songs for shimmy drilling

Darshiva

Honestly, if your music collection doesn't contain something suitable for drilling the shimmies, I'd be surprised. The only stipulation you're going to have a hard time with is length, because faster-paced songs are usually shorter. Perhaps 2-3 songs up to 10 mins total would be more appropriate?

To get a good, rounded shimmy drill you want something with a varied rhythm so you can practice fast, moderate & slow shimmies (the latter being the hardest to achieve and frankly the foundation of great shimmies). If you're at a level where you are comfortable with layering, that makes the music choice easier because you want something with a variable melodic line with a nicely-textured rhythm to play with layered shimmies. There's a lot to play with so pretty much any song with a pronounced rhythm will do at that level.

Finally, 10 minutes is a long time to be drilling the same move, so perhaps breaking it up into songs will allow your mind to rest for a few moments and take in what you've been drilling into your body. Muscle memory requires the brain - that's where the memory part comes in. Your muscles don't remember but your brain goes 'hey, I know what we do here, AUTOPILOT!' and that's what we call muscle memory. So give your brain a chance to catch on & you'll find your drilling much more effective. :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
One we use in class a lot & I use for practice is "Rhythm" 7:32 Mins - from the album, Reference in Bellydance: Traditional Arab Dances, Nadia Gamal 2004. It has slower, medium and faster rhythms. You know you've shimmied yourself into a jelly after that one:lol:

Another option is to find 3 or 4 different drum solos, and either burn to a CD or run on your computer from a playlist, mix the tempos up as well.
~Mosaic

Ahava_Melantha

i have a VERY short list of music, mostly from youtube. honestly library of bd dvds is much longer than music, so no I don't.

Darshiva

In class I often use Accordian Rhythm (from Bellydancing on the Beach) for rhythmic drills & footwork sessions. It's 5 mins long. That said, any egyptian pop will work really well for drilling shimmies due to the strong bassline.

Safran

I don't have any long tracks to suggest, but my favourite song for practicing shimmies in class is Tamra Henna from Wash Ya Wash 2 - it is relatively fast-paced and has several changes in the tempo.

Farasha Hanem

I have one more suggestion: "Drums of Lebanon" (can't remember who puts it out). You'll learn several Arabic rhythms while getting a good shimmy drill. The tracks are a bit long, plus, they start off slow, then get faster.

EDIT: "Drums Of Lebanon" is by Nourhan Sharif. I couldn't remember, so I looked it up on my iPhone playlist. >.>;;;

Last edited:

Ahava_Melantha

Hassan ya kholy el genena

can't find the lyrics translation ANYWHERE. in my link from daily quickies it says its made Mahmoud al sherif.

help would be much appreciated.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
can't find the lyrics translation ANYWHERE. in my link from daily quickies it says its made Mahmoud al sherif.

help would be much appreciated.
I have moved your post from the "sticky" thread on where to find lyrics as the thread is where you can post links on where to find lyrics. Maybe join the all the lyrics forum & ask there if anyone knows the lyrics.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Contact Mahin or George Sawa on Facebook - I notice that Mahin has given the basic story of the song, in her 'quickies" email. That gives a very good idea what the song is about.
~Mosaic
[FONT=&quot]"Hassan El Kholy El Genena[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]"Hassan the Gardner"[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]This Egyptian folk song is such an important piece of music that it is referenced in almost every improvisational beladi in the men's (Tet) style. [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]This song was originally written and composed by Mahmoud el Sherif who was a musician at Badia Masabni's famed Egyptian cabaret that was cradle to the stars. The song became famous after it was included in the 1951 film "Leilet al Hena".[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The lyrics ,sung by the female lead, Shadia,are about the garden caretaker she is in love with. [/FONT]