Zorba's latest...

Safran

Someone suggested gold with this costume. I'm "all over" that idea - I need to get to my local MAC counter to get my hands on that liquid gold eyeliner I read about either here or on Bhuz.

It was me who wrote about it on Bhuz. I haven't had the time to go back to MAC to get it yet. And I can totally imagine it work with your costume!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
It was me who wrote about it on Bhuz. I haven't had the time to go back to MAC to get it yet. And I can totally imagine it work with your costume!
I'm planning on stopping by the MAC counter next week when I'm over that way.

Then I get to learn how to use it - :rolleyes:

Darshiva

Someone suggested gold with this costume. I'm "all over" that idea - I need to get to my local MAC counter to get my hands on that liquid gold eyeliner I read about either here or on Bhuz. Same dance sister as before told me she'd give me critique and feedback on my (pathetic) attempts to follow an on-line video tutorial with the stuff.

That was me and I love your arm drapes. Can you tell me how you made them?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That was me and I love your arm drapes. Can you tell me how you made them?
I'm flattered! I've never had someone ask me how I made a costume item before! :redface:

Its easy-peasy. Just make a fabric tube, but only sew the side seam together for roughly half its length. The side seam actually goes on the TOP of your arm when you wear them so the remainder splits away and falls below. Edge with sequins, or other edging of your choice (I've used both sequins and gold trim in the past - sequins work best if both sides receive them, although that hadn't been done when these pix were taken). The other end make into a normal elastic casing.

I call them "floating sleeves", although they're hardly my invention. I saw them somewhere and figured out and/or asked how to make them (I don't remember anymore). I like the way they leave the shoulder bare - yet add elegance to the ensemble as they soften the somewhat abrupt ending of a vest. They also have the excellent side benefit of artfully concealing my farmer's tan - as I wear 'em right above the tan line! :clap:

Here's a look at my white costume with the same kind of sleeves:

If you go to the previous index page (left arrow button), you'll see one additional picture of the white costume with the sleeves, then several of it without them (I call this the "Sacrificial Virgin" costume and I can wear it with, or without, a skirt).

I also have a set of sleeves that are the kind where both sleeves are made from one tube, which is open across the shoulders. Said set is WAY too narrow across my big male shoulders - but a pair of scissors and a bit of elastic will turn them into floating sleeves, but with bell ends instead of the drapes.

Last edited:

AndreaSTL

I missed this thread earlier, but I love that vest! It's colorful without being distracting. You really did get lucky for the vest and skirt to go together so well.

What size elastic are you using with the sleeves? I make most of the skirts I sell, and I've been wanting to add sleeves but I'm never sure how big to make the top. I feel an anonymous poll coming on.... At any rate, are you going narrow with 1/4" elastic, or is it a bit wider? I would think the narrow stuff would be less flattering, but maybe not.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
What size elastic are you using with the sleeves? I make most of the skirts I sell, and I've been wanting to add sleeves but I'm never sure how big to make the top. I feel an anonymous poll coming on.... At any rate, are you going narrow with 1/4" elastic, or is it a bit wider? I would think the narrow stuff would be less flattering, but maybe not.
1/2". Enough to distribute the load without digging in. Same stuff as is frequently used for Zill elastic.

I understand your confusion about "how big" as I make them to be close to my arm size. Any smaller, they wouldn't fit - any larger and they'd look all wrong at the elastic. If you're making 'em for other people, my recommendation is to get an upper arm diameter from the client.

Last edited:

Yshka

Omg, you look awesome Zorba, I love your new costume!!
On stage the blue looks lovely and I think it's nice that that blue is also visible in the costume. Gold might look cool for a setting closer to the audience and provide for a whole different look.

Also love how the costume works perfectly for the shamadan!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Also love how the costume works perfectly for the shamadan!
Thank you for your kind words!

I'm compelled to add that it would have looked even better had the "candles" been turned on - grumble, grumble, mutter... :mad::( :lol:

AndreaSTL

1/2". Enough to distribute the load without digging in. Same stuff as is frequently used for Zill elastic.

I understand your confusion about "how big" as I make them to be close to my arm size. Any smaller, they wouldn't fit - any larger and they'd look all wrong at the elastic. If you're making 'em for other people, my recommendation is to get an upper arm diameter from the client.
Thanks! Yeah, that's why I haven't made sleeves. I don't know who my client is at the time I make the skirts, so I have no idea how big to make the sleeve. :(

Ariadne

Since you don't mind comments about makeup. :)

You mentioned your farmers tan once. Have you considered getting a foundation that will match the skin on your chest and upper arms and using it on your upper neck, face, and hands?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Since you don't mind comments about makeup. :)

You mentioned your farmers tan once. Have you considered getting a foundation that will match the skin on your chest and upper arms and using it on your upper neck, face, and hands?
Yea, kinda...

I've recently switched foundation & powder in an attempt to lighten my face a bit - its on order from our MK gal, I don't have it in hand yet. Seems that using makeup on my hands would rapidly turn into some kind of disaster... *shrug*

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thanks! Yeah, that's why I haven't made sleeves. I don't know who my client is at the time I make the skirts, so I have no idea how big to make the sleeve. :(
Maybe you could have several sizes partially pre-made? Finish them up when an order comes in? I dunno - I'm not a vendor!

Amulya

It's all good again, it was so weird: Farhana's avatar was showing up on your posts. Not anymore.

Greek Bonfire

I'm going to be the dark horse and go with the blue eye shadow mostly because on stage it does define the eyes and give them a lot of depth. Those lights will soak up a lot of the blue yet leave behind the depth. Copper and gold could get washed out. For other events requiring more closeups and much less light, then go for the gold (pun intended).