Competitions and Music Preference- Stay true to your style or go for the trend?

lily_raks

I am going to participate on my first competition. I am still having second thoughts because they have never been my cup of tea just because I don't think I get to do something I love which is interact with the audience and entertain. The environment is just different and not something that appeals to me but what does appeal to me is to get feedback from the judges and just learn. So I'm still thinking of maybe not attending but if I do, I want to know your thoughts on music style. For what I've seen, the past winners of this competition have all used more modern music or arabic pop. I like that music for audience participation but for my shows I always chose classical egyptian or more traditional pieces. I love instrumental. Should I stick to my style knowing that this may give me even less chances at placing? Or should I choose something modern knowing that's what they may prefer? And I am clear that my chances at even placing are slim since the same girls compete year after year and I have always seen the winner be someone who competed the previous year. Maybe it is just my observation or coincidence. So I will be new and using (wanting to use) something that isn't too modern.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Go into the competition with the thought of gaining experience rather than being placed otherwise you'll be so stressed that it will affect your dancing. As for music, my personal opinion is, go with what you know and are comfortable with. Having said that I have never danced in a comp and never will:D and those who have may think differently, but I'd still go with what I know and am comfortable with. If the comp called for something I am not comfortable with I wouldn't enter ... just my 2 cents worth.
Have fun & good luck
~Mosaic

AndreaSTL

Speaking as someone else who's not entered a competition before, I'd say go with what you prefer. You will dance better to music you like and are comfortable with. Besides, sometimes it's best to stand out from the pack. I have heard judges say on several occasions, "When I heard she was dancing to 'Song X' I was (insert grunty groan here)." Assuming the judges are well known then it's likely they travel quite a bit and hear the same music over & over. They might be grateful you aren't using the pop song du jour. Good luck!

Leah

How did it go?

Lily,

How was the competition?

We haven't heard.

Please tell us what you decided for your music choice and what the competition was like.

Leah

lily_raks

Hi Ladies!

The competition is next month and I continue to practice although not daily like I should. I always prefer to improvise and know this song very well but one the reasons I wanted to enter a competition was to stick to a choreography. So I need to do a better job at that because each time I practice I just end up changing something. They may send me out for work travel on the dates of the competition :( but even if I end up not competing, I want to learn a choreography for the sake of learning a choreography. I am very good learning them in a troupe but as a soloist always improvise.

Thanks for asking! My song is Tamil from Mario Kirlis :)

Darshiva

Lily, pretend you're learning it for troupe but that on the day everyone has stood you up but the show must go on. Maybe that will help get you around the soloist choreo hurdle?

Also, what's wrong with fixing things with improv? ;)

lily_raks

Lily, pretend you're learning it for troupe but that on the day everyone has stood you up but the show must go on. Maybe that will help get you around the soloist choreo hurdle?

Also, what's wrong with fixing things with improv? ;)

Can't believe I just saw this. Love the idea! Will have to apply it sometime soon :)

Amulya

Stay true to yourself. A good judge should appreciate that more than someone who follows trends I think :)

Yame

I also vote for staying true to yourself. Perhaps adopt certain elements from the trend, but as far as musical choice and overall style, be who you are. You'll feel more comfortable and dance better that way, and the judges might appreciate something unique after seeing countless contestants out of the same cookie-cutter.

Roshanna

I'm a fan of slightly unorthodox music choices in competitions. The judges may not necessarily like you, but they'll at least remember which one you were! I've now done 2 competitions with no hope of placing, and did something a bit unusual in both cases (70s Lebanese oriental in the 1st one, and some pretty heavy saiidi in the 2nd). If I do another one next year, I may be a bit more 'normal' and do a modern oriental piece, but one with my favourite unusual rhythms in it ;). It's more fun to do whatever you're really into at the moment :)

Anyone watching will be thanking you for doing something a bit different too, as one 5-minute oriental entrance can be nice, but 20 in a row is hard to enjoy even for the most patient of us...

Stay true to yourself. A good judge should appreciate that more than someone who follows trends I think :)
Gosh, I wish I'd read this before!

I entered a competition last month for the first time. It wasn't a belly dance comp, it was a general one for performers of any discipline over 55. I was planning to do my Shaabi number, which I know I do well - teachers have come up and complimented me on my performance. However, one teacher told me that though it was "cute", it wouldn't have enough "impact" to impress a general audience. On her advice, I put together a sword routine with a drum solo finale. It got a great response from the audience but I didn't place (although one of the judges told me afterward that I came very close and it wasn't a unanimous decision).

I'm now wishing I had stuck with the dance I love - because from the judges' comments on the winners, it was obvious they were looking for warmth and character, which my Shaabi dance has in spades - I just bubble up with joy every time I dance it. So maybe if I'd done that, I would've placed higher.