Thread: Bd frump

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bd frump

I am in a frump. I have a very hard time knowing when I've learned something enough to move on. i am not sure if I should study the basics again or move on to something better.

and I am not sure in which direction I should be going. so many things to learn so many styles to love.

I am just having a hard time with my dance and drills not having enough focus and direction,.

ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I work on a couple of things at a time. Say, a particular folk style, an orientale interpretation/choreography - and basics. So, from time to time I will check out my plain technique - is it slipping? Can I layer it with XYZ? Anything not up to scratch I go back to drilling it - with focused attention. I also keep a list of interesting things I'd like to work on and occasionally pull one out - or go back over old workshop notes and re-do stuff.

Belly dance is a work in progress. The question is not so much have you learnt it - but have you squeezed out the juice from the resources you currently have - and if so are you interested in deepening your understanding by getting different resources.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I never feel like I've learned anything enough to move on ! Do what feels right, I think. Don't force yourself to practice something if you're really not feeling it that day, but still find some discipline in your practice. If you like to practice several times a week, mix it up depending on how you feel that day. One day shimmy practice, one day improv, and then another day maybe follow along with an insturctional DVD. Look around for a workshop on a subject you haven't really explored before, and that might actually inspire you to go back to the basics again to rethink the way you dance. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

okay. well normally I dance almost everyday minus one or 2 days and minus when its THAT time of the month.

okay, I appreciat it. I have a workshop coming up with Morocco next month. I CAN'T wait. you have NO idea lol.

way too excited. omg.

okay. gotta calm down now. I do realize my hips are tight and weak. and mylegs aren't very strong for some moves. and some of the jazz and ballet used in modern bd is hard for me.