Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't dare buy anything like that over the internet- the skirts are invariably four inches too short.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Mine ended up being a bit too long, so my teacher suggested that I raise each side up about an inch or two and tack it there. She told me that not only would it solve the length problem without doing major surgery to remove the beads and coins to rehem it, it would give me cute draping.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others saying you can start practice your dancing and cane work separately already if you like it, but please don't hid bad dancing and technique behind fancy cane work.

To do good cane work, you need to build up strength, flexibility and control.
    Remember to warm up your hands and arms before you start practicing with the cane. I usually includes rolling my fists in all directions in my warm up routine.

Practice holding the cane straight up, over the head and out with strong arms. Make simple but controlled circles on the side, etc, and stop the cane firmly between each circle to gain control and making the cane be an elogated part of your arms and hands.
    Be sure you don't move your elbows too much.

As for the size of the cane, please be kind to your arms and hands and build strength and technique with lighter canes if you aren't strong enough already. You don't want to hurt yourself because of a cane that is too heavy (straining your hands and lower arms) or too long (upper arms and shoulders).

My preferred length of the cane is app. one fist width above the navel to the floor (some may prefer it just up to the navel).

Farasha: I'm pretty sure you can find something that could work as a lighter cane in your favourite everyday shop such as plastic rods or tubes.

Just a few cents from me..
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    As for the size of the cane, please be kind to your arms and hands and build strength and technique with lighter canes if you aren't strong enough already. You don't want to hurt yourself because of a cane that is too heavy (straining your hands and lower arms) or too long (upper arms and shoulders).
    Too late...but it's not my hands and lower arms I hurt, it's my legs and head! @_____@;;; Yeah, I'm that bad. >.>;;; I have the bruises to prove just how bad I really am.

Great news, though, I bought a second-hand bellydance cane from a friend of mine! I've been working on my technique with it since last night, but I still have a long way to go. At least now, I have a lighter cane. Oh, and just about all canes I've tried come almost up to my boobs... >.>;;;

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Too late...but it's not my hands and lower arms I hurt, it's my legs and head! @_____@;;; Yeah, I'm that bad. >.>;;; I have the bruises to prove just how bad I really am.
    Its all part of the learning process! You'll do fine.
    Great news, though, I bought a second-hand bellydance cane from a friend of mine! I've been working on my technique with it since last night, but I still have a long way to go. At least now, I have a lighter cane. Oh, and just about all canes I've tried come almost up to my boobs... >.>;;;
    That's what hacksaws are made for! Cut it down to navel height or shorter.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it fray the gold ribbon that's wrapped around it? It came that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Its all part of the learning process! You'll do fine.
    Thank you for that, Zorba. I needed it!

Post Thanks / Like

Too late...but it's not my hands and lower arms I hurt, it's my legs and head!
    If you hit yourself unintentionally with the cane, you need to work more on controlling it.

1. It is harder to control a cane that is too long.

Use a saw and simply cut it. If you are afraid of golden ribbons fraying, tape it tightly (uncolored tape that should stay on) before you saw (this is also a good idea with bamboo canes, btw). If you don't know how much to cut off, take only a little bit at a time and try it in between to find your preferred length. If you want to hit the ground with it intentionally you don't want it to be too short either..

2. You need to have enough flexibility in your wrist to control the cane properly.

Stand in front of the mirror and hold the cane straight and firmly at the lower end in front of you, but to the side of the body. Loosen the grip (probably the way your teacher have taught you) and let it fall down forwards and guide it back up until straight position. If you need work your elbow or upper arm while doing it, you need to work on the flexibility as well (IIRC).

3. Work on controlling it.

The exercise above is also great to use when working on controlling the cane. Grip it firmly to stop the movement at the top between every time you swing it down and up in a simple circle (also practice it backwards). Check the mirror that the path of the cane is relatively straight and not wobbling. Repeat.

Remember to warm up before and to stretch your hands and arms and hands after drilling. If your underarm hurts after sessions of cane drilling, lower the intensity and simply rest.
    If you work with a medium to heavy cane for a long time, you may experience blisters in the hand when drilling. I usually tape my hand if it happens (particularly if I haven't done it in a while) and take it a bit easier.
    Last edited by Daimona; 07-12-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice, Daimona! I'll practice in front of the mirror at the studio in between classes. At home, I have to practice outside, because our apartment is waaaaay too small. Meanwhile, I need to find out where Hubby's saw is.

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile, I need to find out where Hubby's saw is.
    Use a fine tooth hacksaw blade, it will cut far cleaner. As Daimona says, tape it at the cut line.

Flying canes, whacked body parts, sore muscles - all part of learning!

The number one beginner's problem: holding onto the cane with a death grip. The harder you hold on, the more it slips away... When you get the hang of it, you'll feel like you're barely touching it.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you go hacking your good cane up, try out different lengths with an inexpensive dowel rod from the hardware store. I prefer my cane to be hip height, which is much shorter than the other posters. If you cut your cane down only to find that you actually preferred it a few inches longer you're in trouble! Once you've experimented and found the height you like you can transfer it to your cane.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast