The Tumultuous Switch from ATS to TF

Jess

How, oh how do you do it? My inspirations are RB, Zoe and Kami. Basically all the obvious ones :) I have their videos, have taken their workshops, but that is not enough. I am so used to ATS (which I still love)...so my body has been accustomed to those one-sided movements, and my mind is used to group improv.

So here's my question: How do I develop the grace, flexibility, strength and independence these dancers exude? Please list time commitments, workout/yoga routines, other styles of dance to practice, etc...anything you think that could help a budding TF* dancer.

Thank you kindly <3

*for now, please assume 'fusion' is related to the three examples I am inspired by...I will work on building my own style after I study theirs for a bit. I want to keep the TF vs ATS vs ITS vs WTF debacle out of this post :)

Jess

Just ballet, tap and ballroom dancing. None too extensively though. I was also a cheerleader for awhile and was in a singing/ dancing group in high school.

Farasha Hanem

Hi, Jess! Is there a teacher nearby offering classes in TF? If not, here's a list of DVD recommendations that you may be able to find for cheap on Amazon:

Bellydance Arms And Posture - Rachel Brice
Bellydance Basics, Combinations, & Strength Workout by East Coast Tribal
Killer Drillz with Zoe Jakes
Serpentine - Rachel Brice
Tribal Fusion Bellydance - Rachel Brice
Tribal Fusion Bellydance with Sharon Kihara
Tribal Fusions Fundamentals - Kami Liddle, Moria, Samantha and Sherri

Rachel's instructionals are packed with lots of yoga sessions as well as drills. Sharon's DVD also has a yoga session as well as some conditioning drills, and she teaches a little choreo that's fun. Best to you! :)

Edit: Oh, blarrrrrrgh, I just reread your post and realized you said you have their videos already...arrrrgh, I wasn't any help at all! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Last edited:

Jane

I'd recommend taking a pop and lock class and taking an American oriental belly dance class, but one that is rooted in Jamilah Salimpour style. Since you already have your ATS base, the others are the primary dance styles that make up most Tribal Fusion. If you can't find a class, explore instructional videos. Good luck!

Yame

I don't do TF, but if I was interested in learning the style, I would take classes in the following:

ATS (looks like you already got that covered)
Suhaila-format belly dance
Yoga
Pop&lock style hip hop

Jess

Thanks for all the suggestions! I forgot to mention that I have taken hip hop before, but the teacher I had didn't challenge me enough (I am a perfectionist ;)..). I'll have to find a new teacher somewhere else.

I am also thinking about hiring a Egyptian cabaret instructor to teach my group at school, but I am not sure if it's the same style you mentioned...does anyone know? Here's her website: Samantha Fairuz

Also, can someone help me with the ever-present issue of time commitment? I keep on hearing 'one hour a day' but it really doesn't seem like enough. Thoughts?

Ariadne

One hour is the minimum. Serious dancer who are pro's do at least four but not everyone has that kind of time.

I'd recommend taking a pop and lock class and taking an American oriental belly dance class, but one that is rooted in Jamilah Salimpour style.
This. Rachel Brice at least had a foundation in American Cabaret style dance first. No Egyptian Cabaret isn't the same but it never hurts to learn more then one style.

Jess

Thanks for the help. Do you know if professionals dance in their style for four straight hours, or does that time also include cardio, strength and stretching sessions? As an engineering student I'll be lucky to get two hours in, but it's better than nothing! Right now I dance with my group about six hours a week, doing mostly ATS and a little yoga.

As far as the 'other' belly dance style...I'm having difficulty finding 'American Oriental' in my area. Shira's website pointed me to a few 'American Classic' belly dance teachers, is that similar? If not, can you recommend an online resource? Thanks again!

Ariadne

I believe that 4 hours includes everything.

<- *checks Shira's teachers lists.

There is a lot of teachers in "American Classic" in Milwaukee isn't there? It's not the same (close second, yes, the same, no) but it never hurts to just call and ask. When I checked Galatea's website (she was the only one who had one) it says on her Bio page that she has "taken workshops with master instructors from America (Suhaila Salimpour...". Workshops are not necessarily the same of course but it's possible that the other teachers who have listed American Classic as their style has more training as well.

I would recommend just calling them and asking. Tell them you are looking to round out your training for your Tribal Fusion skills and need a teacher familiar with the "Salimpour" style. With that many options I will be surprised if at least one isn't.