Post Thanks / Like

Default Teen Bellydancer

I'm a teen dancer that has been dancing for a little over a year. I have yet to find any other teen dancers! Are there any of you out there???

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum - I am sure there are one or 2 teens here, or younger dancers. Good for you starting young. Enjoy your journey!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

I think teen girl less interested in bellydance, the are more in modern dance,
    the passion to bellydance comes around 20 years old, in some cases much much latter,

any way I am sure there are few other teen bellydancers like you...

good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Yes teen dancers exist! I am 19 now, I started bellydancing when I was just 15. Wow, it seems like forever ago ( and then I remember that some of the moderators and members here have been dancing for decades ) It's a great time to start, I never regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the issue might be parents not wanting their kids to do belly dancing because of all the stereotypes that belly dancing = stripping (not true, but sadly it's there). So some people might start at 18/19 or in their 20s. I know a couple weekends ago my sister's friend (14, almost 15) and my sister (15) said something about wanting to try belly dancing (just to try it) and my mom gave them a funny look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I think the issue might be parents not wanting their kids to do belly dancing because of all the stereotypes that belly dancing = stripping (not true, but sadly it's there). So some people might start at 18/19 or in their 20s. I know a couple weekends ago my sister's friend (14, almost 15) and my sister (15) said something about wanting to try belly dancing (just to try it) and my mom gave them a funny look.
    This is a point that came up in my class, we had a couple of kids want to do BD, but their parents said "no" and then enrolled them in a hip hop class or a ball room dancing class which teaches the tango.

My thought of course is, "have you even watched any of these dances before?"

*sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe I agree! It's so funny how these dances that involve very sexual moves are much more accepted than belly dance! Oh well! Welcome to the forum! I'm 19, but soon to be 20!

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome! I WISH I had started when I was a teenager but I didn't have the discipline back then.