NPR "Discovering Songs" covers "Misirlou"

Mahin

Hi Dancers,

NPR's "Discovering Songs" series did an article on the origins of the classic "Misirlou". They traced the roots with a music ethnologist and then did an interview with Dick Dale who did the famous "surf music" version. The story of how he came to cover that song was something I'd never heard before. I really enjoyed it - hope you will too!

NPR Media Player

Mahin

Gloria

Dick Dale is a big BS'r, too. He likes people to think he invented it all. I worked with a producer of a documentary about cars breaking land speed records in the 60's and thought Dick Dale surf music would work well with it. I told the producer that I didn't think Dick Dale invented the genre, that I thought he was influenced by a middle-eastern musician by the name of Omar Khorshid and that Dick Dale took his methods and claimed that he created them. The time frame works.

I wrote to Dick Dale and asked if this wasn't the case. He responded by saying that he was of Lebanese heritage and listened to the music growing up and referred me to an article that Saudi Aramco world wrote about him, but specifically did not mention Omar Khorshid, which I thought was rather graceless. Most musicians are more generous in acknowledging those who made contributions to their art and career, and show some respect for their innovations. I was a bit disappointed by Mr. Dale's response.

Mahin

Well, that's not nice. If it is true, he could at least credit his influences. I'm sure karma caught up with him eventually.

Mahin

mahsati_janan

There is also a great academic article on this that traces the song back to a probable first record date of 1919 by Sayyed Darwish as Bint Misr: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie. The title is "Layers of Identity in the 1960s Rock Icon Misirlou" and it discusses the rise and incorporation of the song into surf rock as well as going into it's origins. It is very well-researched and lines up with what I have found as well. I haven't been able to listen to the NPR one yet, so I am not sure if it already includes this information.

Mahin

That sounds like a good read - thanks for the link! I'm bookmarking it to check out later tonight :)

Mahin

Mahin

I did a little poking around to get more familiar with Omar Korshid and Dick Dale. So, it looks like Omar Korshid was one of the first (or THE first) to use western guitar in Arabic music. He played Arabic music in an Arabic setting, playing for Oum Kalthoum and in Abdel Wahab's orchestra.

I do hear similarity in their playing style and clearly, he must have been an influence. However, Dick Dale took this into a different style of music. He was playing American early rock/surf music and added Middle Eastern scales and melodies. He worked on the American scene and gained his fame here. It sounds like a case of musical "fusion" rather than than blatant copy-catting and taking credit.

I do agree that it would be respectful and gracious to acknowledge Korshid - who we can guess was surely an influence. I don't think it is as much a crime as ripping off Korshid's style in a wholesale way and doing the exact same thing he did. And who knows, he may have mentioned him in the interview and it was edited out. Or maybe he didn't... we'll never know

Art isn't born out of a vaccum. We all have influences that shape us and give us inspiration. We take it and add ourselves to the mix and something new and different comes out of it. We don't have to look any further than the explosion of "fusion bellydance" to see that happening in our own circles.

So, as a purely philosophical question.... at what point are we obliged to credit our influences?

Mahin

PracticalDancer

Dick Dale is a big BS'r, too. He likes people to think he invented it all.

But, neither he nor the article on NPR claim he wrote or invented the song. At 4:12, the broadcaster states, "Dick Dale's grandparents were born in Lebanon. As a child, he remembers his relatives play Misirlou, which means 'the Egyptian,' on the Middle Eastern lute called the 'oud.'"

Then he recounts how he would hear them play the melody while he drummed. The article (if you listen to it) goes on to recount how and why he turned it into a surf version. That part may be BS, but, he makes no claims to writing the number.

To Mahin's question, I think he *did* cite his influences.

I am curious to read the article (An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie) and will probably shuck out the $36USD for it. I have been collecting versions of Miserlou, as it is one of my favorite songs. I now have around 35 +/- versions (at last check, there were 200+ on iTunes), ranging from surf rock to Balkan to orchestrated to folk. It is interesting how the song can be rearranged to blend to a variety of genres, giving credence to the ideas put forth by the musicologist in the NPR article.

Interestingly enough, I asked a local band to record a version of it. When they did the research on the musical rights to it, they found that it is actually owned by the Greek Orthodox church (or, so they said. It may be another religious institution based on what NPR says.) Regardless, the price was prohibitive, so I have to live without hearing Julie's lovely voice on a CD, belting out my favorite tune. (Although, there is that one Youtube version that is out there . . . ;))

Last edited:

Mahin

I now have around 35 +/- versions (at last check, there were 200+ on iTunes), ranging from surf rock to Balkan to orchestrated to folk.

35 versions - wow! I can imagine what the rest of your music library is like - that's amazing!

