Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The first conversation

I spent the morning returning calls from perspective students about the new beginner class. I have always found it kinda weird that students ask about the price first, when it is, and finally what to wear. No one ever asks if I'm qualified or even what style of belly dance it is. Occasionally they ask if they are too young/old for the class.

Students: What did you ask your teacher the first time you spoke?

Teachers: Have you ever had anyone ask you in-depth questions on the first call?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    My first teacher? I wanted to know if she knew what to do with a male in her class!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw her dance. I didn't ask a thing- I just signed up, turned up, and never looked back.

I usually get price questions early on but I'm not surprised- many people are on strict budgets and dance classes rank as "extras." I think people assume if you are teaching you are qualified. Look at what we put up with in public schools as "qualified." Pet peeve: a certification doesn't make you a teacher any more than a dog tag makes you a border collie.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I found out about the class the day before it started and called and asked if there was a free spot for me and if I could come. She said yes and here I am nine years later

Post Thanks / Like

Hubby (then still my boyfriend) had been saying for years that he thought I'd enjoy bellydance. So eventually I just walked over to the community college, paid the money & signed up.

As it turns out that community college is renknowned for having the most incompetent teachers in every class. Mine was no different. (Let me tell you the time when my art teacher left the class, I applied for the job & was rejected, but ended up teaching the class anyway while the one who was hired smoked and drank coffee with her boyfriend, or stood around mixing paint!)
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent the morning returning calls from perspective students about the new beginner class. I have always found it kinda weird that students ask about the price first, when it is, and finally what to wear. No one ever asks if I'm qualified or even what style of belly dance it is. Occasionally they ask if they are too young/old for the class.
    To be fair, the general public usually knows so little about bd that they may have trouble knowing what questions to ask. I cannot for the life of me remember meeting my teacher, I just know I found her on some dance teacher directory. (I had already been learning it from a friend and obsessing over it). But I know that even when I finally signed up for a class, I had no comprehension of just how many styles exist in bellydance. I seriously only knew the mainstream pop versions from videos I watched of Haifa Webhe, Ruby, Miriam Fares, etc., since I was really into ME pop music then.

As for qualifications, unfortunately it's hard to judge when you're a beginner. Dancers have very different backgrounds, so the lack of certification standards means you don't know what specifically the dancer/teacher should have accomplished.

I had been dancing with my teacher for about a year when I also decided to dabble in another class near my college, too. By that point I could tell what was qualified and what was not...Every time I tried to talk to this second teacher about bellydance history/culture, her responses would go something like, "Interesting! I didn't know that!" In the end I dropped out after about five classes because she spent more time talking about moon worship and chakras than dance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Maria View Post
    To be fair, the general public usually knows so little about bd that they may have trouble knowing what questions to ask.
    Absolutely, I know I didn't have a clue.

The first time I called my first concern was if she taught at a time I could make it then when she did I basically begged her to take me, then I asked the cost.

I had been looking for a teacher for several years and the only classes I had found before her were at a time I could not make it under any circumstances. I lucked out. I had no idea there were different styles and the classes I couldn't make it to turned out to be ITS which is NOT what I was looking for.

I didn't even think about whether she was qualified because she was literally my only option.

Post Thanks / Like

My very first class, I didn't know there were different styles, or what sort of qualifications to look for. I knew someone who took the class, and that was good enough for me. The pricing was on the website, so the only thing I asked was if if I could register over the phone, and what to wear. As a student, price was a huge issue for me, and it would have been the first question, if I hadn't already gotten an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Teachers: Have you ever had anyone ask you in-depth questions on the first call?
    As a student, I just signed up. I didn't have any questions, other than "is the class full yet this term?" It was full for a couple of sessions, so I couldn't get in right away.

I'm not a teacher, but if I were, I think that a beginner student asking about my qualifications or philosophy would weird me out. If the student is more advanced, questioning a new-to-her teacher about her curriculum and expectations make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked for a class close to home, found one & signed up, stayed with that class for about 18 months (at that point was beginning to see, she wasn't the best teacher), found another new class starting up, and her classes were a different day, so joined and oh boy the difference was amazing, so at the end of the current term with the first teacher, I told her I was moving on because she was changing venues & it was a little further away. Then 2 years later i saw this amazing dancer and she blew me away, joined her classes and have been with her the last 5 years as well as teacher number 2, for 7 years, they both teach Egyptian, and are darn good, but have different energies, and focus, so it is great for me, I am not stuck in a rut following the same old patterns.

Basically I didn't ask any Questions, except where the classes were held, the days and times Once I realised i love BD, I began to research heaps, and gained more and more knowledge, and I of course found myself buying DVDs & books ( & still do)
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast