Is there such thing as Arabic sheet music...

Farasha Hanem

... and where can I buy it? My troupe is discussing the possibility of getting a drum group started; quite a few have expressed an interest in having a group do live music for us. I'm getting a riqq and a small doumbek and joining, too, but I also play violin. I sent an email to my teacher letting her know I would love to play every now and then if they want me to, but I'd like to get some sheet music of some classics, just to get the feel of playing Middle Eastern music. I've never heard anyone say if Arabic people use sheet music, so I don't know if it exists, or if it does, if it's different from reading Western sheet music. :confused: Does sheet music exist? :think:

Last edited:

Daimona

... and where can I buy it? My troupe is discussing the possibility of getting a drum group started; quite a few have expressed an interest in having a group do live music for us. I'm getting a riqq and a small doumbek and joining, too, but I also play violin. I sent an email to my teacher letting her know I would love to play every now and then if they want me to, but I'd like to get some sheet music of some classics, just to get the feel of playing Middle Eastern music. I've never heard anyone say if Arabic people use sheet music, so I don't know if it exists, or if it does, if it's different from reading Western sheet music. :confused: Does sheet music exist? :think:

Some sheet music exists, but there is nothing much available. See an older thread about same topic:
http://bellydanceforums.net/music/15113-arabic-sheet-music.html

If you want to start playing arabic music on a violin, why not start with practicing the various maqams/scales? They are available written online and you'd get to practice quartertones as well.

The rhythms are also written out and are available online in musical notation.

Farasha Hanem

Thank you, Daimona, I'll look into it! :D I can't wait to start playing. Learning how to make the music is bound to enhance my Arabic music education. I think I'll love it even more if that's possible!

Alexandrian

About 4,100 or so songs written by the great nine are readily available at Egyptian music institutes and conservatories. A good half of those have been uploaded to the internet. Of the remaining output of lesser mortals, there're roughly another 1,500 that can be located, with a bit of effort, on the internet.

You may want to start with sama3y.net whose million or so subscribers include a couple of thousand musicians who have uploaded about a thousand or so song. If the song is particularly influential, you'll find several sheet music offerings including alternate arrangements as well as variable orchestral versions.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Thank you very much, Shira and Alexandrian! :D I'm eager to learn how to read and play Middle Eastern music. Now, if only the New York sorting facility would quit stalling and send me my doumbek I bought from eBay... :confused:

shiradotnet

About 4,100 or so songs written by the great nine are readily available at Egyptian music institutes and conservatories. A good half of those have been uploaded to the internet. Of the remaining output of lesser mortals, there're roughly another 1,500 that can be located, with a bit of effort, on the internet.

You may want to start with sama3y.net whose million or so subscribers include a couple of thousand musicians who have uploaded about a thousand or so song. If the song is particularly influential, you'll find several sheet music offerings including alternate arrangements as well as variable orchestral versions.

Thanks for these suggestions! I've been wanting to learn to play some of my favorite Middle Eastern classics on my new electronic keyboard that I can tune to keys with quarter tones, and I've wanted something more fully orchestrated than the melody-line-only music that I already have.