The Zaghareet (ululations)

beachbunny

Do you make this noise when watching others belly dance?

I have been trying to make this sound, but its so difficult! From what people have said, it's just a high pitch sound while moving your tongue up and down? But for some reason it doesn't sound right when I try to! :lol:

So I just end doing a couple high pitched yips.

Kashmir

I used to do it but now I'm not convinced it is appropriate.

You want to make an open vowel sound. Then, for Turkish style - yes your tongue goes up & down. For Egyptian style, you close your lips more and move the tongue sideways. Best to have someone show you in person.

I'd avoid yipping! If you want to make noise why not call out something like "Aiwa!".

beachbunny

Ohh I see! Thanks for the advice! I should ask my classmates how to do it in person next time I see them! And I do wonder about when it is or is not appropriate! I don't see a problem with when you are practicing, but in front of an audience it could distract the viewers. I know a few people were looking at one of my classmates who was doing it when we had a small showcase at my school.

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

Well... It depends on the setting. If its in the dance community then whatever you want to do is fine. However, in traditional societies, meaning Egypt, Lebanon, north Africa it all depends. Most of the time this is done at the announcement of an engagement, at engagement parties, like the henna night and of course the wedding day and reception, especially when the bride and groom are brought into the room.

In certain classes during a performance, this would be considered very low class. For example, at the 5 star night clubs, nobody did this or threws tips. In other environments it's okay. It's done to express great joy or excitement. I would say when in doubt don't and just follow the lead of the people present. But it isn't something you do just to be doing it. Its an expression of genuine emotion.

There areseveral ways to do it. Most Africans, (North Africans included), and people in the arabian Penninsula, do it by making a high pitched yell and wiggling the tongue side to side. However, you can also do it by flicking the tongue across the edge of your top teeth. Then there are certain places like Algeria, parts of Morocco, East Africa and Central Africa where they do the you,you you, stretching out the last one.

Last edited:

Darshiva

It's actually pretty funny, but if I am enjoying ANYTHING I let one rip. Hubby & I also play 'spot the bellydancer' if we hear one go in the cinema or anywhere else where it would not normally be heard. Sometimes we're wrong, but often it's a great way to meet new dancers!

Jane

I've only heard Tribal dancers yip and hissing seems to be an almost exclusively American thing. Dancer noises are probably a regional thing, at least in the U.S.

Personally, I hate the hiss. ;)

beachbunny

haha I love the just say lalalala really fast and high pitched! it makes it sound much easier!

I love all these replies they are very informative and I love the new thing I am learning!:clap:

I probably yip a lot since my class is half tribal fusion! Whenever I am having fun or feel like I want to encourage a belly dancer I let out a yip, but I really want to practice the lalalalala one hehe.:dance:

Janene Aliza

I've only heard Tribal dancers yip and hissing seems to be an almost exclusively American thing. Dancer noises are probably a regional thing, at least in the U.S.

Personally, I hate the hiss. ;)

I have never, ever heard hissing at a performance (only zaghareet)...where in the States does this occur??

AndreaSTL

In the US it seems appropriate, especially if the audience is all Western. I was also taught to yell "aiwa" or "yella". I never do the latter and will occasionally zaghareet but it's usually at the end of a performance. I only do it if I'm truly moved; it seems like some people do it for every performer and for me it loses it's intent that way.

In Cairo I have never heard anything other than "bravo" and clapping to express approval/enjoyment of the dancer. Guess that means I'm only hitting the high-end joints, right, Tarik? LOL :lol:

As for hissing, the first time I heard it I thought it was so rude. I had no idea it was an expression of approval for fluid, slinky movement. I've only heard it for tribal dancers, and I still don't care for it. I think for me it will always have the connotation of the audience NOT liking your performance and getting booed and hissed at. I've heard it as far north as Chicago and as far south as Texas, so I don't think it's just a regional thing. I just can't bring myself to hiss at another dancer - good or bad!

shiradotnet

I have never, ever heard hissing at a performance (only zaghareet)...where in the States does this occur??

I heard it in the San Francisco Bay Area already back in the mid-1980's when I was a student. It was commonplace back then. I heard a rumor (don't know if it's true) that it was started by Jamila Salimpour. The hissing is supposed to be a compliment that means, "You're as fluid and sinuous as a snake."

Given that tribal got started in the San Francisco area, I believe that the tribal community learned it there and spread it as the style spread.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
As for hissing, the first time I heard it I thought it was so rude. I had no idea it was an expression of approval for fluid, slinky movement. I've only heard it for tribal dancers, and I still don't care for it. I think for me it will always have the connotation of the audience NOT liking your performance and getting booed and hissed at. I've heard it as far north as Chicago and as far south as Texas, so I don't think it's just a regional thing. I just can't bring myself to hiss at another dancer - good or bad!
I first heard, and heard of, hissing in my Greek Dance days. So it isn't just BD.

Daimona

Around here zaghareets happens if the occasion is right, the dancer is fabulous and the audience truly enjoys it (and that someone in the audience knows how to do it). I've never heard hissing, and only occansionally yipping (from tribal dancers, but there aren't many of them around here).

Sophia Maria

I first learned zaghareet by basically saying LELELELELE as fast as possible (essentially tongue goes up and down), but whenever I listen to old Egyptian recordings where the audience is very loud and appreciative, it always sounds like they are doing the side to side ululation. To me it sounds remarkably different. Once I started doing that too it seems much more natural.
-Definitely depends on the setting, I don't do it very much at all, only when I'm really moved by the dancing. I love to hear it when I'm on stage, though. It makes me open up more and enjoy myself.

Hissing I've almost never heard...and quite honestly I'm really not ok with it. If I heard that while dancing I think I would be intimidated, not encouraged...

Jane

"A DINGO ATE MY BABY" goes through my mind every time I hear the yip. Probably an association with wild dog noises.

Bet I'm the only one who does that :redface:

Pirika Repun

In NYC, you can hear hissing any occasion. Not only Tribal, fusion, but American Oriental and Egyptian style as well. First time I heard hissing the person explain at hafla "hissing is somebody did slow and sexy moves, you give them compliment" or something like that. But I don't know that is true or not. I HATE hissing! I heard this is only American thing, and in any Arabic country they don't do hissing. BUT people who do hissing most of times believe this is from Arabic culture... :shok:

Zaghareet, I do occasionally, but When I watch YouTube, I hear more whistle than zaghareet at Egyptian dancers. :whistle:

Greek Bonfire

How can you hear hissing over all those other ululations, zaghareets, yips, etc.? :D Good thing I don't only because I'm not too thrilled with hissing, but that's just me.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
How can you hear hissing over all those other ululations, zaghareets, yips, etc.? :D Good thing I don't only because I'm not too thrilled with hissing, but that's just me.
A slight threadjack:

The troupe I founded performed at Rakkasah on the Cabaret stage. We used a yip! as a cue to regulate the length of each of our individual "solo moments". I was the official counter and yipper - we figured my much lower pitched male yip would be unique enough that it wouldn't be confused with any noises the audience might make.

Wrong.

One of my dance sisters had her solo portion cut short because a yip came out of the audience that sounded EXACTLY like mine! I think/hope it wasn't an on purpose thing - but said dance sister returned to the lineup a measure and a half early! I had to extend my solo to cover for it!