, I haven't thought of that.

    Evening Show Questions:
    For the professional shows, should we have one or two?
    Is there anyone you can think of in particular that you really enjoy watching?

    Workshop Questions:
    When you say 'workshops opposite each other' does that mean that they should be simultaneously occurring, or staggered?
    Are there any workshops you recommend for belly dancers?

    Lecture Room Questions:
    I have never been to a 'lecture only' workshop, are there any good ones out there?

    Oh, and feel free to recommend yourself Thanks for all the help over the years.

  4. #4
    Moderator Darshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kyabram, Vic
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A lot of instructors do lectures - Shira and Morocco are two US examples. I believe a lot of Egyptians do lectures as well, the one I can think of off the top of my head is Dr Mo.

    As for pie in the sky festival wants I like Shira's suggestions a lot, so to them I'll add:

    Workshops on specialised areas of dance such as stagecraft, choreo-writing skills, specific folkloric genres, costume design & alteration, etc. A lot of the time it's prop of the week, prop of the week, guest teacher, prop of the week. Unfortunately my ideals are rather pie in the sky because what actually sells at festivals is the latter.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I get excited about opportunities to study with instructors from the cultures. Karim Nagy is brilliant and can also do lectures. Amel Tafsout is another who also does lectures. Leila Haddad is also wonderful.

    A show with live music would be fabulous.

  6. #6
    Administrator Salome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pac NW, USA
    Posts
    3,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To Echo/expand Dunyah... More feature on music! We need much more of this in our events. Live music for performance. Also, some workshop topics teaching dancers how to hear, relate, understand music...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Samira_dncr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Baby!!!
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Evening shows that people have to audition to be in that feature professional dancers. Okay for these to feature a variety of dance styles.

    Two tracks of workshops, opposite each other - one for newer dancers, one for more experienced dancers.

    A "festival stage" which any event participant or troupe can sign up to dance on.

    A "lecture room" featuring lectures by leading dance researchers. If you do it right, the same person could do a lecture at one point in the weekend, and do a dance-oriented workshop at another time during the weekend. That way, you can save on travel expenses.

    Some sort of "social time" such as a cocktail party when participants can gather to socialize with each other, or maybe an after-party following the evening shows.
    Dang, Shira. I'm so excited because I've nearly met your requirements for your ideal event.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Samira_dncr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Baby!!!
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Workshop Questions:
    When you say 'workshops opposite each other' does that mean that they should be simultaneously occurring, or staggered?
    I think that she's suggesting that they run concurrently. This gives the newbies something to do and allows the experienced dancers to delve deeper into their coursework.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Lecture Room Questions:
    I have never been to a 'lecture only' workshop, are there any good ones out there?
    I know there are many fabulous lectures out there; however, I've found that they don't "sell" very well. As long as you are using grant money...go for it. But if you need to find another way to meet your expenses, lectures tend to be small. If you can find a small lecture hall with minimal expense, you might be in good shape.

  9. #9
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Wow, Shira, I am a little starstruck....I go to your website all the time!
    Nice to "meet" you here on OD! Glad you like my site!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Evening Show Questions:
    For the professional shows, should we have one or two?
    It depends on whether you think your event will be attended by enough professional-quality dancers to fill two shows. Also, on whether you think you can recruit enough volunteers to help with all the logistical stuff (managing the sound, the lighting, stage management, etc.) for more than one night.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Is there anyone you can think of in particular that you really enjoy watching?
    If you have workshop instructors, they would be logical performers to include in your evening show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Workshop Questions:
    When you say 'workshops opposite each other' does that mean that they should be simultaneously occurring, or staggered?
    Are there any workshops you recommend for belly dancers?
    I was thinking simultaneously occurring. Something "easier" for newer dancers opposite something more challenging for more experienced dancers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Lecture Room Questions:
    I have never been to a 'lecture only' workshop, are there any good ones out there?
    Um, me! I have several to choose from:



    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Oh, and feel free to recommend yourself Thanks for all the help over the years.
    Thanks for putting up with me little promo!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would like to learn as much as I can. Since I'm new and don't know anything, just about any workshop/event would be helpful to me. I just hope it's local (Northern California) so I don't have to travel too much, spend hundreds of dollars on airfare, etc. Although I'll travel if the reason is good enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •