How do you get started?

trill

Hello:) I've always been interested in belly dancing and reading how this dance has become a passion to so many of you has definitely pushed me to join a class! I just don't really know how to go about it. I live in Los Angeles County so there's an abundance of classes and teachers to choose from. So far I really like the Egyptian style so do I look for that specifically or is that what is commonly taught? I want to learn the art of belly dance from a serious instructor and not a 24 hour fitness version of it. If anyone has recommendations or could just advise me on how to find a legitimate class I would really, really appreciate it!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I suggest you phone a few teachers, & speak with them tell them what you are seeking/would like to learn and see if it is possible to drop into a class to see if it would work for you, even if you had pay a 1 off nominal fee, or just see if you can go & watch a class. That way you will get an idea of what is taught, how it is taught & the overall dynamic of the class.

Do ask the teacher how long she has been dancing and how long she has been teaching. If she says something like she only took a few lessons then began to teach, I'd be very careful about joining that class. For your first teacher/classes try to find an established teacher who is pretty well known & see if you can come along for a trial class, or if you can watch a class. You can also check the internet when you have a name to see if she has her own website and what info about her style, classes, experience is there. maybe you can find the teacher on youtube as well to give you an idea if it is worth pursuing that particular class.

Good luck hope you find a nice teacher & class soon.
~Mosaic

AndreaSTL

So far I really like the Egyptian style so do I look for that specifically or is that what is commonly taught?
Don't make the assumption - ask to be sure! Mosaic gave you great advice, but I would do it in reverse: check out the web sites and then make calls. If you're interested in Egyptian style you can ignore the studios where the pictures show them in tribal or fusion costumes. Just remember that a slick web site doesn't necessarily equal great instruction. ;) If the content seems right to you make the call.

I wholeheartedly agree that you should check out several classes in person before you make your selection. You are lucky to have so much to choose from! At least one of them should feel like "home" to you; one where you like the teacher's dance style and the way she runs her studio. Great dancers aren't always great teachers, so don't just make your decision from YouTube clips.

Have fun!!

da Sage

I have the exact opposite idea of how you should proceed.

If you can get a recommendation that you feel good about, sign up with that teacher. You don't need to call and ask any questions, other than perhaps, "I am a brand new beginner student and anxious to get started, is your current/next class a good time for that?"

Otherwise, pick a teacher that you feel good about from her performances and/or publicity. You don't have to choose the perfect teacher right now...you only have to choose your first teacher right now. You can always change teachers later.

Seriously, don't over-think it. You might wind up with a brilliantly talented, competent, kind, and ethical teacher...who happens to annoy the living cr@p out of you. That's reason enough to change teachers if you can find better options. Or you might luck out with a teacher who you'll want to stay with for years.

You won't really know if a teacher is right for you until you spend some time in her class. And I think it's a good idea to sign up for a full session of classes right away, if you're serious about the art.

Last edited:

trill

Awh thanks everybody for the good advice! So far there's three studios I'm going to go check out tomorrow >:) & honestly it's all because of these responses..when I posted my question I decided if no one answered I would take it as a sign to not bellydance (not the most logical way to live life I know haha) but you guys came through so thank you all once again!:)