Does anyone use fans?

TribalPixie

Not the veil ones or the feather ones, but the normal fans that fold up and such. Has anyone used these while dancing?

Duvet

Yes, people have and do use them. But as has been said, they are not 'traditional'. I think they appear more in the flamenco fusion styles, or in Tribal Fusion. I've not been tempted to use them (yet).

Mosaic

Super Moderator
The fusion style I've seen on youtube tends to be a burlesque (sort of bellydance) fusion using fans. There is no name/style attached to BD fusion fan dances, it is just another prop.

Fans are traditionally Asian and there are lots of Chinese fan dances on you tube. But I found this "tribal fusion BD" one

~Mosaic

Erik

The American Burlesque performer Sally Rand was notorious for using these fans. No disrespect or judgment intended to Sally or Burlesque, but I personally don't enjoy anything Burlesque-related in association with bellydance, like pasties or bare legs. Just my uptight conservative striaght-laced Christian opinion, for whatever it's worth. [Probably not much.]

Duvet

I must be real naive. I had to Google pasties, because coming from the SouthWest of England, I couldn't understand why a Christian would object to these;

I now understand.

Erik

I must be real naive. I had to Google pasties, because coming from the SouthWest of England, I couldn't understand why a Christian would object to these;

I now understand.

No problem, Duvet. When I joined the forum Starmouth was equally confused after I mentioned pasties, and she posted a similar photo. These pasties look good! Must sample them someday. Americans and British are a common people divided only by language. ;)

Farasha Hanem

I do have some fans that I've bought at an anime convention, and at an arts festival. But the only thing I use them for are those balmy Oklahoma evenings. ;)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have seen fans used in a BD context - but as others have said, they're not authentic to the form.

As an aside, I agree with Erik - most Belly Dancers do NOT like to see Burlesque mixed with Belly Dance. Now, I like me some good Burley - but *please* not at a BD show...

Erik

TribalPixie, I missed the word 'feather' in your original post and watched only the first video which Mosaic posted. I came back later to watch the second video. Fans may not be a authentic prop, but there is a very big difference in the two videos. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Farasha Hanem

I think TribalPixie did say not veil fans or feather fans, just the normal ones that fold up. I admit, when I get good enough, and if I can start taking flamenco lessons, I have toyed with the idea of doing a fusion using Spanish-type fans. I'm of Hispanic heritage, so I would love to learn Spanish fusion. But that's a long way off. This year has been the first year that I actually had the nerve to do some 30 second improv solos at the Ren Faire. I still haven't performed a Bona fide solo. :confused:

Oops, I used boldface on the word "or" instead of italics. My apologies. :confused:

Last edited:

khanjar

My old class did, that and veil and wings, I was more interested in the movement not the props, as I feel props can detract from the movement.

kaza26

fans

personally I use fans many times, I am not sure about the traditional roots of the fans, but bellydance is evolving....prop