Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahava_Melantha View Post
    but of course most of my shimmies are either feet driven (choo choos) or knee driven shimmies. so what exactly is an ab driven shimmy?
    Ab driven shimmies normally use the obliques to lift and release the pelvis. But I think there is another layer here using pelvic floor (if Kashmir is referring to the teacher I think she is - Auckland late 1990s?)

Post Thanks / Like

Now getting back to the original post, about wide-legged shimmies... There's absolutely nothing remotely slutty about the dancer, but yes, her stance seemed very "solid', almost "blokey" at some points. Her feet were only very slightly wider than hip width at those points, so it's a very subtle thing. As she's such a good dancer, maybe it's one of those things that separates the very good dancers from the goddesses of dance: the goddesses don't have normal human body mechanics. They can look earthy, on flat feet, but be light and graceful at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I realised after reading this thread that my shimmy is often quite wide legged. Usually my weight is to one side when doing it, but sometimes not.

Post Thanks / Like

Gisela, maybe you're one of the goddesses who still looks feminine and graceful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indrayu View Post
    Gisela, maybe you're one of the goddesses who still looks feminine and graceful
    I sure hope so, can't be certain though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    It's partly a joke but not entirely. Holding the legs together while shimmying produces a -- ahh -- internal excitory effect. Personally I prefer not to mastabate in front of an audience. And no, it's not just me. A well known teacher once taught the "welcome home shimmy" in a workshop. The idea was that the subtext would be subconciously picked up by the audience - ie they would know there was something about the dancer but not be quite sure what was going on.
    I wonder if anyone went home and secretly tried this

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that some women have a similar reaction lifting weights while keeping the pelvic floor engaged, so it doesn't surprise me that it's possible.

Aren't bodies great?

Post Thanks / Like

none of these affected my internal excitory organs AT ALL. personally speaking.

and maybe its cuz I have thunder thighs so I cant do really closed leg shimmy anyways lol

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's possible to do a shimmy with the legs closed, maybe side by side but how do you get a shimmy going like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    I don't think it's possible to do a shimmy with the legs closed, maybe side by side but how do you get a shimmy going like that?
    I assure you I can press my legs tightly together (tops of thighs touching, knees tight together, calves toughing, ankes and feet touching) and shimmy - no problem. However, I have quite small thighs and narrow hips. And I don't use my knees to generate the shimmy - I use my obliques and quadratus lumborum. And I've just tried crossing one leg in front of the other (touching most of the way down) - and shimmied. Small I admit - I might be able to make it large with practice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast