Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my lunch right now in the Fabrics and Crafts department, experimenting as you suggested. Well, I WAS. I got a wooden dowel that's just a bit above my belly button, and I was doing a few of the moves from our cane routine, when three customers caught me. -_-;;: One of them was my best friend from class, how coincidental is THAT?

I kind of hate to whack on my new cane, but I think I'll buy that dowel tonight, and continue experimenting with it and with my new cane, just to make sure. My cane has a tiny tip on the end that I won't be able to put back on once it's whacked off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    At home, I have to practice outside, because our apartment is waaaaay too small.
    There are ways to practice in tiny rooms (like mine) without smashing the furniture. I dance with a bicycle pump when I need to practice cane dance at home. When I was new to the cane, I combined the bicycle pump dance at home with cane drills in the park, until I got the hang of it. So I used to walk around in the park doing cane tricks. Got some curious stares, but nobody asked me what I was doing. They probably figured out that it was my personal style of stick walking.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it fray the gold ribbon that's wrapped around it? It came that way.
    The %$*&!$ gold ribbon is part of the problem. Take it all off. Be easier to manipulate and it won't look silly.

Post Thanks / Like

Cane is my favorite dance. I have 4 canes, and three of them are straight. I like straight stick, because I do double cane, and for me straight cane is much easy to handle and manipulate.

I use double cane dance for bamboo stick, and use taping tape to taping around the cane. So, this way, when I do some trick, canes not slippery and easy to handle. If you ever seen Tito's cane, mine is like that. He taped his cane the same reason. Actually he told me to taping my canes. So, my canes are very heavy. Even though I'm very small and tiny, I have some strength for my arm, and I like my cane is heavy. So, when I balance cane on my head, I can feel it.

I have very light cane that I used for group cane dance number. We bough wood stick from Home Depot, and cut for each member's size. Then painted gold, and taped by black tape like spiral. For me this cane is too light and I don't use other than this group number.

Farasha, I know you are small like me, and I know you already got cane, but just for practice, just get wood stick from Home Depot. I think we bought stick for $5 or something like that. Then you can paint them, or tape them to decorate.

tolennaki: I think not many teacher teach cane dance in their regular class, because of size of room/studio and number of students.If room is small and many students, then very difficult to move canes in any directions.

Learning cane dance, I strongly recommend to take class or WS before just watch DVD to learn movements. Not only cane, but DVD or video is only one way, and they don't give you correction or advice if you did wrong. And maybe you develop bad habit before master correct movement, and it'll be very difficult to fix/ correct your movement later.

I learned all all techniques from WS and private lessons. The funny thing is I never learn cane dance from female teacher, but all my cane dance teachers were Egyptian or Egyptian style dancers. One day, I wanna be like Tito to use 4 canes! (keep dreaming... )

Post Thanks / Like

Our teacher teaches cane, and it sometimes gets a bit dangerous in class! @____@

Post Thanks / Like

I adore cane dance! I too have a heavier cane and during one workshop it was pulling me down too so I made sure to buy a lighter one until I know it really well.

I would love to get the video by Nourhan Sharif but unfortunately it is unavailable. Virginia does have a good one and it's easy to follow if you are a beginner (which would be me). But try finding a room to twirl a cane in an old house - those rooms are small!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my lunch right now in the Fabrics and Crafts department, experimenting as you suggested. Well, I WAS. I got a wooden dowel that's just a bit above my belly button, and I was doing a few of the moves from our cane routine, when three customers caught me. -_-;;:
    Busted! At least one was a classmate who won't think you've totally lost it.

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own assaya rather than cut my teacher's prop.

I bought a 48" dowel (7/16) from the hardware store. I cut it to my preferred length (hip height) and wrapped it in black electrical tape. Then I spray painted it with gold metallic paint.

Looks great, and it's just my size!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leilah View Post
    I made my own assaya rather than cut my teacher's prop.

I bought a 48" dowel (7/16) from the hardware store. I cut it to my preferred length (hip height) and wrapped it in black electrical tape. Then I spray painted it with gold metallic paint.

Looks great, and it's just my size!
    The cane isn't my teacher's, it's mine; in fact, I own two of them now. Cutting and shortening things are a way of life to me---it's what you have to do when you're not much bigger than a Hobbit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123