Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Turns and balance

I have always had trouble with turns - I feel ungrounded,lose my balance and often feel dizzy. Even the simplest of turns hold me back. I have been working hard at activating and controlling the movement with the core, but don't seem to be getting anywhere. While everything else in my dance is progressing, this continues to hold me back. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Do you spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had a medical checkup lately, with a good look into your ears?

I've known people who had ear infections or some other chronic ailment that they weren't even aware of, except they had some balance problems that usually showed when they got up suddenly, did a spin, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

we work on techniques for spinning in just about every single one of my classes. I'm a real stickler about my students developing good spinning skills and doing it in time to the music.

One thing I've noticed is that people have a tendancy to kind of use momentum from their torso to 'wing' themselves around while not paying attention to their foot work. And that'll give a person all kinds of woe.

My suggestion is to start with the foot work. Pivot in a circle, face front and initiate a turn to the left (or right). Turn in a complete circle and do it with 4 steps at precise points - in front, to the side, to the back, to the side and repeat. What's very important is to keep the foot work of the working leg under your shoulder. Don't take big steps outside your body, this is one thing that will unbalance you and make you start traveling around the stage.

The other thing about your foot work is you need to be purposeful about where you are pointing your foot. Because that is going to dictate how much you are going to turn. When I am spinning (and using two steps to complete a turn) I turn my foot crisply to the left (at 9 o'clock) if I'm spinning left or to the right (at 3 o'clock) if I'm spinning right.

Also the more contact your foot has with the floor the more friction there is and the harder it is to turn. Keep the heel of your working leg off the floor. Also as you make your turn, lift the heel of your supporting leg then allow it to make contact with the floor while the working leg is in the process of taking the next step.

I'd put on a slow tempo piece of music and try that foot work out, stepping 4 times on the beat until it feels right.

Then instead of pivoting transition into a "paddle" spin (where one leg supports and the other leg propels you) by cutting the foot work down to 2 steps to complete one spin, stepping in front and behind. This is also where I would highly recommend spotting. And like before I'd start out with music that is nice and slow. Just getting into the habit of taking 2 clean steps, under the body, to the beat while spotting. As you become stronger the spinning can become faster.
    Last edited by Salome; 01-25-2007 at 04:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Salome, That was the best advice I've ever read(heard) about turns and spins.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks Yasmine! I came to a point where I really wanted to improve my own spinning and it forced me to take a close look at how I could set myself up for success.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Salome for your detailed suggestions. I'll try since I've the same problem as Lakshmi Bhabi. Anyway, I've been thinking to do what Kharmine suggested. I've under the impresion that I do have some balance problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Salome's advice is the best I've heard for controlling spin -- and if that doesn't work I'd say for sure get a checkup.

I had a friend in college who had to take a Dramamine every time she wanted to try a carnival ride. She majored in biology and told me that some people have an inner ear structure that makes them more liable to get car sick, have trouble with altitude sickness, don't scuba dive well, etc. They can be otherwise perfectly healthy and even athletic. There will just be some things they learn to deal with differently.
    Last edited by Kharmine; 01-26-2007 at 03:29 AM.

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

I had problems with spinning too and was considered spotting. however I realised that the more I focused on spotting, the more I got dizzy...and it was perhaps I did the wrong technique of spotting or haven't been really explained how to do it...so I consentrated on my foot work and left the spotting thing and it came somehow naturally...I guess I spot best when not thinking about it too hard! but I still would like to know the description of spotting in theory coz like I said, I guess the one I got didn't help me much.

thank you!

and btw: salome that was a great post, very detailed, perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Salome, for the very informative post and detailed advice. I will put your points to practice immediately and see what happens. And for good measure, I'll speak to my doctor and get some dramamine for good measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast