Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Musicality instructional videos

Musicality specific instructional videos are popping up everywhere. I have Ranya Renee's Taqasim DVD and love it!

So, which ones are authentic ethnic musicality and which ones aren't?
    Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

I do rather like Andalee's Musicality Matters, it's great from an American Oriental perspective and as a good introduction to musicality in general (especially for beginners)

I've found that a lot of the time musicality is covered by improv dvds (not that there are a lot of those either!) rather than as its own separate topic as Ranya Renee & Andalee have done.

To be honest, despite the ever expanding girth of my dvd collection, the above are the entirety of my musicality-covering dvds. I don't think there ARE that many. Nadira Jamal's Improv toolkit covers it as one of the 'tools', and Bahaia's Combin-ography covers it briefly too.

Honestly, I like the George Sawa cd & book set (Egyptian Music Appreciation & Practice for Bellydancers) in terms of coverage although I feel that it would be marvellous if he could follow it up with a dvd with him explaining & playing the music & having different dancers demonstrating what he's talking about. I learned an awful lot from the cd & book set.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got Nadira Jamal, Bahaia, and the George Sawa set. I've got tons of resources specifically about the music's structure and culture. I am looking for more DVDs like Ranya's or Outi of Cairo's "Egyptianize Your Dance", that show and explain how an ethnic dancer hears the music and how/why they would choose to interpret it physically.

Karim Nagi has a musicality DVD out and so does Alimah, but I don't know what's on them yet.

Shoot- if the Andalee DVD is American Oriental, it's not what I'm looking for. I started with that style, did it for eight years and am very comfortable with that interpretation already

Post Thanks / Like

It's worth getting anyway because it's bundled with the reality show (and that alone makes it awesome).
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear good things about Mohammed Shahin's dvds.

Don't forget books too -- Scott Marcus's book "Music in Egypt" is excellent, and comes with a companion CD. Also, ANY workshop with Karim Nagi is worth it. And especially don't forget Ranya's Balady dvd.

Post Thanks / Like

Saida's DVD goes over different rhythms (explained by a musician) and then she shows different combinations that can be done to each rhythm.
    However, it is in Spanish so if you don't understand Spanish that's out of the question...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    I hear good things about Mohammed Shahin's dvds.

Don't forget books too -- Scott Marcus's book "Music in Egypt" is excellent, and comes with a companion CD. Also, ANY workshop with Karim Nagi is worth it. And especially don't forget Ranya's Balady dvd.
    Can you tell me more about Mohammed Shahin's videos Aziyade?

Yup, I've got the Scott Marcus and all of Ranya's videos- her stuff is wonderful! I absolutely second those recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Saida's DVD goes over different rhythms (explained by a musician) and then she shows different combinations that can be done to each rhythm.
    However, it is in Spanish so if you don't understand Spanish that's out of the question...
    That sounds like it would be interesting. Eek! I haven't taken Spanish since high school. I'd be totally out of my depth. No subtitles? <hopeful voice>

Post Thanks / Like

i have both their DVDs and they do have English subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any of Mohammed Shahin's dvds, so I can't comment, but I have been TOLD that they are good instruction and although they cover choreography, they also cover musicality and WHY he choreographs the way he does, but beyond that I can't comment.

Keti Sharif also talks about the "what movements to do with what instrument" kind of thing on her 5-part series, but I don't know that it's any more detailed than what we've discussed here. You might check old threads because we've talked about this before at least once that I can remember, and people had some good suggestions for musicality itself (not DVDs, but just ideas.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast