Do We Need a Section for "Middle Eastern Dance History and Culture"?

shiradotnet

I'm preparing to let everyone know about a new article on Shira.net that talks about Badia Masabni. As I was trying to decide which section to post it in, none of them seemed to fit. I'll probably post it in "styles" since that seems to fit best.

But it made me think it's interesting that we have sections for a lot of topics that are kind of peripheral to belly dance - costuming, buying & selling, teachers/students, male dancers - but not anything specifically tied to the very foundation of our dance, Middle Eastern dance history and culture.

Whatever you decide (whether to create a history/culture section or not) is ok, just thought I'd suggest it in case there are others who like the idea.

gisela

Super Moderator
I think it's a good idea. Salome has been thinking of doing some updates to the forum structure so this could be a nice change.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Ditto to what Gisela said, I do like the idea of a Dance History/Art/Culture section.
~Mosaic

khanjar

I for one welcome the idea of a history section and that because fact has the lovely habit of squishing fanciful interpretations under the banner of if it has existed before, there is no reason why it should not exist today i.e. History educates the future.

Has any belly dance website done it, has any web location managed to pot the academic history of belly dance, if not, why not this website be the first to attempt to turn myth and fantasy into fact.

Sure there are a few academic works regarding the history of belly dance but they don't come to the wider audience due to their academic nature, that is where a website such as this can flourish by drawing attention to academic works and even using such to pot a true history of belly dance so belly dancers and those interested can understand without wading through often very dry academic prose, where one unless they are very determined or have a vested interest tend to lose interest and quickly from my experience.

What I see from what I have read of academic study into the origins of belly dance, is there are numerous fragments of information, these fragments being in depth studies and studies into non related subjects, but I have found in such studies facts that coincide with belly dance, as it is me to at leisure study the various empires that existed in the region, but all they are are fragments, what is needed is for those fragments to be brought together to sit side by side in one place so a more complete picture can be formed.

For example of my study, I noticed through art in this case the Cafe dancer the swords being used were of Ottoman design thus giving some credence to an artist who was otherwise thought to be fanciful and where credit is awarded through the details many don't often notice there comes the notion that other works might not be as fantastic as was once thought.

shiradotnet

Has any belly dance website done it, has any web location managed to pot the academic history of belly dance, if not, why not this website be the first to attempt to turn myth and fantasy into fact.

Sure there are a few academic works regarding the history of belly dance but they don't come to the wider audience due to their academic nature, that is where a website such as this can flourish by drawing attention to academic works and even using such to pot a true history of belly dance so belly dancers and those interested can understand without wading through often very dry academic prose, where one unless they are very determined or have a vested interest tend to lose interest and quickly from my experience.

Khanjar, have you ever seen the section of my web site with belly dance history? Index to the "About Belly Dance" Section of Shira.net

For example of my study, I noticed through art in this case the Cafe dancer the swords being used were of Ottoman design thus giving some credence to an artist who was otherwise thought to be fanciful and where credit is awarded through the details many don't often notice there comes the notion that other works might not be as fantastic as was once thought.

Are you referring to the Sabre Dance in a Cafe painting by Jean-Leon Gerome? There's an article about Orientalist painters, including Gerome (who DID spend some time in Egypt) on my web site - it was written by a dancer who is working on a PhD in art history: Imagining Movement: Orientalist Paintings and Photographs of Middle Eastern Dancers

Ariadne

I rather like the idea too. If the forum is created is there any chance of getting existing threads that would fit moved there?

shiradotnet

I rather like the idea too. If the forum is created is there any chance of getting existing threads that would fit moved there?

I think the biggest challenge is that it would be time-consuming to go back, look at old threads, and decide which ones to move. If someone was willing to go choose a bunch of threads and provide a list of links to the moderators, it might make things a lot easier for them.

walladah

not only i agree, but i think it is necessary,

so that we can have all related threads there and be able to consult all this rich information that our sisters have contributed to this forum!!!

Sophia Maria

I think the biggest challenge is that it would be time-consuming to go back, look at old threads, and decide which ones to move. If someone was willing to go choose a bunch of threads and provide a list of links to the moderators, it might make things a lot easier for them.

I would definitely be open to helping look at old threads. Lord knows I spend enough time on these forums anyway, haha!!

gisela

Super Moderator

yes, that could absolutely work. If Salome creates the subforum, then we could start a thread where people can link any threads that should be moved, and the mods can do it whenever we have time.

Duvet

I think its a great idea for new section.

And the idea for a group effort in pulling all the relevant existing threads together just reflects how this whole forum can work as a mutually supporting and co-operative team.

Salome

Administrator
You bet we can do that. Over the years we have added and subtracted forums as they have been suggested by members... We will set this one up asap.