Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Well here's where it gets weird, and it all goes back to Jamila.

The "goosh" as described in her manual, and according to Aida al Adawi, is different than what she teaches now. The old Goosh was sort of what we have called "Cairo 8" on here. It was a figure 8 movement in BOTH planes: horizontal and vertical. It was a horizontal figure 8, starting in the back and arcing around to the front, but then the slide through went down, so that the arc around had an "up" feeling to it. Sort it sort of went "in around and DOWN/through." Now she teaches it as a straight horizontal 8 back to front.
    Isn't *THAT* special. By the time the move made it to me, it was a "reverse maia" or down-to-up VERTICAL figure 8 - and called Gooshy or Gooshie, not just plain "Goosh".

Fascinating, captain. Fascinating.

Oh, and for what its worth, I heard that Maya/Maia means "illusion"...

Sigh!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah so that is what that is then, the goosh is a cairo 8, so how is a cairo 8 or a goosh performed, as I have seen it used but wonder how to do it. It reminds me of the action of a certain mechanical part in a motor driven pressure washer, a sort of cyclic wobble.

Post Thanks / Like

Similar to what the "Cairo 8" sounds like to me - is a movement we call "the snail" - like half the "Cairo 8", done on one hip. "Big Shell, Little Head" is the mantra...

Post Thanks / Like

Cairo 8 is a figure eight shape on both the vertical and horizontal planes. If I can, I'll film something and put it up tomorrow. But again, names vary especially according to region.

I've never heard of a Sureya, but there is a "Samia" that is part of Jamila's vocabulary.

If you are really curious about the "names" of the steps, I suggest Jamila's Archive series DVD. It's pretty much recognized that Jamila gave the "dancer" names to the steps that we use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, in Montana we still use a lot of the older Jamila terminology. "Maya" after Maya Medwar, "gush" and "Samia's" etc. The first dancers to come to Montana in the early 70s were Jamila students (Barb Stewart and Lorna Mills) and that tradition remains in the American Oriental scene here.

Maya Medwar was a famous dancer at a club in North Beach San Francisco, CA
    Last edited by Jane; 07-23-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This move was always referred to as a Maya in class, but I pictured tracing the infinity symbol when I was learning it. *waves to fellow math nerds*

Post Thanks / Like

My torso is short, so I always do Mayas on relevee.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm short, too, but my teacher still makes me do it flat-footed. Very hard because I'm also short-waisted.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also long-legged/short-waisted but I have no problems with executing upward & downward 8s with good range. I do find that I have to dial it back a lot when I'm teaching so that the students don't try any heroics on their first go.

It is harder (initially) to do them on the flat, but it is seriously worth the effort, particularly for the short of waist, because it develops your range so much. It will take months or years of practice to get a lot of range out of them, but keep at it. It's definitely possible.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    It is harder (initially) to do them on the flat, but it is seriously worth the effort, particularly for the short of waist, because it develops your range so much. It will take months or years of practice to get a lot of range out of them, but keep at it. It's definitely possible.
    This. Times 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00000000001!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast