Zorba's latest...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Here is my latest costume, shown at Carnival of Stars last Saturday (08/04/12):

The vest and belt set were purchased 95% completed from another male dancer - Hassan Yousef Deeb. The skirt was about 75% done, given to me by another dancer. I added the flounce at the bottom, and a casing at the top. The "floating sleeves" were made by yours truly.

It was just SO COOL that, despite coming from disparate sources, the vest/belt and skirt went together so well!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Fabulous Zorba, it really looks great! Looks like each piece were definitely made for each other:D:clap:
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Oooooooooo! Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

Have you considered brown/gold eye shadow with this costume rather than blue? The bright blue is a tad distracting.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oooooooooo! Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

Have you considered brown/gold eye shadow with this costume rather than blue? The bright blue is a tad distracting.
I was "trying" to pickup on the blue in the costume...

I'll reserve judgement until I see the (big) stage pix - I definitely am over done in this closeup.

Shanazel

I figure that was what you were trying to do but blue eyeshadow has a tendency to overwhelm everything in its vicinity. ;)

Darshiva

I'd go with gold. It'll match both the costume & your lovely complexion better. :D

Actually, I did a test by blocking out your eyes & looking at the pic and the blue in the costume was more apparent when I did that than as is. Something to consider. ;)

M'Lady Caija

The blue eyeshadow is to much, but I really like the ensamble! go with gold, ochra, or some red henne-colours. Think that would be great :)

When do we get to see the costume in action? ;)

Amulya

Yes I think copper and gold for eye shadow would work really well! Lucky that the skirt you were given match the belt/vest so well. Saves making one :)

Btw didn't you use to have a longer beard?

Ariadne

Ohhhhh! That is just incredible Zorba. :clap:

I have to agree on the makeup though. Something gold and smokey would be awesome with that outfit.

Amulya

How weird, why did I think that? Must be something else that's different in the picture that made me think you looked different, must be the blue eye shadow haha!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
How weird, why did I think that? Must be something else that's different in the picture that made me think you looked different, must be the blue eye shadow haha!

Snort! :lol:

For pictures "in action", go to:

And click on the 2 center pix in the upper row. The blue eyeshadow looks MUCH better on stage!

Amulya

Stage is always different. Strange how make up just shows as different colours, the blue on stage is a whole different blue suddenly!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Stage is always different. Strange how make up just shows as different colours, the blue on stage is a whole different blue suddenly!
Yep. That makeup was an experiment based on that idea. A dance sister told me:

"Intimate Cabaret performance? High-class call girl makeup.
Big stage performance? Crack whore." :lol::lol:

Someone suggested gold with this costume. I'm "all over" that idea - I need to get to my local MAC counter to get my hands on that liquid gold eyeliner I read about either here or on Bhuz. Same dance sister as before told me she'd give me critique and feedback on my (pathetic) attempts to follow an on-line video tutorial with the stuff.

Makeup is a challenge, especially for a 52 year old male!

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I was "trying" to pickup on the blue in the costume...

I'll reserve judgement until I see the (big) stage pix - I definitely am over done in this closeup.

Your costume is beautiful! :D Is this the one you were working on awhile back and posted pics of?

From what my teacher has taught us, we're supposed to look "overdone" when not on the stage, so you don't look washed-out when you're performing, so up close, we're suppose to look a bit frightening! :lol:

Trying to pick up on the blue of the costume is a good idea, but I think I would use that blue as a liner on the upper lids over the gold/copper shadows. I do that a lot with emerald green when I wear a costume in that color. :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Your costume is beautiful! :D Is this the one you were working on awhile back and posted pics of?
Yep.
From what my teacher has taught us, we're supposed to look "overdone" when not on the stage, so you don't look washed-out when you're performing, so up close, we're suppose to look a bit frightening! :lol:
Yep.
Trying to pick up on the blue of the costume is a good idea, but I think I would use that blue as a liner on the upper lids over the gold/copper shadows. I do that a lot with emerald green when I wear a costume in that color. :)
I'll try that - sounds yummy actually. I'm stopping at the MAC counter next week...

Amulya

It's so true: if it doesn't look overdone close up, you won't see anything of it on stage. I have had moments where I started to panick a tiny bit because I couldn't lump on more make up and it still wasn't visible enough haha.