wow......

Farasha Hanem

Okay, this video has nothing to do with bellydance, but it's a perfect example of what we say over and over again on this forum: you can't take just any old music and put it to a specific dance genre without turning it into something else. This video received a lot of negative comments from oldsters like me (I wasn't one of the people who commented) who were young in the '60's because the instructor used Katy Perry instead of authentic twist music. Not to say that what she did wasn't as cute as all get-out, it was, but if a person titles an instructional video as a specific dance genre, it would be better to use the appropriate music:

I'm not real sure this is even fusion... :think: :confused:

EDIT: Hokay, couldn't help but leave a nice comment about being careful about labeling a minute ago. :confused:

Last edited:

Aniseteph

As EVERYONE (apart from these young folks :rolleyes:) knows, the basic Twist is putting a cigarette out on the floor :naghty: while drying your behind on a towel. If you don't start there you got nothing. And the music, obviously. <contemptuous snort>
I love how in the Bop one she managed to p*$$ off a Bop expert. Yay dance pedants everywhere, highfive! :dance:

If you are going to mess with retro, do it properly.

Farasha Hanem

That pretty much goes for messing with anything! :lol:

I love fusion when it's well-done and labelled properly, but when it's not, it can be very confusing to someone not familiar with the elements of a fusion piece that's improperly misnamed. When I was looking up dance styles of the '60's yesterday (taking a walk down Memory Lane), I ran into the clip I posted and thought, "I don't remember the Twist being danced that way!" :confused: I remember it the way Aniseteph described it. Yes, it's cute, but it's not the same. :confused:

Of course, we've made this point again and again about bellydance, and it may seem like I'm just being a broken record here. But as long as there are those out there who insist on not clarifying what they are doing, there will always be the need to keep repeating ourselves. :confused:

@Aniseteph THAT was Beyonce???? oO;;;

Last edited:

Shanazel

Well, one can hardly justify making a video of a dance that is as simple as mashing out a cigarette and drying one's posterior with a towel. Gotta tweak that thing until it's complex. :cool:

Wonder what she could do with the Freddie?