I know a musician that would be tickled to hear that the rights to "Miserlou" are owned by the Greek Orthodox Church. <g> I'd love t hear your opinions on the full article if you purchase and read it.

Mahin

mahsati_janan

35 versions - wow! I can imagine what the rest of your music library is like - that's amazing!

I know a musician that would be tickled to hear that the rights to "Miserlou" are owned by the Greek Orthodox Church. <g> I'd love t hear your opinions on the full article if you purchase and read it.

Mahin

It really is a good article. I wish I could share it here, but they don't seem to have a free version available. It traces the different recorded versions of the song and discusses questions or origin and maqam used.

Mahin

More to read!! When I get back from this workshop trip I will have plenty of reading material lined up. I'm travelling laptop-less for a change. I just may go through withdrawl :-(

Mahin

PracticalDancer

One More for the collection! Thank you! I just checked, and it is 44 total, which seems like overkill, until you look at the variety of interpretations:

"Classical" Middle Easter versions by Ozel, (George Adbo and the) Flames of Araby, Eddie "The Sheik" Kochak
Greek by Accordéon Mélancolique or Yacoubian & Company
Armenian by Hachig Kazarian Ensemble
Spanish guitar by Peter Wiltschinsky or Almaplana
techno by Johnnyangel
Bossa nova by Laurindo Almeida
Orchestrated by Quatuor Ébène
Big Band Balkan by La Zikabilo
Balkan fusion jazz by BandOrkestra.55
Saxaphone (!) Jazz by The Tri-Saxual Soul Champs
Classical Jazz by Vince Guaraldi
Modern Jewish Jazz by Gabriele Coen
Cheesemonster lounge by Arthur Lyman
There is even a 101 Strings version!

There are many, many, many more, but this is just a list of some of the wonderful interpretations I have found so far; many are are iTunes if you want to explore some more!

Gloria

But, neither he nor the article on NPR claim he wrote or invented the song. At 4:12, the broadcaster states, "Dick Dale's grandparents were born in Lebanon. As a child, he remembers his relatives play Misirlou, which means 'the Egyptian,' on the Middle Eastern lute called the 'oud.'"

Then he recounts how he would hear them play the melody while he drummed. The article (if you listen to it) goes on to recount how and why he turned it into a surf version. That part may be BS, but, he makes no claims to writing the number.

To Mahin's question, I think he *did* cite his influences.

I am curious to read the article (An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie) and will probably shuck out the $36USD for it. I have been collecting versions of Miserlou, as it is one of my favorite songs. I now have around 35 +/- versions (at last check, there were 200+ on iTunes), ranging from surf rock to Balkan to orchestrated to folk. It is interesting how the song can be rearranged to blend to a variety of genres, giving credence to the ideas put forth by the musicologist in the NPR article.

Interestingly enough, I asked a local band to record a version of it. When they did the research on the musical rights to it, they found that it is actually owned by the Greek Orthodox church (or, so they said. It may be another religious institution based on what NPR says.) Regardless, the price was prohibitive, so I have to live without hearing Julie's lovely voice on a CD, belting out my favorite tune. (Although, there is that one Youtube version that is out there . . . ;))

No, Anala, I never said he claimed to have written the song - I'm saying he likes people to think that he invented the music genre. The style of playing the guitar - that distinctive Omar Khorshid style that Dick Dale contributed to surf music - that's what he likes to claim he invented. When I asked Dick Dale directly about Omar Khorshid, he refused to even acknowledge the man let alone his influence on Dale's guitar interpretation - the style that made him a success. I think he counts on no one knowing about Omar Khorshid and likes to let people think he developed the style himself. I'm willing to bet I'm the only person who ever asked him the question. I think it's rather small of him.

The producer wasn't too impressed, either. When I talked with him about his conversations with Dick Dale, he rolled his eyes and said "Oh yeah, Dick Dale invented it ALL". The documentary was dropped.

Aniseteph

Dick Dale started the surf sound in 1961 or so. The twangy guitar was already there, albeit without that frantic twangity surf stuff. Hank Marvin and the Shadows did it - Apache made UK no 1 in 1960, FBI was in the charts for ages in early 1961.

According to this site Omar Khorshid was influenced by the Western pop of the time. Not the other way round - the timeline wouldn't makes sense as he'd have been 15 or 16 when twangy guitars with or without surfiness were all the rage in 1961. He took off a few years later.

Now I do wonder if there's any similarity between OK and DD's sound because of using oud techniques; all that intricate picking stuff? I have no idea. But in the early 60's either a) they both got there independently - oud technique plus trendy twangy electric guitar = similar new sound - or b) teenage OK was influenced by DD. Or the far more melodic and cool Hank Marvin. ;) :cool:

DD could have nicked it off someone else, but at the time he claims to have invented surf an OK influence sounds unfeasible to me.